Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A World on Fire

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> A World on Fire Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A World on Fire - 8/8/2014 8:18:19 PM   
Orm

After a long vacation from MWIF I am making another attempt at a Global War campaign and thought I would post its progress, or lack of progress here.

In order to get faster into the action I begin to show how I placed the French forces.

An added bonus with this is that you do not need to be bothered with looking at pictures with RN ships in ports all around the world. Who would care were they were placed anyway? And for those who know me will know where She is placed anyway.

As usual I feel that there is not enough land units for France.

Attachment (1)

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Post #: 1
RE: A World on Fire - 8/8/2014 8:51:00 PM   
Orm

Onwards to the German set up. Germany sets up its light cruiser force along with their U-boats in Kiel. A Corps and two divisions are also located in the Kiel area.

Attachment (1)

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2
RE: A World on Fire - 8/8/2014 9:03:38 PM   
Orm

And a picture of the light German forces in East Prussia along with the heavy German ships.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3
RE: A World on Fire - 8/8/2014 9:24:48 PM   
Orm

And a picture of Army Group von Leeb located in Silesia.

Edit: Replaced the picture to correctly show the set up. I had moved a LND3 from the West Front to Silesia while I was making the pictures and it didn't show on any picture. Now the pictures show the German set up correctly.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Orm -- 8/9/2014 8:06:59 AM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4
RE: A World on Fire - 8/8/2014 9:52:38 PM   
Orm

Army Group von Bock and Army Group Rundstedt is located along the Belgian and French border.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Orm -- 8/9/2014 8:02:55 AM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 5
RE: A World on Fire - 8/9/2014 6:14:47 AM   
Orm

Germany declares war on Poland. One US entry chit is drawn because of this.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 6
RE: A World on Fire - 8/9/2014 6:20:38 AM   
Orm

The optional rules used in this game.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 7
RE: A World on Fire - 8/9/2014 6:32:01 AM   
Orm

And a picture of the units scrapped during set up. As I often do I scrap a lot of units. And afterwards I wonder if I scrapped to much. I am especially doubtful whether it was wise to scrap the German mechanized Corps or not.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 8
RE: A World on Fire - 8/9/2014 7:54:44 AM   
Orm

Poland use a variant of a classical setup that peskpesk previously posted on the AI thread. I am to chicken to use a truly aggressive set up with Poland.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 9
RE: A World on Fire - 8/9/2014 8:17:11 AM   
Orm

Germany and Japan select a land impulse.

No port strikes.

Germany fly a naval bomber to the zero box in the Baltic Sea. No other naval air.

No naval movement. No strategic bombing.

Japan ground strike the two armies east of Changsha.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 10
RE: A World on Fire - 8/9/2014 9:02:37 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Poland use a variant of a classical setup that peskpesk previously posted on the AI thread. I am to chicken to use a truly aggressive set up with Poland.

warspite1

This is an interesting set up. I am curious as to how Germany plays this.

Temporary change of avatar in memory of Uncle warspite1; 4th Battalion, The Wiltshire Regiment, 43rd Wessex Division. Hero.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 11
RE: A World on Fire - 8/9/2014 11:26:19 AM   
Orm

Germany makes no ground strikes and the Japanese ground strikes were a complete waste of fuel.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 12
RE: A World on Fire - 8/9/2014 11:55:15 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Germany makes no ground strikes and the Japanese ground strikes were a complete waste of fuel.

warspite1

Yeah - everyone slaughtered me for ground striking with the useless Japanese bomber force - and rightly so!!

Temporary change of avatar in memory of Uncle warspite1; 4th Battalion, The Wiltshire Regiment, 43rd Wessex Division. Hero.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 13
RE: A World on Fire - 8/9/2014 12:04:27 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Yeah - everyone slaughtered me for ground striking with the useless Japanese bomber force - and rightly so!!

I usually use them for ground striking with no success. I must be an optimist because I continue to do so despite the lack of positive results.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 14
RE: A World on Fire - 8/9/2014 12:10:52 PM   
Orm

No rail movement.

The two Japanese marine Corps move from Tsushima to Pusan. Japan also moves a HQI, CAV and a MOT from Manchuria into China. The Army in central China concentrate on Changsha.

Germany declares three attacks but only the attack versus the division is automatic so far.

Picture from Sep/Oct 39 Impulse #1 (Axis) - Land Combat Declaration.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Orm -- 8/9/2014 1:13:00 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 15
RE: A World on Fire - 8/9/2014 12:49:45 PM   
Orm

Umezu looks at the odds for attacking the Chinese armies in the mountains by declaring an attack but do not like the odds 2,7-1 without any die roll modifiers so he decides to cancel the attack and sulk instead.

Germany launch all available bombers and half of the fighters on the Polish front in order to support the attacks. This makes the other two attacks automatic as well.

Oh! Bugger me! The game unexpectedly moved on to the Japanese ground support step. It turns out that the order to cancel the attack had not reached the troops. Curses! That is what you get when letting the local commanders get to much power. And I thought that I had to put my focus on the Kwantung Army so they didn't do anything that I would regret later on.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 16
RE: A World on Fire - 8/9/2014 12:53:34 PM   
Orm

The ground support for the Danzig attack.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 17
RE: A World on Fire - 8/9/2014 12:54:35 PM   
Orm

And the ground support for the Krakow attack.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 18
RE: A World on Fire - 8/9/2014 1:02:38 PM   
Orm

Picture from Sep/Oct 39 Impulse #1 (Axis) - Land Combat Resolution.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Orm -- 8/9/2014 2:03:12 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 19
RE: A World on Fire - 8/9/2014 1:24:23 PM   
Orm

The Polish destroyer flotilla is destroyed when the German troops enter Danzig and the convoy point escapes to Belfast.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 20
RE: A World on Fire - 8/9/2014 1:29:07 PM   
Orm

And the attack that I forgot to cancel was a disaster.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 21
RE: A World on Fire - 8/9/2014 6:04:23 PM   
Courtenay

quote:

And the attack that I forgot to cancel was a disaster.

If you make a mistake in a solitaire game, live with it. However, if the mistake is the result of a computer error, then I feel you are perfectly justified in going back to the autosave and fixing whatever the mistake was. Here you did not decide to make an attack, and it it turned out badly; you thought you weren't making the attack, but the computer thought differently. Show the machine who is boss. Go to the autosave for combat declaration and cancel the attack. (Make sure you then do the attacks you meant to do with the same die rolls as the first time, though.)

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 22
RE: A World on Fire - 8/9/2014 6:48:22 PM   
Braig

My thoughts exactly! And I've done so. My bad usually as it's easier to just let the program calculate for me so I've gotten used to declaring, and then cancelling, attacks

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 23
RE: A World on Fire - 8/9/2014 7:10:14 PM   
Orm

When I make a mistake like that I can go back with a clear conscience but the truth is that I was to lazy to do so. I also thought that I deserved to live with the attack so I could learn better from my mistake. But it was mostly that I was lazy.

(in reply to Braig)
Post #: 24
RE: A World on Fire - 8/20/2014 6:23:56 PM   
Orm

Umezu reorganizes three Armies after the disastrous attack.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 25
RE: A World on Fire - 8/20/2014 6:43:42 PM   
Orm

CW and France declare war on Germany and one US entry chit is removed. Of course it was the best chit.

CW, France and Germany calls out their reserves.

Germany placed a reserve garrison in Stettin in order to stop a possible advance from the Polish Pomorze Army.

Picture from Sep/Oct 39 Impulse #2 (Allied) - Call Out Reserves

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Orm -- 8/20/2014 7:45:25 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 26
RE: A World on Fire - 8/20/2014 8:10:52 PM   
Orm

CW selects a combined impulse. France does not like the number of German land units in the West so they decide to select a land impulse in order to reorganize some of the reserve units.

CW sends the Harrow to bomb the German fleet in Kiel and it resulted in two damaged ships.

Picture from Sep/Oct 39 Impulse #2 (Allied) - Port Attack

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Orm -- 8/20/2014 9:11:58 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 27
RE: A World on Fire - 8/20/2014 9:00:52 PM   
Orm

No naval air.

Nimitz is transported to Hawaii.

CW sail a battleship fleet along with three transporters and BEF to the North Sea.

No strategic bombing.

France ground strike von Bock (HQI). Germany fires with the AA against the bomber reducing its strength by one. This do not change the result and one LND2 (Stuka) is disorganized by the ground strike.

Picture from Sep/Oct 39 Impulse #2 (Allied) - Ground Strike

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Orm -- 8/20/2014 10:01:42 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 28
RE: A World on Fire - 8/20/2014 9:47:26 PM   
Orm

No rail movement.

Poland moves a 3-3 out of Lodz and the 4-4 into Lodz strengthening the Lodz defence by one.

Gort (HQI) debarks into Calais.

Poland rebase their air force to Warsaw.

Georges (HQI) reorganize three reserve corps.

Picture from Sep/Oct 39 Impulse #2 (Allied) - HQ Reorganization

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Orm -- 8/20/2014 10:48:46 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 29
RE: A World on Fire - 8/20/2014 10:16:07 PM   
Orm

New weather is a 5 which means rain in the arctic and the south part of China and fine weather everywhere else. Germany grumbles over the fine weather. Rain would have been preferable but since there is a tight timetable fine weather will not be an excuse for delay.

Germany declares war on Belgium! This cause one US entry chit to be picked. Belgium aligns to CW.

CW ponders on how to place the Belgian land units. This is my current idea on how to place the units. Maybe I can hammer out a better set up.

Picture from Sep/Oct 39 Impulse #3 (Axis) - DOW: Setup Attacked Minor

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Orm -- 8/20/2014 11:17:42 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> A World on Fire Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI