Dumbass

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

warspite1

Dumbass

Post by warspite1 »

So I have this friend of mine. Its not me you understand...er its a friend. He is such a dumbass, he has two Soviet battleships at sea in the Baltic when the turn ends. The weather at that time was Snow. Am I right in saying I ...er I mean my stupid friend has just lost two battleships?? Presumably a way of him avoiding that stupid mistake is to have them Stay At Sea?

Edit: Neutral Major Powers cannot stay at sea [:(] So basically two battleships are destroyed because of a bit of global warming? Harsh!

Good job it wasn't me that did something so silly...ahem....
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Orm

RE: Dumbass

Post by Orm »

Staying at sea is not allowed if you have no port that you could have returned to. So it didn't matter in this case that the battleships were not allowed to stay at sea because of neutrality.

13.4 Return to base
When you can’t return to base
Destroy any unit (checked individually) that has no base to return to. It makes no difference if a unit
couldn’t return to base because it was out of range or was blocked by naval movement restrictions (see 8.2.10 and
11.4.4). [Clarification. You can not return to base to a port you could not normally make a naval move into - Dec.
23, 2007.]
Destroy any unit at sea that couldn’t have returned to base (even if it could stay at sea). [Clarification.
Infinite naval units may remain at sea provided at least 1 space (i.e., at a minor port) is available to which they could
have returned to base - Dec. 28, 2007.]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Well I'm glad I didn't do that in a "real" game!![X(]

Had I owned the Baltic States I would have been alright as Liepaja is not ice-bound.

Orm

Post by Orm »

But your friend should do well to remember this for future games and then get a ice free port that he can use in a emergency. If he had occupied the Baltic States then this would not have happened since Liepaja, Latvia, is a ice free minor port. It can only save four ships that must return to base but a infinite number of ships that are allowed to stay at sea.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

But your friend should do well to remember this for future games and then get a ice free port that he can use in a emergency. If he had occupied the Baltic States then this would not have happened since Liepaja, Latvia, is a ice free minor port. It can only save four ships that must return to base but a infinite number of ships that are allowed to stay at sea.
warspite1

This crossed with my edit. Yes I meant my friend obviously....

Orm

Post by Orm »

This is another advantage to knock Finland out of the war before the war with Germany. Getting a fairly safe ice free port in Hankö.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

This is another advantage to knock Finland out of the war before the war with Germany. Getting a fairly safe ice free port in Hankö.
warspite1

Yes but in my case now it would be something of a pyrrhic victory:

General "Hey Admiral we've just won an ice free port"
Admiral "Whoopey do - shame I've got no ships to put in it......."

Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

Yes but in my case now it would be something of a pyrrhic victory:

General "Hey Admiral we've just won an ice free port"
Admiral "Whoopey do - shame I've got no ships to put in it......."
Indeed. But your submarine force has a ice free base.
composer99

Post by composer99 »

I feel a surge of pity for your, er, 'friend'. [;)]
~ Composer99
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

perhaps this is grounds for a redoo
"Tanks forward"
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

No - if this was a real game then those Soviet ships would be gone. Its a lesson my friend has learned the hard way - and I am just glad I am not so stupid as to have ever done that....

The game continues.

freeboy

Post by freeboy »

understood
My friend mis clicked was trying to undo attack, instead ended phase.. we need better friends
lol
"Tanks forward"

Return to “World in Flames”