Boys trip to UK

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

pontiouspilot

Boys trip to UK

Post by pontiouspilot »

I have been assigned the the role of presiding over a "boys trip" to UK in spring of '15. For the speculators amongst us buy your scotch futures now!!

I would like a list of museums/sights etc that boys of "our ilk" would enjoy. I have the obvious ones: Duxford, Hendon (is one redundant??), Imp War Museum, Bovington, Portsmouth, Churchill War rooms, Belfast (I guess but a little boring after Mighty MO). I have seen some of these but my buddies have not so all ideas are welcomed.

I can't wait for some of what may be suggested!
rustysi

RE: Boys trip to UK

Post by rustysi »

I would have to go to Bletchley Park, but that's just me. I don't think there's much there, except an old mansion and a bunch of huts.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Slightly of the normal 'tourist tracks, this is great for an immersive feel to the war.

http://www.edencamp.co.uk/

Bovington is not to be missed!

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
Ralzakark

Post by Ralzakark »

Second Bovington Tank Museum, which you mentioned in your original list, and and add the Fleet Air Arm Museum as well.
Ossipago, Barbatus, and Famulimus
obvert

Post by obvert »

Firstly, let me know when you're over. If you're in London I could help find venues to consume good scotch in comfy surroundings, and would love to join on an outing or two.

I found Dover pretty interesting. Lots of activity here, and some remnants remain. There were even arty duels across the channel using the big railway guns! [X(]

Around London the Maritime Museums in Greenwhich are good value, and the Cutty Sark is there.

At the mouth of the Thames are the Mansel Forts (pic below), one of the more evocative and eerie remnants of the war. I think boat tours exist from nearby towns.

Nearby also is also the Liberty Ship SS Richard Montgomery, which sunk in the Thames loaded with explosives. Maybe not so good to visit!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

Attachments
manselforts.jpg
manselforts.jpg (123.3 KiB) Viewed 282 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Didn't somebody turn one of those Channel forts into their own country?

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Another recommendation for Bovington here.

Went this summer whilst on our way to France and its fantastic.

btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

I would have to go to Bletchley Park, but that's just me. I don't think there's much there, except an old mansion and a bunch of huts.

Me too. also the Tank museum....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

What I loved about Bovington is the sheer number of vehicles, and the fact you can actually stand right up by them and touch them.

I have a load of photos somewhere - here is one showing just how close you can get

http://didactylos.smugmug.com/photos/i- ... MTW-XL.jpg

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

OT to the OT :)

At the Aberdeen Proving Ground, the US Army Ordnance Museum in Maryland you can do the same, walk around and touch everything. One thing that really surprised me is just how frigging big tanks are when you are just standing on the ground. Everything is moving to Ft Lee in VA soon which will be a lot better as that is a lot closer to major population centers than Aberdeen is.

http://www.ordmusfound.org/
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

I have been assigned the the role of presiding over a "boys trip" to UK in spring of '15. For the speculators amongst us buy your scotch futures now!!

I would like a list of museums/sights etc that boys of "our ilk" would enjoy. I have the obvious ones: Duxford, Hendon (is one redundant??), Imp War Museum, Bovington, Portsmouth, Churchill War rooms, Belfast (I guess but a little boring after Mighty MO). I have seen some of these but my buddies have not so all ideas are welcomed.

I can't wait for some of what may be suggested!
warspite1

IWM Duxford. Get to ride in a Dragon Rapide. We were weighed and sat in specific positions to ensure the plane was not out of balance.... Great fun! [:)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

All this is greatly appreciated!

Is it redundant to see both Duxford and Hendon? From one of the above posters I gather one of these also has AFVs, etc....I'm guessing from what I have read that Bovington is the big site for AFV?? Dover is a great idea! Is there anything in Plymouth worthwhile.....I have been to Portsmouth and will take an encore there.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Is it redundant to see both Duxford and Hendon? From one of the above posters I gather one of these also has AFVs, etc....I'm guessing from what I have read that Bovington is the big site for AFV?? Dover is a great idea! Is there anything in Plymouth worthwhile.....I have been to Portsmouth and will take an encore there.
warspite1

Check out the websites for Hendon and Duxford - I do not know it Hendon does the flights as well.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

I will let you know details when I have made them. I'm torn about staying in London and travelling out to the various sites versus moving around?? For the southern stops probably better to stay in Portsmouth and travel out from there.

RE: R. Montgomery...lets hope Costsa doesn't operate any cruise ships in area!!!
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

Fleet Air museum....why in hell would this be located in the middle of country!!??...it's potentially on the way to Bovington.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

In my experience there is no such thing as too many military museums, but that's probably just me.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Didn't somebody turn one of those Channel forts into their own country?

Bill

Yes, can't remember exactly. A rock band leader? A tech millionaire? Something like that.

obvert

Post by obvert »

I will let you know details when I have made them. I'm torn about staying in London and travelling out to the various sites versus moving around?? For the southern stops probably better to stay in Portsmouth and travel out from there.

RE: R. Montgomery...lets hope Costsa doesn't operate any cruise ships in area!!!

[:D]

It would be great to meet another forumite here in London. Definitely PM or post details closer to the visit.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Ralzakark

Post by Ralzakark »

Fleet Air museum....why in hell would this be located in the middle of country!!??...it's potentially on the way to Bovington.

It's at the Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton, an inland base. The Sea Harriers used to be based there when not afloat but now it is given over to helicopters.

It has a large collection of aircraft from WWI through to modern, well worth a look. Unfortunately the museum's own web site is being redeveloped, but you can get an idea of the collection from the wikipedia entry, though it doesn't list everything there such as two Fireflies. They have a Corsair stripped back to its original 1944 paint scheme.
Ossipago, Barbatus, and Famulimus
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”