Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

NOOB: RR Construction Battalion Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> NOOB: RR Construction Battalion Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NOOB: RR Construction Battalion Question - 10/3/2014 2:07:56 PM   
brianreid

Gentlemen,

I am in the process of playing the 1941 campaign game, and I am all the way to the first turn in October of 1941. I am playing the Germans, and the AI is playing the Soviets. I have managed to drive the Germans to nearly Leningrad in the North, Vyazma/Bryansk in the center, and nearly to Kharkov in the south, and this has been accomplished using mainly the infantry divisions. The problem I am having is that starting with turn 3, my Panzer units basically were empty of fuel. They were across the Dnepr (or I think it is the Dnepr -- I am going from memory here) at the end of turn 2, and then they went to only 1 movememt point by the start of turn 3, and they have basically been stuck in that same general area since turn 3. This is not good, as I have had to use the infantry armies to shoulder the burden of the fighting. Needless to say, the Germans historically had major problems with Logistics on the Eastern front in 1941, but not any where near this bad. I have even used the air resupply extensively to try to get Panzer Groups 2 and 3 moving, but that only gives them a few movement points (2-5 movement points), not nearly enough to do anything worthwhile. Needless to say, the issue I am having is the SLOW movement (or complete late of movement) of the RR construction battalions. I have tried to keep the RR Construction battalion HQ's within 5 MP of the construction battalions, but nothing seems to make any difference. Many turns the battalions don't move at all. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
Thanks in advance!!
Kind Regards -- Brian B.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: NOOB: RR Construction Battalion Question - 10/3/2014 3:13:56 PM   
charlie0311

Hi Brian,

Click on any empty hex, then click the rail icon at the top. The "FBD" rail repair regiments will highlight in yellow. The player controls the movements of the FBD (5 of them). The computer controls the construction BNs.

Read up on how to use the FBDs.

(in reply to brianreid)
Post #: 2
RE: NOOB: RR Construction Battalion Question - 10/3/2014 7:07:11 PM   
brianreid

Hey Charlie,

Thanks for the quick reply. I actually have been moving the FBD's (all 5 of them), and I had read somewhere on this forum that I needed to keep the FBD's within 5 MP of the RR construction battalions, so I have tried to keep them moving ahead of the RR Construction battalions, but keeping them within 5 MP of the lead construction battalion. The only problem, is the blasted construction battalions haven't hardly been moving. In fact, this past turn, I noted where some of them where at the end of the last turn, and I noted where they were at the beginning of the current turn, and then did not even move a single hex!! Clearly I am doing something wrong, I just need to nail down what I am forgetting to do, or doing incorrectly. Very frustrating, as it is going to be the "rasputitsa" season very soon, which means the Panzer Armies will definately not be going anywhere.

Brian

(in reply to charlie0311)
Post #: 3
RE: NOOB: RR Construction Battalion Question - 10/3/2014 7:21:31 PM   
jwolf

Brian, the construction battalions play a relatively minor role in rail repair.  As the war continues, they will help to repair breaks caused by partisans and they will gradually repair some side routes.  But the main role should be played by the FBDs.  Where and how far these advance will dictate where and how far your panzers can advance.  Generally speaking,  throughout the summer each of your 5 FBDs should be working on one main line running E, NE, or SE into the Russian heartland.  Each FBD should be able to repair 3 or 4 rail hexes per turn (that will be cut to 2 or 3 during worse weather conditions).

If your rail repair has gone badly you'll probably need to restart your campaign.

(in reply to brianreid)
Post #: 4
RE: NOOB: RR Construction Battalion Question - 10/3/2014 8:07:36 PM   
charlie0311

Brian, FBDs have nothing to do with the regular contructions Bns. That stuff you read about 5 hexes is wrong. BTW I read something in forums about minor rivers mean 1/2 and major river mean 1/4 CV for attacker and NOOO , wrong also.

The FBD are considered the rr construction bns (units), they are actually brigades, three hash marks on the unit counter, the bns have two hash marks. The manpower in the unit determines how much work, and how fast, that work gets done.

I concur with jw remarks. And rr repair is faster in Baltic zone. Also you can't piggy-back the FBDs to get the railhead forward faster. Somewhere in the forums it says you can.

Ok well, I don't think the errors in the forums are willful. The game has changed with the upgrades and some facts have changed. The regular construction bns for the sov are called rr construction bns, so it can be (and is) kind of confusing.

I'm not always that "right" or complete would be a better term, often, someone else will chime in to help.

< Message edited by charlie0311 -- 10/3/2014 9:25:10 PM >

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 5
RE: NOOB: RR Construction Battalion Question - 10/3/2014 9:23:11 PM   
Doggie3

Hi Brian,

There is one other thing with the FBD units that I learnt the hard way - in the unit panel on the right hand side that appears when you click on the FBD unit there is a section with RRC and a number beside it (bottom right). You have to click on this number each time you move the FBD unit, for each hex it moves into. If you just move the FBD unit without clicking on this number no repair occurs.

Cheers,

(in reply to charlie0311)
Post #: 6
RE: NOOB: RR Construction Battalion Question - 10/4/2014 3:45:51 AM   
brianreid

That is the info I needed! I now know what I was doing wrong. I was never clicking on the RRC # on the FBD units. Thanks everyone!

Best Regards,
Brian B.

(in reply to Doggie3)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> NOOB: RR Construction Battalion Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI