Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

radar anyone?...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> radar anyone?... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
radar anyone?... - 10/29/2014 5:19:55 PM   
mgaffn1

I am looking for some suggestions for how to simulate a radar installation. My first attempt was to create a ground Subformation, classify it as a FLAK unit with little or no attack value, no mobility, and give it 99 spotting points, and a range of 5 hexes.
Results were pretty boring, the spotting didn't seem to effect it, and it didn't help my interceptors any...

Which leads to the second part of my query: is a radar installation even necessary? You could argue that the radar feature is already built into fighter technology. With each tech level increase, your fighters intercept ability increases.

Has anyone else considered this?

Mike
Post #: 1
RE: radar anyone?... - 10/29/2014 5:58:56 PM   
ernieschwitz

Bombur and I considered to simulate Radar, in GD 1938, using intercept values, that could be higher for when radar was researched. However it turned out that intercept values are only used on an opponents turn, making the programming we had done function the exact opposite of intended.

Tweber did some changes to the recon values when you had researched his version of the Radar research. This was in WaW. Basically you got bigger range and better spotting, when you had it researched. But of course this included groundforces too....

So some attempts of a Radar have been made.

(in reply to mgaffn1)
Post #: 2
RE: radar anyone?... - 10/30/2014 5:00:44 PM   
mgaffn1

I'll check out Tweber's WaW scenario.

I recall the original Advanced Tactics had "scouts" or "spotters" as a ground Subformation. I check that out too.

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 3
RE: radar anyone?... - 10/30/2014 6:46:12 PM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: mgaffn1

Which leads to the second part of my query: is a radar installation even necessary? You could argue that the radar feature is already built into fighter technology. With each tech level increase, your fighters intercept ability increases.

Has anyone else considered this?

Yes you could argue that indeed, but IMHO it could be another worthy addition in ATG. It is my general feeling that the map could use some enhancements such as radar, minefields, coastal bunkers, etc. So yes radar would work nicely in my opinion. How it would work is another thing... maybe better intercept chances or higher kill ratio?

(in reply to mgaffn1)
Post #: 4
RE: radar anyone?... - 10/31/2014 5:23:12 PM   
mgaffn1

Funny you should mention that - I've been considering coastal bunkers and flak towers as well. In fact, these locationtypes would be easier to build than radar installations.

How to actually make radar work within the current game architecture would be to buy research that either 1) enables the player to upgrade his planes with better spotting, range, and kill ratios, or 2) have the research trigger an event that "mutates" or "morphs" existing units to improved models, with higher spotting/range/kill ratio. Can't recall the exact coding, will need to look in the editor.

If I had better coding skills, I could build more effects/variables into locationtypes. Instead, any simulation of improved radar is going to have to be executed via subformationtypes.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 5
RE: radar anyone?... - 11/1/2014 3:11:57 PM   
Vic

Making a note if I can transfer the intercept range to a SFType specific setting in a next version.

Best wishes,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to mgaffn1)
Post #: 6
RE: radar anyone?... - 11/1/2014 8:25:49 PM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

Making a note if I can transfer the intercept range to a SFType specific setting in a next version.

Best wishes,
Vic

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 7
RE: radar anyone?... - 11/1/2014 8:29:43 PM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: mgaffn1

Funny you should mention that - I've been considering coastal bunkers and flak towers as well. In fact, these locationtypes would be easier to build than radar installations.

How to actually make radar work within the current game architecture would be to buy research that either 1) enables the player to upgrade his planes with better spotting, range, and kill ratios, or 2) have the research trigger an event that "mutates" or "morphs" existing units to improved models, with higher spotting/range/kill ratio. Can't recall the exact coding, will need to look in the editor.

If I had better coding skills, I could build more effects/variables into locationtypes. Instead, any simulation of improved radar is going to have to be executed via subformationtypes.

One could argue that bunkers placed at a coastal line would be "coastal bunkers" and that Flak units would act as "Flak towers"... but still I feel it would make more sense - map wise - to be able to build these structures on the map. Coastal bunkers and Flak towers could be upgradeable, from 1 to 4, better guns and more hitpoints.

(in reply to mgaffn1)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> radar anyone?... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI