Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Out of Memory Error

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Pacific War: The Matrix Edition >> Out of Memory Error Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Out of Memory Error - 10/2/2014 2:06:39 AM   
wga

I am seeking to resume an idle game after 12+ months. Certain thinks I forgot how to resolve. When picking a carrier air group, I get the out of memory error. This means I cannot upgrade the air types (ie. F4F to F6F). I remember there was a way to overcome this, but I forget. I would appreciated being reminded how to overcome this.

bill thomson 817-501-2978;

Bill Thomson
bill@wargameacademy.org
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]
Post #: 1
RE: Out of Memory Error - 10/2/2014 2:21:41 AM   
Ian R

Bill, you have two options.

1. Run the game in dosbox; or

2. Try using the A B C keys to hot key to the airgroup and the up and down keys and enter button to upgrade.

Edit: Using option 2 you may not be able to see it happening (and hence mouse click through it), but the key strokes may still register.

< Message edited by Ian R -- 10/2/2014 3:23:46 AM >

"You may find that having is not so nearly pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
- Cdr Spock

Ian R

(in reply to wga)
Post #: 2
RE: Out of Memory Error - 10/2/2014 6:11:51 AM   
wga

A big thanks. The second method worked, The clutter is on the screen but can work through it. Both my PCs (desktop and windows partition on macintosh laptop) are running XP so can runs DOS just fine. Dosbox will probably work fine on on the macs.

Boy is this suspended game a mess from the Allied position on 10/10/43.

May be looking for another game in the future but I always play Allies. Lifetime of opposition of playing opposition for German, Japanese, Central Powers, Axis, Confederates, Napoleon, Caesar. Too late in life to play the Dark Side. Biggest challenge is 1) surviving to the mid game, 2) getting opponent to continue playing beyond the midgame.

Bill Thomson
bill@wargameacademy.org
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 3
RE: Out of Memory Error - 10/2/2014 7:04:46 AM   
bradk

If you haven't changed anything, the exe is using the default autoexec.bat and config.sys files that are in, I think, windows/system. What you need is altered copies in the PW folder with the exe set to use them.

Copy the originals to the PW folder. Then edit them to remove stuff you know you don't need, like the CD drive. If that doesn't work, then remove stuff you're not sure you need. Set the exe to call the two files that are in the PW folder.

Keep cutting stuff until the game works... or stops working!

< Message edited by bradk -- 10/2/2014 8:05:43 AM >

(in reply to wga)
Post #: 4
RE: Out of Memory Error - 10/2/2014 7:11:27 AM   
Ian R

That sounds like creating a "virtual boot disk". I used to play Pacwar on a 286 running off a boot disk, with stuff on 'loadhigh' as well.

Edit to earlier - I also recall there is a hotkey [C] to initiate aircraft change from the air group screen.

So basically to upgrade any VF, key A, & then C, and you should be in the aircraft pools list to select the new model.

< Message edited by Ian R -- 10/2/2014 8:19:55 AM >

"You may find that having is not so nearly pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
- Cdr Spock

Ian R

(in reply to bradk)
Post #: 5
RE: Out of Memory Error - 10/2/2014 7:24:31 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

If you haven't changed anything, the exe is using the default autoexec.bat and config.sys files that are in, I think, windows/system. What you need is altered copies in the PW folder with the exe set to use them.

Copy the originals to the PW folder. Then edit them to remove stuff you know you don't need, like the CD drive. If that doesn't work, then remove stuff you're not sure you need. Set the exe to call the two files that are in the PW folder.

There is a lot of information in the "sticky" thread at the top of the PacWar thread list. Skip past everything involving Windows ME, and find where Windows 2000 and Windows XP begin to be discussed. This should be towards the bottom of the first page.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to bradk)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Pacific War: The Matrix Edition >> Out of Memory Error Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI