Fantasy Battlegroup

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

Tazak

Fantasy Battlegroup

Post by Tazak »

Imagine you were a ruler (or dictator!) and had the money and approval to buy any piece of military hardware from any nation, what would be your ideal ground force makeup?

Using only what is present in FPRS during 1979-1989 what would be your fantasy ideal battlegroup. Using a force size of a battlegroup or reinforced battalion (i.e. 3-5 companies, 3 separate platoons count as 1 coy, a battery equals 1 coy, or different national wording for the same sized formations, please use common sense [:)]).

I know that formations used are linked directly with the doctrines adopted by each nation but would like to avoid such a heavy topic in this thread, happy to discuss national doctrine differences etc in another thread if people want.

Rules:
1. Battlegroup/reinforced battalion for multitasking missions (i.e. balanced formation able to carry out 90% of mission types (engineering missions are included in the other 10%))
2. Ideally will have at least:
a. 1-2 Tank coy
b. 1-2 Infantry coy
c. 1 Arty battery
d. 1 Antitank platoon
e. 1 AD platoon
f. 1 Recon platoon
3. NO prototype kit!! ¡V it has to be available ingame without user modded files.
4. Heli-centric formations welcome
5. Fixed wing Aircraft are out of scope¡K(or other aircraft except helicopters ¡V see rule 4.)
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
WABAC

RE: Fantasy Battlegroup

Post by WABAC »

I would switch out the recon for a platoon of American engineers if this game did anything with engineers.

Probably a Soviet AA platoon.

Still cogitating on the rest of it.

BTW, Our navy's army would have its own air force's fixed wing assets available. [:)]
Tazak

Post by Tazak »

I'm toying with:

tank coy - leopard 2
tank coy - T80BV(m)
Inf coy - M2 Bradley
Inf coy - Warrior (infantry with LAW80)
M109 arty Battery
a platoon/flight of Mi24 Hind with AT6 as a mixed AT/Recon
AD platoon with 2S6
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

2 x Tank Co - M1A1 (HA)
2 x Mech Co - M2A1
1 x Combat Support Company:
1 x Combat Engineer Plt
1 x Scout Plt
1 x AD Plt (4 x SA-13)
1 x FA Battery (M109 series)

I like the US AFV's thermal imager sights.
Jeff
Sua Sponte

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”