Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PBEM Game Recommendation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> PBEM Game Recommendation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PBEM Game Recommendation - 8/28/2014 12:18:11 AM   
TundraToad

Hello

I slowly getting a few of my friends to play strategy games via email. I have a small group playing Dominions 4 and have another friend who is playing Commander the Great War (on our 4th game).

Another friend and I want to start a new game via email. Complexity can be more than CTGW but not a whole lot more. Time period/scope is flexible as long as its a good game.

Thanks for any input.

T
Post #: 1
RE: PBEM Game Recommendation - 8/28/2014 1:57:39 AM   
MrsWargamer

Battle Academy.

Fun game, brain dead easy interface to learn, fast turns, simple as hell multi player environment. The game is a well developed well supported design and there is numerous expansions to indulge.

Panzer Corps, same comments as above, but it is operational level style.

This games are not overly detailed complex mega game tedium though. Just ignore the inevitable 'beer and pretzels' remarks. I enjoy beer and pretzels while playing any game, so the remark means virtually nothing.

Now if you want a very nice game at the grand strategy level, probably one of the best choices is Strategic Command. It's not a new game, you can likely buy it for peanuts, but it is still one of the best games to get your fix of more conventional board game wargame looking experiences.

I am mentioning these designs all specifically for their play a turn, send a turn aspects.

You might also look into Combat Mission. It is turn based as well.

(in reply to TundraToad)
Post #: 2
RE: PBEM Game Recommendation - 8/28/2014 9:40:11 PM   
Rick

quote:

ORIGINAL: TundraToad

Hello

I slowly getting a few of my friends to play strategy games via email. I have a small group playing Dominions 4 and have another friend who is playing Commander the Great War (on our 4th game).

Another friend and I want to start a new game via email. Complexity can be more than CTGW but not a whole lot more. Time period/scope is flexible as long as its a good game.

Thanks for any input.

T

You can also check out the demo for Panzer Command Ostfront, it has a MP mode that works really well if you use something like dropbox.

Rick

(in reply to TundraToad)
Post #: 3
RE: PBEM Game Recommendation - 8/29/2014 12:46:09 AM   
rosseau

Never in years played MP until Battle Academy. Just happened to find someone of my (low) skill level and it was a great experience. SP tends to bore me a bit, but yes, great recommendation and great servers.

(in reply to Rick)
Post #: 4
RE: PBEM Game Recommendation - 8/29/2014 5:37:11 AM   
Joe 98

Combat Command - Matrix Edition.

Fabulous hex based wargame. Very underrated.

(in reply to rosseau)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> PBEM Game Recommendation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI