How to sync WITP-AE PC to laptop

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jetjockey

How to sync WITP-AE PC to laptop

Post by jetjockey »

Hi guys (and gals)! I travel a lot (work) and like to play my turns on the road. When I'm home though I like to use my desktop (bigger screen plus wide screen -w). The problem is I can't figure out how to sync my game and tracker files. I've thought of writing a DOS batch file using the archive switches, but how do you cross the network with DOS? Also, I've tried (and failed miserably) to comprehend the MS Briefcase.

Any advice would be most welcome.
Brian Anthony Rademacher
Lokasenna

RE: How to sync WITP-AE PC to laptop

Post by Lokasenna »

I play on 3 different computers, and can play from a 4th as well... here's what you need to do:

For Tracker, simply load it up so that it runs on the computer. You can't transfer DBs between machines, that I know of, but you could maybe try running it off of a USB drive (so long as you point the .properties file to the correct directory for the WITP save location). You can then load turns as normal. Start with the one for the day before you're about to enter orders, so that you can get proper alerts for the upcoming turn.

For the game files, just take the Sig Int, Operations, Combat Report text files (and so forth) from the save (or archive folder if you use -archive), then move them into the directory on the other computer(s).

Simple!

It gets more complicated when you need to do DB updates or scenario updates...
jetjockey

Post by jetjockey »

Thanks! I'll give it a try.
Brian Anthony Rademacher
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I play between two computers which are both on my home network. I share out the folders with AE and use a utility called Beyond Compare to sync up everything in the folders. I use Beyond Compare with work, so I had it, but there are other similar programs out there. I think Beyond Compare is around $25. Worth it IMO.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
sanch

Post by sanch »

I have a KVM switch at home (gives the ability for multiple computers to use the same screen, keyboard, mouse, and now speakers). So, when home, I plug my laptop (which has the game and tracker) into the switch, and am able to use my larger screen, keyboard and mouse.
tangent

Post by tangent »

I don't use Tracker but I do synchronize my regular files between computers using Microsoft SyncToy, which is free. I works with Windows XP, Vista, and 7. I have not tried it with Windows 8+.
jetjockey

Post by jetjockey »

Microsoft SyncToy

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I've tried SyncToy and it seems to be exactly what I've been looking for. The Save directory transfers seamlessly and the game runs fine.

When I ran Tracker though, I got data only from the most recent turn and any previous turn run on my laptop, leaving a five day gap. Curious.
Brian Anthony Rademacher
jetjockey

Post by jetjockey »

When I ran Tracker though, I got data only from the most recent turn and any previous turn run on my laptop, leaving a five day gap. Curious.

Disregard my last. I had a senior moment (not the first) when loading Tracker. I also seems to work fine.
Brian Anthony Rademacher
Theages

Post by Theages »

Take a look at this thread.

Return to “Tech Support”