My Last AGEOD Game. Period.

The newest game by Ageod, set during The Great War.

Moderator: Pocus

Raindog101

My Last AGEOD Game. Period.

Post by Raindog101 »

Another ripoff from AGEOD. This is a $9.99 game hiding in $40 attire. It's shameful to even put it up for sale.

Gamescreen is bloated with amateurish looking pop-up boxes. Font in said boxes runs out the bottom of box and is unreadable when mixed with font on map. Mini-map is completely useless unless viewed with binoculars. Very little and I mean very little player customization. You get more customization options in a $6.99 Walmart game. Documentation is horrible and made for long time AGEOD players. AGEOD has bled about all they can from this ancient and amateurish engine. Terrible.

A longtime but very unhappy customer.

How 'bout a refund or at least a store credit as a good will gesture?
wodin

RE: My Last AGEOD Game. Period.

Post by wodin »

As I said in my post it does seem less of a game somehow than say AJE felt and going right back Birth of America.

Maybe wanting to get it out this centennial year has effected development.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

with time and patches, i think (hope) this will end up a good game, a classic is another story, the learning curve is steep with this one, and it almost feels like you needed to have played a lot of there games before it to really do it justice, Alea Jacta Est well didn't work great for me, it always seemed a bit sluggish and not too well done / programmed tbh, top end pc but all i got with gameplay with low end settings was a poor result, sits on hard drive and tbh forgot about it, not really played any others so can't comment, but they all look like they use the same engine, which is fine if it works well, game looks and feels alright, but i can't put my finger on it, feels like something is missing, not one of those games i look forward to sit playing for hours on end, but may one day...

for now it's bought and paid for but hardly played, as better atm are out and worth more attention, will go back to it, by then most stuff will be patched and fixed and maybe easier to find and play
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Raindog101

Post by Raindog101 »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

with time and patches, i think (hope) this will end up a good game, a classic is another story, the learning curve is steep with this one, and it almost feels like you needed to have played a lot of there games before it to really do it justice, Alea Jacta Est well didn't work great for me, it always seemed a bit sluggish and not too well done / programmed tbh, top end pc but all i got with gameplay with low end settings was a poor result, sits on hard drive and tbh forgot about it, not really played any others so can't comment, but they all look like they use the same engine, which is fine if it works well, game looks and feels alright, but i can't put my finger on it, feels like something is missing, not one of those games i look forward to sit playing for hours on end, but may one day...

for now it's bought and paid for but hardly played, as better atm are out and worth more attention, will go back to it, by then most stuff will be patched and fixed and maybe easier to find and play
Thanks for the response. But patches will not cure the itsy-bitsy mini-map. The entire UI should have been redone 3 or four games ago. The whole thing looks like it was made in someone's garage. When I get a game I dont like I always eat it. But to get one that's unplayable is not tolerable. Crappy interface, crappy tutorial, just an all around crap game.

I don't expect Matrix to do the right thing and issue me a store credit, but AGEOD has ripped me off for the last time. And make no mistake this cheesy crap is a rip.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i agree with wodin tbh, games seems a bit rushed and maybe needed more development, and also the engine needs an overhaul or even a new one, but it's not a bad game, but in it's present state neither is it a great game, but could be better with some time, more patches and better guides and tutorials [;)]

where as i can't see them offer anything like what you want, you may get free content with upgrades etc, as most if not all games here seem to get plenty of support, that's why we like them in the end
Raindog101

Post by Raindog101 »

i agree with wodin tbh, games seems a bit rushed and maybe needed more development, and also the engine needs an overhaul or even a new one, but it's not a bad game, but in it's present state neither is it a great game, but could be better with some time, more patches and better guides and tutorials [;)]

where as i can't see them offer anything like what you want, you may get free content with upgrades etc, as most if not all games here seem to get plenty of support, that's why we like them in the end
I wouldn't have been buying from Matrix for 12 years if I didn't like the company. I really wanted a top quality WW1 grand strategy game. I guess I wanted one too bad is the reason I jumped on AGEOD knowing it is dated beyond repair. Oh well Live and learn. Another 35 beans tossed into Santa Monica bay.

