China Sea 1947 Showdown

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Omnius

China Sea 1947 Showdown

Post by Omnius »

I've been having a lot of fun in my version 1.215 Brute Force scenario game. I'm up to the May/Jun 1947 turn and had just set up an awesome mother of all naval battles. After reading about one player's desire to have a saved game setup to work from I thought he'd like this preset naval battle.

So here's the situation. The Axis have moved in the 1st impulse and the Germans opted for a combined move to be able to trigger a submarine combat in the Faeroes Gap. They were able to trade some convoy points for some subs but couldn't make a dent in the massive number of extra CP's to actually reduce production. Now the Allies are in the naval combat segment of their first impulse of the turn. The USA played an O-Chit and have a Super Combined while the British had to settle for a naval movement phase and the USSR spent their O-Chit on doubling Zhukov who is near Stalino and can double units along the Dnieper River line. The Americans moved in their fleet to the China Sea in two segments. First the massive fleet of over 45 ships in the 4 box and then a smaller 29 ship fleet that made it to the 3 box. The Japanese declined to challenge their moves as the Japanese have to survive the turn and keep their convoy points afloat to get resources from China to Japan.

So the first order of business is to initiate combat as the USN and hope they can clear the China Sea of Japanese ships. They also want to sink or damage as many as they can. The Americans have a bunch of units loaded up in the South China Sea but they are merely redeploying to or near Manila to invade Formosa next turn. Drop the motorized infantry into capital of the Netherlands East Indies. You'll also want to rebase two air units from the Philippines there too. The Americans have a real invasion force in the North Sea that can assist in invading and taking Rotterdam or Amsterdam. The British have an invasion force set to invade the hex adjacent to Istanbul, shades of Gallipoli but don't make the mistake of landing there.

Britain is chock full of strategic bombers so you can have a field day dropping strategic or carpet bombing attacks on the Germans. I'd pass on the strategic attacks as Germany has so many extra factories that it won't matter. However as the Americans you can set up 4 good carpet bombing attacks. The British and Soviets don't have enough action points to make carpet bombing viable.

The CW is on Madagascar and has to redeploy to take Diego Garcia. One amphibious ship is nearby and you'll need to move another from around India down. The French ports in recently liberated Madagascar won't accept CW ships so you'll need to land them in Zanzibar or another minor port in the Azanian Sea. You want to move the two infantry units to the minor port in Madagascar if they're not already there. You'll need to use an amphibious invasion to assist in capturing Diego Garcia since there is only one land hex to attack from. This turn you're setting up for next turn's attack on Diego Garcia.

The CW will want to move back one amphib from the eastern Med to Ancona. The CW also wants to move the Gort HQ a hex back to Ancona for pickup next turn. It will provide supply for the Istanbul attack as an amphib can pick up the Gort HQ and drop him off in a non-port hex.

The Americans have two airborne corps ready for drop, one in Vichy and another along the coast near the Netherlands.

So how did my turn turn out? I carpet bombed the 4 hexes of units in the Netherlands. I got lucky and wiped out the Swedish Royal Guards and 1st Mech corps in Rotterdam and Amsterdam. Then some ground strikes helped disorganize the Swedish Infantry. I was able to move along the corridor created by my carpet bombing to attack from a hex northwest of that infantry unit. I did manage in subsequent impulses to invade the coastal fortress hex near Bremen, then capture the foirtress hex south of it. I then captured Bremen and the hex southwest so I'm now only 3 hexes from Berlin.

Despite 3 rounds of air naval combat the Japanese navy managed to survive my onslaught and rode out the first set of naval battle. The Americans would use a combined to get another crack at the IJN and this time they got in only one round before the Japanese rolled well enough to get 4 surprise points to avoid further combat. However the American fleet is based at Manila and will be back to the China Sea next turn.

The Americans and British made good headway in Italy as the American used a ground move with a doubled Eisenhower to crank up their attack factors. By the end of the turn the Americans and British had pushed the Germans back to the mountains north of the Po River.

The British were able to capture Ankara and clear out the other infantry unit. They have 4 units ashore adjacent to Istanbul, well 5 if you count the transport aircraft. I transported the British airborne unit in Tirana to the hex adjacent to Istanbul after moving my marine corp there so I could bring ashore another motorized infantry corp. When the Gort HQ is landed next turn they'll all be in supply and you can drop the para on Istanbul for extra attack factors and the +1 die roll mod.

The Soviets achieved a Destruction of Army Group Center result as they recaptured Minsk and Vitebsk and completely cleared the Dnieper River line north of Kiev. In the south they breached the Dnieper River line in all hexes except the very southern one. The Germans managed to hold the line but must now retreat to not be outflanked from the north.

I ended the turn with 138 units in the destroyed pool, the most bloody turn so far. The first carrier air battle lasted over 20 rounds. Whatever you do do not use bombers on extended range for ground support or you'll get hung out to dry by a bug. I wanted to see all of the countries so many turns before I declared war on every neurtral to see how each country looked as far as what they had for an army or navy or air farce.

So have fun with this end game that most will never see. If you ever wanted to fly a B-36 Peacemaker into combat or use them fancy black class carriers then you'll love this game start. The USA has several spare O-chits and more coming each turn. I have many amphibious ops ready to go as well as airborne drops. I was lucky enough to get my para units into their drop zones despite being intercepted by deadly German fighters.

Omnius
Attachments
ChinaSea..Showdown.zip
(1.55 MiB) Downloaded 14 times

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”