Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

To End All Wars First Look

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> To End All Wars First Look Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
To End All Wars First Look - 8/23/2014 6:48:53 AM   
JeanAllTrekkie

I just posted Part 1 of my First Look of 'To End All Wars'. This is AGEOD latest title using their renown engine and gameplay style. Head to my website to have a look at this upcoming title.

Visit http://www.strategywargamer.com

Learn about the best Strategy Wargames visit:

www.strategywargamer.com
Post #: 1
RE: To End All Wars First Look - 8/23/2014 7:00:19 AM   
zakblood

looks good, maybe a bit too much in depth for me, seems to have a lot of stuff going off with stats and stuff. but thanks for sharing...

im more of the Commander The Great War type of game myself, easy of use and less info / stats needed to read so can jump right in, some will really love it i'm sure as it looks good, i'm just on the fence atm with it im sorry to say.

looks more like a full blown sim than a game but can't really say more until i play it, which may be while as i have enough to be going on with right now

reminds me of the Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series type game, a lot to learn and get use to before you can appreciate it fully and play, i'm more of a less depth player so may or may not go for it tbh

< Message edited by zakblood -- 8/23/2014 8:10:43 AM >

(in reply to JeanAllTrekkie)
Post #: 2
RE: To End All Wars First Look - 8/23/2014 1:45:51 PM   
Ranger33

So many great games available around here, so little time. I already have a stack of massive wargames that I need to get my money's worth out of before even thinking about this one. That said, it looks very interesting, and I do enjoy the AGEOD system.

Good to see WWI getting some quality titles lately, my interest in the subject has been greatly increased from listening to Dan Carlin's current podcast series on the subject.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: To End All Wars First Look - 8/23/2014 1:48:02 PM   
KurtC

I'll probably buy it, but the turn lengths seem to be long which was a criticism of Pride of Nations. I know it is not using the same engine as Pride of Nations, but I'm worried about that time. A lot of units have to move and the AI needs to coordinate. Maybe the first turn takes longer since everything on the Central Powers side will be moving on the 1st turn, or most everything.

My known forum name is H Gilmer

He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 4
RE: To End All Wars First Look - 8/30/2014 10:07:30 AM   
zakblood

have had a second look and a more indepth one at that, and have totally changed my mind about the game now...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3684927&mpage=1&key=�

now i'll buy it

seems i was too quick in my first reply and didn't give it the time it needed, after some research and looking elsewhere for feedback etc, seeing more and reading what others had put etc, i have had second thoughts, from sitting on the fence, now it's on the list of purchases

(in reply to KurtC)
Post #: 5
RE: To End All Wars First Look - 8/30/2014 4:45:27 PM   
wodin

zak what made you change your mind? As I have read people having issues over trench warfare which was something I was wary about anyway due to the two very different types of warfare on the West front especially and I couldn't see how the Ageod engine could do it..as it should feel like two different games over the course of the game. Going to hold off for abit and see if anything changes on those lines.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 6
RE: To End All Wars First Look - 8/30/2014 4:58:36 PM   
zakblood

settings in the menu's for me, as most of the comments seemed to be about how hard it was, or stuff was too hard to manage etc, with most not altering the settings maybe, i looked at my friends and watched him play it, with settings altered it seemed a lot easier than i first thought, and maybe worth the time and effort needed, yes still wants the odd patch, but a good game is in there and maybe worth the time, i still like Commander The Great War, but thats for different reasons and both are different enough to have them both and enjoy each, as each have their merits and poorer points, but both will get fixed and i like the games and choices they both offer

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 7
RE: To End All Wars First Look - 8/30/2014 5:13:03 PM   
wodin

OK cool...thought you might have read something that would ease my doubts:) Still in no rush and happy to hold off for abit.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 8
RE: To End All Wars First Look - 8/30/2014 5:18:44 PM   
zakblood

i tend to make my own mind up tbh, i see what others post, read a bit online, see the odd youtube video, read more AAR's, but then either grab a demo, or look at someone else who owns it and watch them, after a chat and watch, i thought, why not, it seems more in depth than i'm use to, but it also looked and felt well done, so in for a penny as they say here :) in good old UK

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 9
RE: To End All Wars First Look - 8/30/2014 5:26:46 PM   
wodin

I'm in Liverpool:)

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 10
RE: To End All Wars First Look - 8/30/2014 5:52:25 PM   
zakblood

sunny robin hood country myself nottingham, well on the outskirts tbh so nearer to newark

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 11
RE: To End All Wars First Look - 8/31/2014 2:42:41 AM   
KurtC

I ended up buying it and I like it better than any of the other Ageod games. I have always wanted an in-depth WW1 game and this seems to be it. I am even doing an AAR for the first time ever.

My known forum name is H Gilmer

He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 12
RE: To End All Wars First Look - 8/31/2014 3:28:32 AM   
aaatoysandmore

If it was WWI air warfare turn based I'd be interested. But, ground based combat of WWI looks boring to play. Back n forth in a trench line movement isn't much different from standing 100 yards away from each other in the civilwar and pelting one another. It's too stalematey for me. WWII is more exciting with lots of maneuvers and stuff. But, it did make me find "The Lost Battallion" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyJwtC8kwJM and watch it again. I can see the posters now for recruiting for WWI..."Join the Army now....you get to play in the mud boys!" Mud throwing contests morning, noon and night! You'll never have to take a bath again!

