Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Are Armored/Tank LCUs effective?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Pacific War: The Matrix Edition >> Are Armored/Tank LCUs effective? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Are Armored/Tank LCUs effective? - 9/28/2014 10:48:38 PM   
bradk

They have lots of firepower. They inflice lots of damage and casualties. But they have few infantry. And the formula for base capture is a comparison of surviving participating infantry.

Perhaps a player would do better with a normal intantry LCU. I don't know. Probability expert wanted!
Post #: 1
RE: Are Armored/Tank LCUs effective? - 9/29/2014 4:04:18 AM   
wga

I do not know of any specific rule citation from memory (if one exists). I can make an educated guess as have played the series of Gary Grigsby naval simulations. Pacific War is mid series, followed by Uncommon Valor, ending with War in the Pacific: Struggle vs Japan. The latter was which was the basis for WITP Admirals Edition. In the latter 3, all LCUs have an assault strength. Armor tends to have a high assault strength ratings and are best used in combination with infantry rather than alone. However in the Pacific, not a lot of great places for a tank combat [usually mainland areas or large islands with multiple bases]. In general Allied armor was greatly superior to IJA armor, which is historical. Stuart light tanks were good enough to take out IJA tanks whereas Shermans dealt with bunkers and gun positions.

Bill Thomson
bill@wargameacademy.org
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]

(in reply to bradk)
Post #: 2
RE: Are Armored/Tank LCUs effective? - 9/29/2014 3:01:36 PM   
bradk

Yes, there are a lot of terrain levels where tanks wouldn't have much use.

I'm not certain the combat strenght of a tank or armored LCU really represents its strenght as far as taking or holding a base since the calculation is on surviving infantry.

(in reply to wga)
Post #: 3
RE: Are Armored/Tank LCUs effective? - 9/30/2014 3:59:21 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Yes, there are a lot of terrain levels where tanks wouldn't have much use.

I find the best way to use armored units is as blocking forces. If you don't need to take the base, but just prevent the other side from advancing further, they can bleed the attackers nicely. It also helps to do this in heavy terrain, so you're not forced to retreat (which makes armored units even more useful for the Japanese, since it's harder to make them retreat).

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to bradk)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Pacific War: The Matrix Edition >> Are Armored/Tank LCUs effective? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI