Matrix Games Forums

A new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

2 larger units tied down by 1 small unit.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Piercing Fortress Europa >> 2 larger units tied down by 1 small unit. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2 larger units tied down by 1 small unit. - 8/24/2014 11:17:36 PM   
jack54

This is making me crazy... 2 US units (size 3 and 4) are in hex 3,4 with a size 1 Italian unit SW in hex 2,4. I have the size 3 US unit (US 1st) attack SW.

I would like to move the size 4 (US 2nd) S or SE but I am only allowed to Attack SW. The only other options are to stand pat or withdraw to the highlighted hexes in right image.

Is this WAD? I think a larger unit should be able to attack into a smaller unit ZOC.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jack54 -- 8/25/2014 12:23:10 AM >

mostly playing
Flashpoint Campaigns:Red Storm, RUS, Germany at War, Drums of War, Hannibal Rome/Carthage, Hannibal:TOR

Post #: 1
RE: 2 larger units tied down by 1 small unit. - 8/24/2014 11:34:20 PM   
Michael T

Can't you just plot a move to these vacant hexes if you engage the neighbour? I haven't tested it myself but in my PBEM I occasionally see units slip by my zoc's of engaged units even when the attack is unsuccessful. I asked this question previously but it was never answered.

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to jack54)
Post #: 2
RE: 2 larger units tied down by 1 small unit. - 8/24/2014 11:47:54 PM   
SMK-at-work

sometimes units lose their ZOC - indicated by a red triangle in the top left corner IIRC - but you don't see that for enemy units of course.

As for the OP - ZOC's will pin you, AFAIK it's a feature not a bug, and using and avoiding them is a skill to be developed :)

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 3
RE: 2 larger units tied down by 1 small unit. - 8/25/2014 12:01:05 AM   
jack54

Yeah I'm afraid it's a feature...
I can't plot a move... once the US 2nd is selected the options are attack the It136 or withdraw.

I don't mind being pinned by ZOC but this is a large force being pinned by a small force that is being attacked by another larger force; seems to me the US 2 should be able to attack the ZOC hex south.

< Message edited by jack54 -- 8/25/2014 1:34:46 AM >

mostly playing
Flashpoint Campaigns:Red Storm, RUS, Germany at War, Drums of War, Hannibal Rome/Carthage, Hannibal:TOR

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 4
RE: 2 larger units tied down by 1 small unit. - 8/25/2014 2:04:32 AM   
Michael T

There is something weird that happens occasionally with zoc's then. As I said the enemy sometimes slipped by my zoc's. But it only happens when they were engaged in battle. They were not lacking a zoc. They won the battle and some enemy units slipped by. Very low disruption and no red triangle on my units. I was assuming that an engaged unit somehow lost its zoc temporarily. If I see it again I will post the files.

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to jack54)
Post #: 5
RE: 2 larger units tied down by 1 small unit. - 8/25/2014 3:58:08 AM   
Michael T

see this file for an example of what I am talking about

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3682467&mpage=1&key=�

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 6
RE: 2 larger units tied down by 1 small unit. - 8/25/2014 6:30:12 AM   
FrankHunter

Jack, "but this is a large force being pinned by a small force that is being attacked by another larger force; seems to me the US 2 should be able to attack the ZOC hex south"

I'll look at this, thanks.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 7
RE: 2 larger units tied down by 1 small unit. - 8/28/2014 11:46:24 PM   
jack54

Thanks Frank....sorry I was on the road for a few days and unable to respond...I have saves if you'd like them.

mostly playing

(in reply to FrankHunter)
Post #: 8
RE: 2 larger units tied down by 1 small unit. - 8/29/2014 7:12:27 AM   
FrankHunter

Nope, that's okay I know the problem. The change I've made is to remove the ability to have a ZoC for size 1 units and units that are functionally at size 1. I'll see how that goes as I test the new version.

(in reply to jack54)
Post #: 9
RE: 2 larger units tied down by 1 small unit. - 8/29/2014 4:49:02 PM   
jack54

quote:

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter

Nope, that's okay I know the problem. The change I've made is to remove the ability to have a ZoC for size 1 units and units that are functionally at size 1. I'll see how that goes as I test the new version.

Can you see a size 1 unit pinning another small unit or is the hex size too large for a size 1 unit to have a ZOC?

mostly playing

(in reply to FrankHunter)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Piercing Fortress Europa >> 2 larger units tied down by 1 small unit. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI