Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

LCU Movement In China ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> LCU Movement In China ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
LCU Movement In China ? - 10/8/2014 6:00:36 PM   
Richard III

Current PBEM Game against General Jocke

I`m bewildered by the time relationships of my Cav. Div. movements VS his Inf. Unit movements in North China.

Starting a few Turns back, his unit in 90.30, the Dark Red color road, moved across a non road river hex into another hex, 89.31. The lighter Red road hex, Now in this T is moving toward 90.32.

I understand by playing with the movement setting from Combat Move to pure Move, can effect the speed, and therefore the time ( in Game Turns ) to get from A to B.

However unless I`m missing something his Inf. unit got across the water in under 2 turns.

My Cav. Div. is still trying to cross into the hex 3 turns later.....

Not trying to whine here, just trying to understand the very fine points of LCU movements in different terrain.

Now to be fair, I`ve given Inf. LCU`s ( in South China ) move orders at the same time, only to see one LCU given the orders second, move significantly faster then the other.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Richard III -- 10/8/2014 7:07:27 PM >

"If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
A. Maslow
Post #: 1
RE: LCU Movement In China ? - 10/8/2014 6:30:01 PM   
JocMeister

I actually started moving on the 18th and didn´t move across until the 26th. Most likely you didn´t see the movement arrow until two days ago as they are subject to FOV.

(in reply to Richard III)
Post #: 2
RE: LCU Movement In China ? - 10/8/2014 7:38:28 PM   
Amoral

Also note that there is no Cav movement type. Cavalry regiments are either an infantry regiment and move as infantry (almost all of them) or they are an armour regiment and move as armour.

< Message edited by Amoral -- 10/8/2014 8:40:28 PM >

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 3
RE: LCU Movement In China ? - 10/8/2014 11:41:36 PM   
Lokasenna

And one more thing:

Units with low morale move slower.

(in reply to Amoral)
Post #: 4
RE: LCU Movement In China ? - 10/9/2014 1:04:01 AM   
Richard III

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

And one more thing:

Thanks Cliff, and I assume units with more motorized transport Sq`s move faster ?

A. Maslow

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 5
RE: LCU Movement In China ? - 10/9/2014 1:04:58 AM   
Richard III

Ahhh ! That explains it....

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

I actually started moving on the 18th and didn´t move across until the 26th. Most likely you didn´t see the movement arrow until two days ago as they are subject to FOV.

A. Maslow

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 6
RE: LCU Movement In China ? - 10/9/2014 2:11:43 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard III

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

And one more thing:

Thanks Cliff, and I assume units with more motorized transport Sq`s move faster ?

No. Those are just names of those devices, they don't actually perform that function in-game.

The base speed is determined by unit type. So even if a unit name includes cavalry, the unit might be unit type Infantry and move at that rate. Then, as noted above, all of the other things come into play (morale, disruption, etc. etc.).

Post #: 7
RE: LCU Movement In China ? - 10/9/2014 2:13:17 AM   
rustysi

quote:

Most likely you didn´t see the movement arrow until two days ago as they are subject to FOV.

OK, I kinda figured this out a little while ago. So now if I want to keep an eye on some LCU's and what they're up to I fly recon, assuming a higher DL will show the movement arrow. Right or wrong?

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Post #: 8
RE: LCU Movement In China ? - 10/9/2014 4:56:34 AM   
Alfred

To understand land movement, reading pages 189-192 of the manual is a sine qua non.

Morale does not impact on land movement rates.  Fatigue does impact however.  Thus the movement rates listed in the table on pages 189-190 of the manual, which are per 24 hours (not each 12 hours) is the absolute best with zero fatigue levels.  The more fatigue the slower the movement rate.

No dev has ever commented on the relationship between movement arrows and recon which affects both DL and MDL levels.  Although not specifically mentioned on page 221 of the manual, it would be consistent for movement arrows to be displayed to the enemy when MDL is >1.  Definitely one should not see any movement arrows on enemy LCUs whose MDL is only 1 and of course the enemy LCU is not even made visible if it's MDL is 0.

Alfred

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 9
RE: LCU Movement In China ? - 10/9/2014 6:24:33 AM   
Yaab

Here is some confusing data from one of my games:

Marching experiment (one day, 24 hrs) on Main road:

British BF from Tavoy
Exp 40
Morale 10
Disruption 6
Fatigue 27
Miles covered: 24

6th Chinese Corps from Tuyun
Exp 30
Morale 30
Disruption 15
Fatigue 48
Miles covered: 30 (same as in the manual)

It seems very low morale affects movement rates. Some demoralised units can be found in Burma/India at start. Also, the Chinese LCUs suffer from very low morale after lost battles.

< Message edited by Yaab -- 10/9/2014 7:27:37 AM >

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 10
RE: LCU Movement In China ? - 10/10/2014 1:05:10 AM   
Richard III

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

To understand land movement, reading pages 189-192 of the manual is a sine qua non.

Morale does not impact on land movement rates.  Fatigue does impact however.  Thus the movement rates listed in the table on pages 189-190 of the manual, which are per 24 hours (not each 12 hours) is the absolute best with zero fatigue levels.  The more fatigue the slower the movement rate.

No dev has ever commented on the relationship between movement arrows and recon which affects both DL and MDL levels.  Although not specifically mentioned on page 221 of the manual, it would be consistent for movement arrows to be displayed to the enemy when MDL is >1.  Definitely one should not see any movement arrows on enemy LCUs whose MDL is only 1 and of course the enemy LCU is not even made visible if it's MDL is 0.

Alfred

Appreciate being pointed in the exact right direction Alfred. Been a long time since I read the relevant points in the Manual.

Thanks
RIII

A. Maslow

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> LCU Movement In China ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI