Help with Estab editing

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

Phoenix100

Help with Estab editing

Post by Phoenix100 »

Must be someone who knows the answer. Can anyone help please? I want to edit a base in the estab editor to give it more men. So. This is what I've done (and it didn't work). Open estab editor. Open the relevant .xml. Find the base. Double click. Amend the manpower entry. Save in the data window. Select the instruction to compile the estab from the drop down. Done. I run the scenario containing the estab and it has the old manpower values. I go back to the editor and my amendment is still there, but it doesn't load into the relevant scenario, it seems. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
navwarcol

RE: Help with Estab editing

Post by navwarcol »

OK, I will ask a dumb question, but forgive me, have to start from the beginning.

Is the scenario drawing off the estab you are editing? Meaning that when you saved the estab, you did not change its name?

There are two times this happened to myself... this was the cause once. I will get my hands on my game here in about 3 hours to remember the other cause by looking at it... the other one was easily fixed I remember, but can't recall without looking what its issue was.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Thanks, Nav. Yes - perhaps rather stupidly - I just edited the stock estab without saving it 'as' first...though since nothing happened no harm done. So that wasn't it. When I compiled it (I'm not even sure you have to compile it) then I didn't get the message saying it had compiled. Instead I got a whole stream of image not present errors resulting in 2 sides failing to import. But I don't know how to get round that, or why that happened. I haven't changed anything to do with the images.
navwarcol

Post by navwarcol »

OK, took me a little longer than I thought to get back.

One (and seemingly only one) step I noticed you did differently than I did in my many alterations, is that for me, I had to add also transport and personnel... so that if I added a tank, for example, to a panzer company, I had to add the 4 or 5 man crew, to the manpower... or if I added 20 men to a motorized unit, I had to add the equivalent transport capacity, also... or else it would revert to the old values in both cases.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Mmm. That's interesting. But did it compile? Mine isn't compiling, apparently because of missing images (something I haven't tampered with at all).
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

Thanks for trying Peter.

It sounds like its a bit more complicated to work around than you originally hoped.
I can't help you at all I'm afraid, as I have no experience with the estabs editor at all.
navwarcol

Post by navwarcol »

Yes, mine compiled.

I can say that if it is a missing image, it should tell you which... it seems that I had an issue with that long ago, and I just copied the image from another base of the same side... the images for bases I think are just flags basically.
jimcarravall

Post by jimcarravall »

ORIGINAL: phoenix

Must be someone who knows the answer. Can anyone help please? I want to edit a base in the estab editor to give it more men. So. This is what I've done (and it didn't work). Open estab editor. Open the relevant .xml. Find the base. Double click. Amend the manpower entry. Save in the data window. Select the instruction to compile the estab from the drop down. Done. I run the scenario containing the estab and it has the old manpower values. I go back to the editor and my amendment is still there, but it doesn't load into the relevant scenario, it seems. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

How did you determine the number of men who should be assigned to the base?
Take care,

jim
navwarcol

Post by navwarcol »

Jim, I am guessing that he did the same as I have often done. Everyone knows how the battle *DID* go, but a lot of the fun of it, for myself, and others is to see how much small changes would have affected the outcome. For myself, as an example, I put a handful of the Maus panzers into the oob, and enjoyed seeing how they performed, though also ran into the same problem that likely would have hit the Germans if they had really been able to deploy them.. supply issues, as well as their general slowness pretty much overcame the "big guns and heavy armor" advantages. I also messed with bases, giving more trucks and jeeps(mostly my way to accommodate my longer scenarios when irl some of the "casualties" would have been repaired and brought back.... a workaround that had its weaknesses, but solved the problem it was designed around at least.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

I was trying to solve Daz's problem in Charge of the Centaurs, Jim. Trying to solve it via a workaround, as there is no support from Dave at the moment (because he's travelling). Your help would be much appreciated, Jim. Daz's issue - as posted about in here - was that his divisional base, with a starting compliment of 1,000 men, sent 950 of them out on supply runs and then promptly disbanded itself because there's clearly a bug in the code which checks for disbandment conditions. It had reached a level of non-viability. But it hadn't, the men were out delivering. The problem, I thought, arises because in that estab a Greek div base has 1,000 men, 100 carts and 500 manpacks to do deliveries, so the ratio of portage to men is quite bad - hence you end up sending out nearly all your men on deliveries. You should be able to do that without the base disbanding, of course, but that needs fixing. Meanwhile, I thought a 'fix' would be to change the ratio. So put 2,000 men in the base, keep the manpacks and carts constant, then if 950 were sent out enough would remain for it not to trigger the disbandment option. Another alternative would be to give it, say, 300 carts. Or even some jeeps. Not accurate, but we're talking about a fix, otherwise this scenario isn't really playable. Can you tell me how to change the estab to do this, Jim?
jimcarravall

Post by jimcarravall »

ORIGINAL: phoenix

I was trying to solve Daz's problem in Charge of the Centaurs, Jim. Trying to solve it via a workaround, as there is no support from Dave at the moment (because he's travelling). Your help would be much appreciated, Jim. Daz's issue - as posted about in here - was that his divisional base, with a starting compliment of 1,000 men, sent 950 of them out on supply runs and then promptly disbanded itself because there's clearly a bug in the code which checks for disbandment conditions. It had reached a level of non-viability. But it hadn't, the men were out delivering. The problem, I thought, arises because in that estab a Greek div base has 1,000 men, 100 carts and 500 manpacks to do deliveries, so the ratio of portage to men is quite bad - hence you end up sending out nearly all your men on deliveries. You should be able to do that without the base disbanding, of course, but that needs fixing. Meanwhile, I thought a 'fix' would be to change the ratio. So put 2,000 men in the base, keep the manpacks and carts constant, then if 950 were sent out enough would remain for it not to trigger the disbandment option. Another alternative would be to give it, say, 300 carts. Or even some jeeps. Not accurate, but we're talking about a fix, otherwise this scenario isn't really playable. Can you tell me how to change the estab to do this, Jim?

In determining the number of personnel who should be assigned to a regimental or higher base, I look at the TO&Es for all units assigned to that base's headquarters and add the support personnel from each lower echelon unit into the base (or subordinate bases if there are several echelons of base units in the scenario).

I do this because the "base" concept in CO is an abstraction of the real life logistics system, where supportability personnel are dispersed to the platoon level to facilitate supply operations.

To address your immediate concern, if you alter the Estab base complement, you alter that number of personnel for all scenarios using that Estab base construct.

You can go to the scenario editor, click on the appropriate base under "units" and alter the percentage of Estab personnel assigned to the unit. You can go above 100 percent to increase the number of personnel.

Be sure to save the altered scenario under a different name to avoid encountering more distortion if there is a fix to the disbandment issue.
Take care,

jim
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Thanks Jim, it doesn't work to alter the percentage, but you can just alter the number of men directly there, it seems, which does work! If you alter the percentage then the number of manpacks gets altered accordingly, keeping the ratios the same, but if you just make the number of people on base staff 2000 then that seems to work! Thanks. Easy solution.

Too late for Daz, as his scenario has already started. Besides, not sure it will solve the issue, but I'll play through and see.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

The 'fix' seems to work, Daz. See - tm.asp?m=3692093&mpage=1&key=&#3693877 Let me know if you want it amended.

Peter

Thanks Jim.

Return to “Command Ops Series”