I wonder how the Panther Engine would do for a WW1 game? Napoleonic charges into .30 cal machine guns. That might be fun on that engine.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

tbh i prefer Commander The Great War for its simplicity and ease of use, but if the depth isn't there for you, i understand, there's plenty for me and it's learning curve and engine is better imo for now
Gizuria

Post by Gizuria »

The mini map is very useful for moving quickly around the map. [&:] I don't think it was intended to be used to view the deployments of your armies and corps so much as to show you the big picture and to navigate quickly.

With the exception of the AI not doing a wonderful job, I don't really see how anyone who has bought and enjoyed an AGEOD game could be quite so scathing. A new customer, yes, but a longtime customer? It's in pretty good shape for a brand new release. It plays without crashing, for me. I've pretty much seen text strings overspill text boxes in every AGEOD game I've played and I quickly learned to ignore it. I'd imagine this game will really, really shine when played MP. I can see me doing this once I've learned the ropes.
HeinzHarald

Post by HeinzHarald »

Haven't bought the game myself, but if text doesn't show properly within boxes it's usually because of Windows display scaling. It can be disabled in the compatibility tab in Properties of teaw.exe or whatever the executable is called (at least in Win8, might have to go to control panel for earlier versions).
TSkoopCRP

Post by TSkoopCRP »

There's a setting in the options that might help, something about change dpi settings for text display. Might want to check that out.

As for thoughts on the game, this is my first ageod game and it was tough jumping into it. I've played it pretty hard since release and finally am comfortable with the system. What I really like is the decisions system and the ability to play out multiple what if histories. I like the battle system and combat, dealing with the oob system was rough, but makes sense now.

The main complaint I have now that seems to really bog down play is just searching for units on the map and the message system. It would be nice if there were messages displayed on screen when your watching the action replay, then when the turn is done you can go back and look at all the logged messages as well. In the message system we have now, you have to sift through this tiny little text box, double click the message to take you to the site but it doesn't highlight or auto select the unit so you still have to search to find what exactly the message is talking about. I feel like I waste a ton of time just searching for units on the map. This can easily be fixed with patching.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I bought EAW via Matrix but am holding off playing it until it matures. Having a great time with Centennial Edition ($20 euros). As of Dec. 1914 nary a bug or crash. WWI Gold is not playable for me due to crash at Oct/Nov 1914 turn. It should really be taken off the market by Matrix.
Raindog101

Post by Raindog101 »

ORIGINAL: Skoop CRP
There's a setting in the options that might help, something about change dpi settings for text display.
Right I saw that, and that's probably why the text bleeds through the box. Or it could be because I have windows set at 125% font increase. Either way a legitimate programmer would have taken these issues into account. For a top tier game the programming is at high school level. Crappy. If you turn the DPI latch to regular you need opera glasses to see the font.

Just a really crappy game made for those with super sharp 20/20 vision, not us old timers.

And like I said besides the slip-shod rushed crappy programming and the almost nonexistent tutorials, (not that I would have been able to read them anyways) make for a lousy gaming experience.

Matrix makes some really outstanding games lovingly made by small studios with a series of options for ALL gamers. But the hacks at AGEOD aren't one of them.

I think the guys at Matrix should do extensive testing on a game before attaching their brand to the title. They should have looked at this abomination and said "no thanks."

Wargammers usually are an older crowd and our vision is not like bald eagles anymore and young guys with eyes like hawks probably don't play all that many wargames.

Anyway I want a store credit for this thing because it is unplayable to me.
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

Hi Old Eagle101,

pity that you don't like the game.

Tastes differ but I'm really surpised about your complaints.

·         You already known AGEOD games.
·         There were images to view on the internet.
·         There was a promotional video.
Raindog101

Post by Raindog101 »

ORIGINAL: Templer

Hi Old Eagle101,

pity that you don't like the game.

Tastes differ but I'm really surpised about your complaints.

·         You already known AGEOD games.
·         There were images to view on the internet.
·         There was a promotional video.
I'm not blaming anyone but myself for buying this crap. You're right I should have known. This was supposed to be an "improved" AGEOD engine. The latch for slightly larger fonts was the only improvement I could see, and of course that caused other problems that the programmers were too lazy to fix. Garbage engine, garbage game.

