Sapper222 vs Callistrid (no Sapper222 pls)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Callistrid

Sapper222 vs Callistrid (no Sapper222 pls)

Post by Callistrid »

Hi guys!

New game against the mighty pro sapper222. With the damn 1:1=2:1 rule...

Rules:
Full FOW, Locked HQ, nonrandom weather and mild winter

House rules:
1. Max Number attack one hex - 5 (include bombing)
2. Airdrop - min 30 transports to load for used 2-8 hex back front lines and drop only full airborne brigade for 1-2 hex back front.
3. Max number bombing HQ in hex - 2
4. Max 3 bombing airbase, one airbase place in hex.
5. Max 5 bombing City.
Callistrid

RE: Sapper222 vs Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

T01 North

Standard starting with reinforcements from south. Elements from the 3rd panzer army threat Pskov, and the center flank, so the good question is where will be the real strike? Moscow or Leningrad.

Attachments
02.jpg
02.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 558 times
Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

T01 Center

Dendending the river, and waiting the reinforcements. Nothing special.

Attachments
04.jpg
04.jpg (361.31 KiB) Viewed 558 times
Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

T01 South

Unexpected open.
The 29th, 10th and Das Reich mot division, the 3rd, 4th, 10th, 11th, 16th and two other undetected panzer division moved south. 10 division in the first wave. Plus 5 other freezed division in the reserve. Massive power, never seen such a mobile power concentration south.

It's seems my opponent ill focus on south, so I decide to abandon west-Ukraine (as allways), retreat back to the river, but this time defend with minimal forces.
Well, with that mighty forces the germans can cross the river around T03, and try to rush Kharkow, and D-town. The only usefull strategy is to accept the industrial looses, but stop the german advance on north and center. If Kharkow will fall on T07, and D-town on T05, I'm well.

Oh, and it's realy annoying to leave behind the 9CV freezed armor. Why is that armor freezed in all game? It's really infuriating to loose a 9 CV strong division, what all other troops retreat back.

Attachments
01.jpg
01.jpg (984.84 KiB) Viewed 558 times
Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

Dnyepr line

Attachments
03.jpg
03.jpg (339.83 KiB) Viewed 558 times
Cpl_Baloo

Post by Cpl_Baloo »

How is the German situation in the center?
We are the pilgrims, master. We shall go
always a little further, it may be
beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow,
across that angry or that glimmering sea.
Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

Nothing special. The german holds Bryansk pocket, and moves with his infantry closer to the river line. Right now I'm faceing against 7 arm/mot division. 50% of the german mobile divisions (15/30) operate south.
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

There are a lot of frozen Russian units on T1. You just have to deal with it. Think of it as confusion during the first week of war. Did you agree to that house rule he wanted of 5 units max attacking? I never would accept that. You're basically going to forfeit artillery divisions mid and end war.
Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

Not 5 unit attack one hex. Max. 5 attack/one hex, inculding bombing.
timmyab

RE: Sapper222 vs Callistrid (no Sapper222 pls)

Post by timmyab »

I can't say that I'm very impressed with his opening. The North in particular looks to be well short of ideal.
Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

Sappers opening was good. But one of my routed arm division in Jekabpilis retake his active status.

But true. One mot division allways must capture Jekabpilis.
However the clear path is also important for the 16th and 18th army infantry.

Since I'm not a top german player,I'm asking the pro audience. What is better? Crossing the river around Ruga, or east around Daugapvilis?
My experienced as russian player, the Daugapvilis cross seems to be better.
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

We'll have to agree to disagree on that I think. Also can anyone tell me what is the point of taking Riga on turn one?
Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

You need two armor division, and one airbase to support the attack. Plus attach 1-3 engineer battalion.
BJP III

Post by BJP III »

ORIGINAL: timmyab

We'll have to agree to disagree on that I think. Also can anyone tell me what is the point of taking Riga on turn one?

I agree -- the two Pz divisions end up way out of position, because they now have to cross lousy terrain on the way to Pskov.

IMO, the main trick to a strong AGN opening is to make sure that you capture the bad potential rout locations (like Jelgava and all the towns near the Dvina) before any Russians rout into them. You can do this by opening a small hole in the line and sending in a couple of Mot (or Pz) units to convert the hexes. As long as you convert enough hexes between Riga and the remaining Russians, they cannot reopen the pocket on T1. For safety's sake, I usually leave a Pz or Mot unit in the Jelgava vicinity anyway.
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

Also can anyone tell me what is the point of taking Riga on turn one?

My thoughts on Riga:

1. It is always better to take Riga on T1 because on T2 it can be a major obstacle if the Russians reinforce the city.
2. You can bomb the port of Kuressare and chances are very high that Riga will be a supply source on T2 or at least T3. Then your troops at Pskov will be in better supply.
3. If you just bypass Riga and wait for Leningrad to fall you need to make sure you have good house rules regarding airborne drops or at least cover your rail lines.

But as BJP points out there are always negative aspects to any strategy in this game which is nice. Callistrid's response in the south is another example. Yes, he will not lose any additional units but most likely saper222 will be at Dnepropetrovsk on T4 as he only has to flip hexes and his units in the south will be in perfect supply.
Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

T02 North

The situation is superb. The german troops are far from Pskov, and I break the encirclement south from the river. And what awesome, I still hold the river line, and the german infantry divs don't cross.
I won a full, or even more turn to build fortification, and defend Leningrad. Capturing Pskov will be a hard task, without infantry support.

Attachments
03.jpg
03.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 558 times
Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

T02 Center

Nothing interesting. The german will attack only on T04.

Attachments
02.jpg
02.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 558 times
Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

T02 South

Another major retreat. D-town will fall on T04, and the Dnyepr river will be cross around T04-T05.

Next turn I will loose 18 Arm, and 21 Industrial factory.

Attachments
01.jpg
01.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 558 times
loki100

Post by loki100 »

real range of emotions in that turn. Your riposte in the north was very impressive and should buy you a lot of time at Leningrad.

In the south, have you not pulled back too far too fast? I realise that anything in the Western Ukraine is going to be lost, but as it is all Sapper222 needs to do is to flip the hexes thus making even faster progress to the Dniepr?
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

Are you sure this is the mighty Sapper you're playing? The North looks like a lot of beginner's errors joined together. The center is looking a bit aimless and in the South I think he should have pushed further East than he has. Not impressed at all.

Return to “After Action Reports”