New Dawn Officer Question

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Reanimator

New Dawn Officer Question

Post by Reanimator »

Is there any point in leaving the officer you start with in the supreme hq? He never gains any exp, would it be better to just leave the supreme hq as a basic hq and rotate that officer into the pool and then into a corps hq?
Tac2i

RE: New Dawn Officer Question

Post by Tac2i »

Yes, once an officer gains some experience it would be a good idea to place him in charge of the SHQ, especially if he is holding any cards that would benefit other officers/HQs.

You might also like to checkout Lancer's Enhanced Mod Suite. It was some interesting changes/additions to officers.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Reanimator

Post by Reanimator »

Just trying to get a handle on the stock system before I mod it. So what are the specific benefits of having an officer in SHQ other than the errant increase experience card; does his combat and morale bonus move down the command chain to individual divisions? If so I take it is dependent on the 7 hex range like other officer bonus's and the divisions they effect?

Or is it just the card pool?
Josh

Post by Josh »

Having an Officer at the start/early game in your SHQ has no benefit whatsoever (uhm unless your entire empire shrinks to the size of late war Germany [:D] 6-7 hexes wide), so remove him and use him in an front HQ to get experience. Once he gets that "experience card" you could put him in charge of the SHQ once again. Sometimes I just do that, and use this card to give either existing units an experience boost, *or* give green units an experience bonus. For that reason I create an unit and put something in it (Flak, Inf, Tanks, whatever). I let that unit/counter then get to 40 Exp (the max it can get) and then play the "exp card" on it. See it as a advanced training course. Basic training goes only to 40 exp. If you then play the exp card that unit can get very experienced. The problem with replacements troops is their damn inexperience, sometimes my units are in their 80's and lo and behold here come the 40 greenhorns replacements [:@] So to counter this I create this new unit and let it go through "advanced training" [:D]

Now say one of my experienced frontline units is in need of 4 experienced Mg's, or 2 AT guns, or whatever. I then go to the trained unit (usually very close to the SHQ and your starting city) , create another unit in that same hex existing *only* of the needed troops, namely those 4 Mg's or 2 AT guns, and then send them via strategic transport to the unit that is in need of them. This way your battle hardened troops will not loose (lose?) their hard earned exp.

Having said that, there is no reason to send your Officer at all to the SHQ to do this trick. You can also keep it in the same HQ for the rest of the game, provided it still sees battle in order to receive still more experience. If you place this HQ higher up the echelon that HQ will be able to not only give its subordinate units an exp boost, but also its subordinate HQ's. A bit hard to explain, but I have most of the time a Supreme HQ way back in your Capitol and a lot of frontline HQ's, so no "middle HQ's" (they serve no purpose IMHO, with very few exceptions, the exception being when you do an amphibious assault on a island/continent far away) . To make the HQ with the Officer with the exp card superior HQ of local HQ's you have to give all those nearby HQ's a new HQ namely the one with the Officer with the exp card. (click on HQ and click "set new HQ" they will lose their cards but get new ones soon enough).

Anyways, long story, but it is a valuable card. I hope I made myself clear [;)]
Josh

Post by Josh »

Oh just an added note. In order for the unit to receive replacements it needs to be on a railroad. When it is on an hex with no railroad the sending HQ will need to have a lot of trucks, sometimes units are 60-60 hexes away, sending a few Inf men will need a few trucks, but sending heavy stuff like tanks can take 30-40 trucks or more.
davebob

Post by davebob »

So,if I'm gathering what you're scattering; if I put an experienced officer w/ full staff in my SHQ, then move him 3 hexes away from a subordinate HQ,which is about to see action,said SHQ will give bonuses to the subordinate hq whom then passes them to the units actually doing the fighting ?
Having said that,that being said,that having been said,saying that,that having been said,having said all that,that said.....
Josh

Post by Josh »

Uh no. What I said was only with the playing cards in mind. HQ and staff bonus are still basically 100% within three hexes and decreasing 20% per added hex. That's it.
Cards are a different matter.
Say you have this "operational wargaming card" (forgot its name but it gives all the subordinate HQ's a bonus experience) You can remove this Officer from it's local HQ and place him in SHQ, thereby giving *all* subordinate HQ's a bonus when playing this card. Same with the "training card" you can keep this Officer in his HQ, or put him in charge of SHQ, or even change your OOB, so that playing this card has more effect.
davebob

Post by davebob »

OK,gotchya. Now,my guerrilla III has an anti-supply rating of 2, with a range of 60, what do these mean ?
Having said that,that being said,that having been said,saying that,that having been said,having said all that,that said.....
Josh

Post by Josh »

Hm my gutfeeling says it don't do anything. Read that some mods do have anti supply rules but I haven't used mods in ages. As long as you don't see these anti-supply bubbles depicted on your map there is no anti supply going on. The fact that "Guerilla" has a as rating of 2 with a range of 60 has to do ... I think... with the fact that Victor intended to implement AS on land but never got to it.
davebob

Post by davebob »

Oops, posted that in the wrong thread.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”