OT - ACTION STATIONS

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

wegman58

OT - ACTION STATIONS

Post by wegman58 »

One of my favorite games of all time was ACTION STATIONS. I see a lot of games migrating platforms (they just had a sale on the Eagle Day/Bombing Germany games I played in the age of DOS. I'm wondering if ACTION STATIONS ever migrated to WINDOWS (or the Mac equivalent) and if it didn't - might be a good thing for Matrix to pick up. The pointer to the JUTLAND game brought this to mind and there is a LOT of knowledge here.
Bill Goin
geofflambert

RE: OT - ACTION STATIONS

Post by geofflambert »

I want an up to date Silent Steel so I can waste more hours than I already am trying to unload all my torpedoes and getting hammered if I try and use my deck gun.

Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: wegman58

One of my favorite games of all time was ACTION STATIONS. I see a lot of games migrating platforms (they just had a sale on the Eagle Day/Bombing Germany games I played in the age of DOS. I'm wondering if ACTION STATIONS ever migrated to WINDOWS (or the Mac equivalent) and if it didn't - might be a good thing for Matrix to pick up. The pointer to the JUTLAND game brought this to mind and there is a LOT of knowledge here.
You could try contacting Alan Zimm...search for him on the internet.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I want an up to date Silent Steel so I can waste more hours than I already am trying to unload all my torpedoes and getting hammered if I try and use my deck gun.

I remember that game. Was OK. I was playing Panzer leader at the time it came out. Wasn't into computer games much then....GP
And that Board game War in the Pacific.[;)]
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Tried plying it through a DOS emulator?
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

I think I was first exposed to it at a convention in NYC. With counters. I was a poor college kid at the time (maybe even high school). We bid for ships. We had at least one Nelson in the game, when the guy who bought it found out about the rate of fire he was NOT happy. I got a destroyer and got to close to BISMARCK (I think it was described as they just took a crane and dropped enough to sink you). And too close for the torpedoes to arm. I think Zimm may have been there. You had to estimate range, no camera rangefinders allowed in the room.

And I'd need a way of loading floppies to a windows box to try the DOS emulator thing.

I found Buzz Aldrin's Race to Space on an emulator you can bring to a windows box (for free no less) via Wikipedia I think. I imagine we'll have better graphics with the one due in the fall.
Bill Goin
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

If you have 3.5 inch floppies you can buy a USB floppy drive on Amazon for $10-$15.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

Wow. Now I have to check if they are 3.5 or 5.25
Bill Goin
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Gents -

Action Stations works on my XP with Dos Box. Haven't tried it on my i7 Win7 yet.

wegman58 - I have both the original game and the expansion (originally on 5.5 now on 3.5 floppy's). If interested, shoot me a PM; perhaps I can send you the game with expansion via a CD.

My understanding is that Action Stations is abandon ware; if I am wrong, and it is still under copy write protection, please let me know.

Some years back the game (and rules) were available for download as abandon ware at Home of the Underdogs (IIRC).

edit: Just checked; the site is still up and Action Stations is available for download.

Mac

LAV-25 2147
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

I have a working 5.25" drive on a Windows 95 PC...it also has a 3.5" drive but alas no USB.
The bios thinks it's January 1, 1990 on bootup, so I have to run setup every time.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Sounds like the BIOS battery died. If you look on the motherboard, there will be a large watch battery about the size of a quarter. If you replace that, it will remember the setup.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Sounds like the BIOS battery died. If you look on the motherboard, there will be a large watch battery about the size of a quarter. If you replace that, it will remember the setup.

Bill
That would work, but I only boot it once a year.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Just compare them to your baculum. If they're similar in length, you have 3.5 floppies, in more ways than one.

Just kidding.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”