To repeat, I'm not blaming anyone but myself. But I've spent my last dime on anything from these money grubbing hucksters at AGEOD.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

it's not as you say a cr@p product, it's just not to your taste maybe, while i also agree it maybe rushed or not finished as yet, hopefully some patches will fix these problems eventually, i never regret a purchase, even those i no longer play, as nobody forced me to buy them so i only have myself to blame for it, so while it's a free world and we can moan all we like about almost anything now days, i don't agree with it being cr@p[:-]

thats a bit too harsh[X(] and not fair on the many who do enjoy it, and others who are sitting on the fence waiting to buy / play...

i've played better, and also many more thats a lot worse[8|]
Raindog101

Post by Raindog101 »

it's not as you say a cr@p product, it's just not to your taste maybe, while i also agree it maybe rushed or not finished as yet, hopefully some patches will fix these problems eventually, i never regret a purchase, even those i no longer play, as nobody forced me to buy them so i only have myself to blame for it, so while it's a free world and we can moan all we like about almost anything now days, i don't agree with it being cr@p[:-]

thats a bit too harsh[X(] and not fair on the many who do enjoy it, and others who are sitting on the fence waiting to buy / play...

i've played better, and also many more thats a lot worse[8|]
Of course! Crap is in the eye of the beholder. To me it's amateurishly programmed crap.

You can tell when a game was a programmed in an act of love. Distant Worlds was an act of love. The programmers were deeply involved and it is one of my all time favorite games. Commander the Great War was painstakingly created. AGEOD is just mish-mashed crapola. My opinion of course. I'm sure there are people who just love the game. How I envy them.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

most war games are made as act of love, as the target audience is small, to make money they would have made fps type instead, the engine in question is maybe passed it sell by dates yes, like a few i could mention, but to make or program a totally new engine for each and every new game wouldn't make good business sense either tbh and wouldn't be worth the return

i bypassed Civil War 2 because too many had problems with it, but as this game in question has more positive than negative atm then i'm sorry to say atm those that complaint are in the minority but are more than in their right to there opinion as well, but it's better to be constructive than negative as once purchased you want it to succeed and get better?

asking for a refund or credit maybe is a last straw, but once the box is open and the key used, then it's gone for most, see steam and try and get a refund from any game just because you don't like it, if it doesn't work thats another matter...

i'd sit and wait, as most games get better with time, and not always perfect on day one, thats life now days tbh.

at least you know if you buy from here it's supported and patched, unlike elsewhere, where it's hit and miss...
mrfeizhu

Post by mrfeizhu »

I know how you feel , some AGEOD games just don't do it for me, but many games don't do it for me. Many games seems like the period is good and should be interesting but it just doesn't do it. This one is good, i started to play it now not just playing around, and its interesting. If you bought a lot of games from matrix they may give you credit or a refund. I think the game i enjoyed the most was war in the pacific , both versions those played for years, because it took that long to finish. Try to give EAW some time maybe you will like it.
Old man sort of living in China for the last 18 years
Raindog101

Post by Raindog101 »

most war games are made as act of love, as the target audience is small, to make money they would have made fps type instead, the engine in question is maybe passed it sell by dates yes, like a few i could mention, but to make or program a totally new engine for each and every new game wouldn't make good business sense either tbh and wouldn't be worth the return

i bypassed Civil War 2 because too many had problems with it, but as this game in question has more positive than negative atm then i'm sorry to say atm those that complaint are in the minority but are more than in their right to there opinion as well, but it's better to be constructive than negative as once purchased you want it to succeed and get better?

asking for a refund or credit maybe is a last straw, but once the box is open and the key used, then it's gone for most, see steam and try and get a refund from any game just because you don't like it, if it doesn't work thats another matter...

i'd sit and wait, as most games get better with time, and not always perfect on day one, thats life now days tbh.

at least you know if you buy from here it's supported and patched, unlike elsewhere, where it's hit and miss...
I won't hold my breath waiting for AGEOD to patch Visual problems like micro font, micro map etc. They probably will patch bugs.
Raindog101

Post by Raindog101 »

ORIGINAL: mrfeizhu

I know how you feel , some AGEOD games just don't do it for me, but many games don't do it for me. Many games seems like the period is good and should be interesting but it just doesn't do it. This one is good, i started to play it now not just playing around, and its interesting. If you bought a lot of games from matrix they may give you credit or a refund. I think the game i enjoyed the most was war in the pacific , both versions those played for years, because it took that long to finish. Try to give EAW some time maybe you will like it.
I own 65 matrix games. I'd buy two more If a store credit was issued. But that's up to Matrix. I will always be a Matrix customer but AGEOD is out.

Return to “To End All Wars Series”