Lost Icon

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

tocaff

Lost Icon

Post by tocaff »

I keep losing the AE icon. I have Win7 64bit.
I tried: Using start, typing the program name, rt click, send to desktop. This ends up with the saved game failing to load.
I used system restore and that worked, but it screwed up other things and it takes forever to fix.
This only happens with the AE icon. I'm using the latest patch. This didn't happen prior to updating to this patch.
There is no integrity violation.
Suggestions?
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
witpqs

RE: Lost Icon

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: tocaff

I keep losing the AE icon. I have Win7 64bit.
I tried: Using start, typing the program name, rt click, send to desktop. This ends up with the saved game failing to load.
I used system restore and that worked, but it screwed up other things and it takes forever to fix.
This only happens with the AE icon. I'm using the latest patch. This didn't happen prior to updating to this patch.
There is no integrity violation.
Suggestions?
Yes.

This part:
Makes me suspect that when you do the search it is not really finding the correct exe to run, and/or that it is not setting the 'start in' attribute correctly.

Here is an example of the properties of one of my AE shortcuts. Notice the two lines "Target" and "Start in". Target is the location and name of the executable you are running, plus any switches (the Windows box is too small to show the entire line in one screenshot). Start in is the place where the system tells that executable to start looking for files it needs (it's like a starting point for driving directions, so the program then knows how to find the save games, graphics files, etc).

Instead of searching for the program in the Windows Start command, I recommend that you just navigate to it in Windows Explorer (that shows you folders and files), and right click on it there. You are more likely to find the correct file.

Attachments
BetaWITPa..084022.jpg
BetaWITPa..084022.jpg (97.8 KiB) Viewed 114 times
tocaff

RE: Lost Icon

Post by tocaff »

I end up using a system restore and the icon is there and the program works again, BUT, this seems to disable Norton 360 and I have to go jumping through hoops downloading and installing it all over again.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

Return to “Tech Support”