EuroWIFCon is heating engine

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Joseignacio

EuroWIFCon is heating engine

Post by Joseignacio »

EWC will be held in the usual German beautiful town (Hofgeismar) from Oct 24th to Nov 02nd.

Registration is open and info can be got at www.eurowif.de

I am trying to get holidays on that week. Cannot wait.
composer99

RE: EuroWIFCon is heating engine

Post by composer99 »

... okay, I can't get past the thread title. It sounds like EuroWiFCon is violating the laws of thermodynamics or something. [:D]
~ Composer99
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

I forgot the last "s" but isn't it correct to say "heating engines" when speaking of racing or similars? [:)]
composer99

Post by composer99 »

My most recent exposure to any kind of car-racing knowledge is from Cars, so don't ask me. I know nothing. [:)]
~ Composer99
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: composer99

My most recent exposure to any kind of car-racing knowledge is from Cars, so don't ask me. I know nothing. [:)]
I learn. I learn. I get better. [:D]

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Omnius

Wo ist Hofgeismar?

Post by Omnius »

Dang I'll actually be in Germany and Austria during this WiF convention. I don't know where Hofgeismar is but I doubt it's near Munich. If it is I might get lucky enough to see it for a few hours.

Omnius
Orm

RE: Wo ist Hofgeismar?

Post by Orm »

I think it is around 300 miles from Munich to Hofgeismar. A 5 to 6 hours drive if my memory serves.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

According to the routeplanner it's 500 kilometers and it takes 4 hours and 45 minutes aproxx.

You don't have to pass a lot of major cities, so normally, you won't get stuck in traffic.
Peter
Omnius

Post by Omnius »

Orm,
Thanks for the info regarding where Hofgeismar is. I did find it near Hesse I think, quite far from Munich. Since I'll be even further away near Braunau, Austria, I won't be making it this year. If they have this EuroWiFCon next year around the same time and place then I may plan to make it.

I sure hope I don't hear that message from Captain Moody when I'm flying to and from Europe. [:D]

Omnius
Omnius

Post by Omnius »

Centuur,
Thanks for the drive time estimate. Were I doing the driving here in California I'd drop the 45 minutes easy. Driving in Germany I'd add an extra 45. Nice to see Wif is popular in Europe.

Omnius
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

ORIGINAL: Omnius

Orm,
Thanks for the info regarding where Hofgeismar is. I did find it near Hesse I think, quite far from Munich. Since I'll be even further away near Braunau, Austria, I won't be making it this year. If they have this EuroWiFCon next year around the same time and place then I may plan to make it.

I sure hope I don't hear that message from Captain Moody when I'm flying to and from Europe. [:D]

Omnius

EWC is always (AFAIK) in the same place, and it's an annual Con, around the same dates, sometimes it has been some weeks earlier but most people is more comfortable with these, it seems.

So you can start making plans... [:)]

Yes, IIRW, it's in the Hesse "state" (or whatever they call it). The closer significant city which is close (maybe 20miles) is Kassel.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

ORIGINAL: Omnius

Centuur,
Thanks for the drive time estimate. Were I doing the driving here in California I'd drop the 45 minutes easy. Driving in Germany I'd add an extra 45. Nice to see Wif is popular in Europe.

Omnius

Well, I am rather surprised. Did you know that in German motorways (or the word is highways?) there is no speed limit? I have gone with one o the "EWConners" at about 240 km/h, or like 150 mph... [X(]

As for the popularity, it's difficult to say. Of course we are a niche market. However, I keep on finding wiffers and exwiffers in Madrid. And Madrid is "only" like 4 million people, with 500 million or so in EU, there should be quite a few...
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Repeated post.
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

I recommend a Suzuki GSX-1300 or Kawasaki ZX-14. They'll get you there pretty swiftly [:D]
Cheers, Neilster
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Neilster

I recommend a Suzuki GSX-1300 or Kawasaki ZX-14. They'll get you there pretty swiftly [:D]
Or it might get you a extended hospital visit or maybe even a eulogy. [:(]

Drive smart and safe.
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: Orm

Or it might get you a extended hospital visit or maybe even a eulogy. [:(]

Drive smart and safe.
Motorbikes are not nearly as dangerous as people think. The problem is they attract young, risk-taking blokes and many car pilots are barely looking where they are going/breaking up the fight in the backseat/fiddling with the drink-holder/adjusting the stereo etc.

I've been riding sportsbikes for nearly 20 years, with only one minor get-off that wasn't my fault and I walked away from. You have a superb, unimpeded view; you can see over almost all cars; you are nimble; you have killer brakes and you have the acceleration to get out of trouble if you might be collided with by said car driver.

If you wear proper riding gear, have a well maintained vehicle and have a clue, there is no real problem. A lot of people don't understand motorcycles and are overly sensitive when they hear about their crashes; ignoring all the car crashes that occur. There are still a lot of old motorcyclists around and you can even get air-bag jackets now. Ultimately, there are risks in almost anything we do. It's about managing them. Bikes are just so much fun they're worth it.

Cheers Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Not only the bikes. I would never drive at 240 km/h. In fact I usually don't pass 140, however, I was being carried by an expert driver, who used to drive at that speed, the roads allowed it (the state of the road, not only the regulations), the other drivers were also used to having cars driving at that speed and were well aware, and the guy almost wasn't able to keep a deep conversation (nor I tried to) because he was focused 100%.

The car was a brand new top of the line Mercedes with maximum security features.

Anyway I am not eager to repeat the experience too much, made me rather uneasy, although I am thankful for that ride and for having the opportunity to experience that. Made me uneasy but anyway I got asleep the second time I went with him, because I was exhausted from the EWC. [:D]
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Bikes are just so much fun they're worth it.

Cheers Neilster

And if you get tired of it you can always switch to a car...
[:'(]

Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Yeah. I've seen that before. Pretty crazy.

I rode my motorbike to here today. It's the 1270 metre high summit of Mount Wellington (Aboriginal name kunyani). It only takes about 20 minutes from where I live in Sandy Bay, Hobart; travelling through the higher suburbs, temperate rainforest and finally alpine vegetation. I'm lucky to have so many great motorcycling roads close to Hobart.

Cheers, Neilster

Attachments
SAM_1314.jpg
SAM_1314.jpg (284.79 KiB) Viewed 337 times
Cheers, Neilster
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

You're basically looking from where it says C616, West of Hobart to the South East towards Storm Bay.

Cheers, Neilster

Edited because I broke the page with too big a map [:-] [;)]

Attachments
Hobart map.jpg
Hobart map.jpg (161.78 KiB) Viewed 337 times
Cheers, Neilster

Return to “World in Flames”