< Message edited by aaatoysandmore -- 8/31/2014 4:33:58 AM >

(in reply to KurtC)
Post #: 13
RE: To End All Wars First Look - 8/31/2014 4:47:03 AM   
flanyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

If it was WWI air warfare turn based I'd be interested. But, ground based combat of WWI looks boring to play. Back n forth in a trench line movement isn't much different from standing 100 yards away from each other in the civilwar and pelting one another. It's too stalematey for me. WWII is more exciting with lots of maneuvers and stuff. But, it did make me find "The Lost Battallion" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyJwtC8kwJM and watch it again. I can see the posters now for recruiting for WWI..."Join the Army now....you get to play in the mud boys!" Mud throwing contests morning, noon and night! You'll never have to take a bath again!

WWI had a lot more variety than you give it credit, the west front trench slog was just one of a huge variety of types of warfare. Also fwiw late war west front was very very different and more mobile than mid war, and early war likewise.

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 14
RE: To End All Wars First Look - 8/31/2014 5:05:40 AM   
zakblood

it doesn't have to be a static affair, on many fronts it wasn't and isn't, so depends on how you play or let things happen, not always goes to plan, sea battles for one are hard, unless you are the brits btw :)

(in reply to flanyboy)
Post #: 15
RE: To End All Wars First Look - 9/1/2014 4:33:12 AM   
aaatoysandmore

I guess I'd rather play the individual battles then for WWI. Like Verdun. I had a gamette once of Verdun by Strategy and Tactics but I misplaced it and never got a chance to set it up and really play it out. I would like a WWI FPS though. I think there is one out now. I'll have to look around to find it.

Do a Planes and Dogfights of WWI campaign turn based and I'll buy it in a heartbeat. I really enjoy those old movies about WWI dogfights and plane tactics. I have Wings game (origionally on Amiga 500) but that doesn't really do it for me. I can no longer do the twitch fest anymore on games like that. I need turn based like that Rook company or whatever it's name is that made a turn based Bloody April game I think. I'll have to look that one up again also.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 16
RE: To End All Wars First Look - 9/1/2014 4:58:59 AM   
zakblood

please don't mention Amigas or atari, spectrums or commodores, BBC or other older types or i start crying for the good old days

store.steampowered.com/app/242860/

only ground based i think, and also a fps, so no grand strategy

or search for History Line 1914-1918 (aka The Great War 1914-1918)

old dos game though, Blue Byte Software GmbH, but released as abandonware now, so free

or grab the amiga version from lemonamiga, again it's freeware, so legal

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/1/2014 6:07:47 AM >

Post #: 17
RE: To End All Wars First Look - 9/1/2014 10:45:52 AM   
aaatoysandmore

I still have 4 commodore 64's, 2 Amiga 500's and 3 of those 1701 monitors. I even have a non-working commodore 128 up in a closet around here somewheres. Couple or 3 of the 5-1/4" hard drives. An old Sierra Ultima II game box with cloth map and oh about a million (exaggerated) commodore 64 games. Get this a 40MB hard drive for the Amiga 500's. lol 40megabytes, used to hold tons of games in its day.

I remember 1914-1918 but as I recall there was a lot more activity than just sitting in a trench and charging each others lines every other day. What about Anicent War in the Skies? It was a WWI airware game as well and the trenches moved based on how well you played the lil arcade airwar. I remember I had some pretty awkward looking trenches in that game because of that.

Member how those enclosed commodore powerpaks burnt out so much? I have a ton of those too that I had to replace. Heck man I'm a walking museum of the home computer age from Commodore to present.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 18
RE: To End All Wars First Look - 9/1/2014 11:33:23 AM   
zakblood

the only thing i kept is my old spectrum 48k, and a 128k version, both still work, but don't use either, emulation now for everything tbh as it quicker

Post #: 19
RE: To End All Wars First Look - 9/1/2014 2:12:35 PM   
VPaulus

Still have my Speccy 48k and A500. Unfortunately, I sold my Atari 800XL and C64 a long time ago.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 20
RE: To End All Wars First Look - 9/1/2014 3:12:08 PM   
zakblood

well as i was offered next to nothing so i kept mine, sold a few that could make something and just use emulation for those now, well all tbh...

but kept all games up in the loft for now, boxed and airtight and watertight, so sealed against the GF ebayer lust...

seen some silly prices for hardware nowadays, makes you think, well does me, how much i paid for it, how much i let some of it go for, and what its worth now, a Neogeo working for instant, shocking tbh

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 21
RE: To End All Wars First Look - 9/1/2014 6:27:18 PM   
aaatoysandmore

Games have come a long way since then huh? Still waiting on Steel Panther update though. Erik? Iain? that other guy?

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> To End All Wars First Look Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI