New Tiller Release

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Yogi the Great

New Tiller Release

Post by Yogi the Great »

Noticed this today

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
parusski

RE: New Tiller Release

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

Noticed this today

Nice, I think I will buy it.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
wings7

Post by wings7 »

[:D]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

I purchased it and I am liking it. I have played as Imperial Russia and unless you play some of the fantasy scenarios then they are almost impossible to win. With the time constraints and terrain, uniting the two wings of the Russian army is an impossible task. The German troops have better defensive terrain, more and better artillery, higher quality troops with better morale and interior lines. They can easily crush either wing of your army.

Next I would like to see something on the Austro-Italian front or Austro-Russo front or even something in the Levant/Iraq.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I had bought France '14 and the pace of that game was so agonizingly slow. Even after modding movement points, my units kept getting stopped in their tracks for this reason or that. It took forever for anything decisive to happen.

That's sort of an HPS hallmark and WWI trench warfare just makes it worse. And yes, I have almost all HPS titles. I was disappointed John Tiller's team decided to spend its creative talents on another slow mover like this one.

Or has something changed with this title?
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

I had bought France '14 and the pace of that game was so agonizingly slow. Even after modding movement points, my units kept getting stopped in their tracks for this reason or that. It took forever for anything decisive to happen.

That's sort of an HPS hallmark and WWI trench warfare just makes it worse. And yes, I have almost all HPS titles. I was disappointed John Tiller's team decided to spend its creative talents on another slow mover like this one.

Or has something changed with this title?

I found the speed of France 14 to be okay. WW1 was slower in that everything was non mechanized and the age of calvary was coming to a close. Plus many of the scenarios include forts, entrenchments and poor terrain. Plus units are larger in size than the typical company/battalion size and due to lack of communications they are disrupted more easily.
Also, your larger artillery takes pre-plotting which requires extra attention. You don't have the 'instant' fire support of the Panzer Campaigns/Modern Campaigns games.
The warfare itself is more about planning several turns in advance and massing troops for the decisive blow at your chosen location. Technology means that the defender always has the advantage so as the attacker you have to win by maneuver and attrition and sheer weight of numbers.

I will disagree with you about the trench warfare. The game ends with the Battle of the Marne. Up until that time, WW1 was very mobile (for it's day). It was only after the Marne that the Germans abandoned their straight drive on Paris and both sides dug in from Flanders to the Swiss border.

My favorite battles are the battles of the Frontiers where the French attempted to counter attack through very bad terrain. It is a very fluid set of battles with attacks, counter attacks. Sometimes the same ground is won and lost many times over. I would not call it slow. Both sides have to rapidly feed in reinforcements as their units are ground down. The French take horrific losses and the Germans were undermanned in that sector and every artillery tube and machine gun company becomes extremely important to hold back the French onslaught.

In this newest title. It is perhaps 'slow' since movement speeds are the same. However, both sides can make use of some decent roads and the closer you get to Koenigsberg the better the roads become. There are areas of heavy forests, rivers, steams and lakes that led to the Russian downfall. As the Imperial Russian commander you have to make every effort to unite the two wings of your army that are separated by a river and a lake. Each wing while strong is poorly trained, low on morale and lacking in artillery and machine guns. You do however have numbers, reinforcements, multiple avenues for attack and a abundance of calvary that can act as screens, recon and throw German movements off schedule. Cossacks are pretty awesome. Good morale and great movement range. Great for harassment.

As the Germans, you have an experienced and well trained force and also reserve formations that are good quality for second line troops. You also have good artillery and machine guns (at least for 1914)
But you are outnumbered, have to defend a lot of scattered points and each wing of the Russian army is about as large as your single army. You can defeat them in detail but you have to decisively crush each wing and limit losses so that you can deal with the other wing. If they unite then you have no hope of victory. Also the Russian calvary is a constant menace and can show up in real force to delay movement and uncover your movement intentions. Your own calvary is good quality but is lacking in numbers to keep your forces adequately screened.
You have the advantage of the terrain but you have to be very precise in how much of your force you send to crush one wing of the Russian army while keeping in mind to leave enough of a skeleton force in place to delay the other wing. It is possible to be in the process of defeating one wing only to have the other wing break through and attack your rear while you are actively engaged. Or worse yet, the only wing can simply drive past you and capture Koenigsberg and win a decisive victory even if you suffer few losses.

And you also get to play the role of railroad administrator and you shuttle forces around. It is a fantastic asset but also a headache since you have limited rail capacity and the roving Russian Calvary can cut the track.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

All of which is historically accurate. It just tries my patience. I do like HPS WWI Squad Battles game. And for those few who do Company of Heroes, Steam just released a free mod on WWI that is quite nicely done (for an RTS).

Return to “General Discussion”