Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: Japanese 25mm AA gun - enclosed mounts

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Japanese 25mm AA gun - enclosed mounts Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: Japanese 25mm AA gun - enclosed mounts - 10/12/2014 6:15:28 AM   
Yaab

Does anyone have any info (technical details, operation, visibility, armour etc.) on enclosed mounts of 25mm Type 96 gun? Some of the were fitted on BB Yamato.

< Message edited by Yaab -- 10/12/2014 9:15:25 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: OT: Japanese 25mm AA gun - enclosed mounts - 10/12/2014 8:56:12 PM   
MrKane

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNJAP_25mm-60_mg.htm

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: Japanese 25mm AA gun - enclosed mounts - 10/12/2014 9:18:16 PM   
rustysi

This is not from me, someone else posted it here a while ago. Those fitted on the Yamato that were enclosed was to protect their crews from the 18" gun blasts. Makes sense.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to MrKane)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: Japanese 25mm AA gun - enclosed mounts - 10/12/2014 9:50:27 PM   
MrKane

This are guns mounted on Yamato and most of Japanese warships. Enclose or open does matter it is just case, but guns are the same.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: Japanese 25mm AA gun - enclosed mounts - 10/12/2014 11:00:55 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

This is not from me, someone else posted it here a while ago. Those fitted on the Yamato that were enclosed was to protect their crews from the 18" gun blasts. Makes sense.

Whomever it was was correct. The concussion would kill you most of the time if not for that.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 5
RE: OT: Japanese 25mm AA gun - enclosed mounts - 10/12/2014 11:04:07 PM   
geofflambert

Not using the main guns when parrying air attacks would be another solution.

edit: A better solution I would think. I can't think of a case where a battleship was being attacked from the air at the same time as receiving large caliber shellfire. Also, I don't understand how the gunners could do a good job with the diminution of their ability to find targets. The DP guns could be spotted for remotely. I don't know about these things but since they're only useful relatively close in I don't think remote spotting would be effective due to the rate of movement of the target across your aiming point. They'd flash in front of your eyes and be gone in a small fraction of a second.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 10/13/2014 12:13:13 AM >

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 6
RE: OT: Japanese 25mm AA gun - enclosed mounts - 10/12/2014 11:30:40 PM   
rustysi

There were attempts by Japan (unsuccessful) to use main armament as AAA.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Post #: 7
RE: OT: Japanese 25mm AA gun - enclosed mounts - 10/13/2014 3:10:44 PM   
geofflambert

Another possibility would be to use a minimal charge (one sack of cordite, say) which would greatly reduce the concussion risk along with some sort of grapeshot or canister round.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 8
RE: OT: Japanese 25mm AA gun - enclosed mounts - 10/13/2014 6:38:51 PM   
Yaab

I was under the impression that the enclosed mountings were to give more protection to the gun crews from strafing and shrapnel.

I don't get it, it is actually the open mounts that were fitted closer to the main batteries of BB Yamato.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/08/Yamato1945.png

Post #: 9
RE: OT: Japanese 25mm AA gun - enclosed mounts - 10/13/2014 10:28:13 PM   
geofflambert

It isn't the closest to the turrets (even though I don't believe they were manned when the main guns were firing, they were of no use in surface actions) it's the ones closest to the muzzle. Those would be the ones amidships when the forward turrets are aimed abaft as far they could go or nearly so (for instance). If you were close enough to the concussion of a fully charged shot (three sacks of cordite, I think) your insides could be converted to jelly.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 10/13/2014 11:29:26 PM >

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 10
RE: OT: Japanese 25mm AA gun - enclosed mounts - 10/14/2014 12:05:09 AM   
JohnDillworth

In the book Requiem for Battleship Yamato by Yoshida Mitsuru, a participant in the battle, the mounts pretty much poped off when bombs hit near them. An understandable situation as mounts tended to be added anywhere that "a card game was taking place". On the other hand the authors memory may be impaired as the ships crew was completely drunk for the last voyage.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it’s still on the list.

Post #: 11
RE: OT: Japanese 25mm AA gun - enclosed mounts - 10/14/2014 10:40:56 AM   
wegman58

Was The Battle Off Samar (aka The Ordeal of TAFFY 3) unique with a surface action and an attack on one of the surface forces involved by aircraft? Admittedly most of the airplanes lacked ship killing weapons (and after a while any weapons at all), but the IJN was NOT aware of that fact. And while the IJN wasn't receiving any return fire from large guns, they didn't know that either.

I don't remember any other action like that. Float planes at night for illumination - yes. Aircraft finding cripples - yes. Simultaneous air and surface actions - TAFFY 3 and not much else.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 12
RE: OT: Japanese 25mm AA gun - enclosed mounts - 10/15/2014 12:51:49 PM   
tocaff

I can't imagine the concussion from the 18.1" monsters as the 5"/38s the USN used could knock you for a loop and they were secondaries.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to wegman58)
Post #: 13
RE: OT: Japanese 25mm AA gun - enclosed mounts - 10/16/2014 10:57:59 AM   
wegman58

Was on my KNOX class frigate once upon a time (mid-80's) and we get to shoot our 5"/54 at San Clemente Island. Nothing overpowering about that (the mount might have been bad, bridge wasn't).

USS NEW JERSEY is also in the gun line - ONE gun, ONE shot. Do the same one-one thousand you do for lightning after you see the flash, get to 10 (two miles) and you felt it as much as you heard it - BIG compression wave. I can NOT being on the receiving end, especially with nine and more than one per minute.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Japanese 25mm AA gun - enclosed mounts Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI