Still Playing TOAW II!!!

Post advice on tactics and strategies here; share your experience on how to become a better wargamer.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

escottcarp

Still Playing TOAW II!!!

Post by escottcarp »

Just a general note. I bought this game in 2000 after looking for a battle simulator similar to the ones we used when I was in the Army (Got out 1/1994). I played the Desert Storm scenario several times and won each one (I knew the strategy, right?) and played the Russian-Chinese scenario as both a Russian and a Chinese and lost each time.

A few days ago, I came across the disk after cleaning and reorganizing my home office and decided to play a turn.

I see there is a TOAW III, now. Wow.

You may be surprised that TOAW is very similar to the 'old' battle simulators the Army actually used. I imagine it is similar to the new ones too. As with any simulator, programming is very important and there is some gamesmanship involved. You know, if the computer allows something to happen, then exploit it!

I found this forum after a Google search to see if there are any cheats available. Wow! there are a couple of forums???!!!

I'll probably play off and on for a few weeks and put the gamed away again. I might go ahead and get TOAW III. I've enjoyed the forum and the great info that serious gamers are posting.

Thanks!!!!
escottcarp

RE: Still Playing TOAW II!!!

Post by escottcarp »

Last night I played the Russian-Chinese scenario as the Chinese general and finally won. It's probably easy for many people here. But, it's my first time to win this one.
golden delicious

Post by golden delicious »

ORIGINAL: escottcarp

You may be surprised that TOAW is very similar to the 'old' battle simulators the Army actually used. I imagine it is similar to the new ones too.

I understand the US Army actually did some trials with TOAW at one point because it was close enough to their requirements. That would have been about ten years ago now.
As with any simulator, programming is very important and there is some gamesmanship involved. You know, if the computer allows something to happen, then exploit it!

It's not just programming but scenario design! A lot of the really serious problems with gameplay can be laid at the feet of the scenario designer as opposed to the code. Even more so as a lot of loopholes are closed with TOAW III.
I'll probably play off and on for a few weeks and put the gamed away again. I might go ahead and get TOAW III. I've enjoyed the forum and the great info that serious gamers are posting.

I recommend it (III). At this point the changes are a real advance on the old versions- especially if you were used to II, which is actually two versions back.
"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."
fogger

Post by fogger »

Buy TOAW 3. It will be the last game you will but this side of TOAW 4 which is a year + away. Since buying TOAW 3 I have purchased one other game (GG's War in the east)which I played a couple of times and then came back to TOAW. I was out of action for 4 months a couple of years ago and my son purchased a couple of games for me while I was on R&R but they are still sitting in their boxes.

The only thing better than TOAW is my wife [&o]and the drugs that I was on when I was in hospital (especially the drug that Micheal jackson OD on. Some very lovely dreams, strange but lovely)

On second thought run away now while you still can. [;)]
Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: escottcarp

Last night I played the Russian-Chinese scenario as the Chinese general and finally won. It's probably easy for many people here. But, it's my first time to win this one.
I can recommend all the smaller WW1 scenarios from various designers... played Mons 1914 y'day... and in commemoration of it hoisted this one (Brits brought it back from the UK to me in Cyprus!):

Klink, Oberst

Attachments
gcgiaddhCustom.jpg
gcgiaddhCustom.jpg (94.22 KiB) Viewed 199 times
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

Return to “The War Room”