My impression of CO: BFTB & HTTR

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

VegasOZ

My impression of CO: BFTB & HTTR

Post by VegasOZ »

I passed on buying this game for over six months. I watched the videos and was not able to see the system's value. My impression was something along the lines of what do I do while the AI is moving my units and of course, can the AI be trusted to fight well.

Now I finally bought the game and the HTTR add on and I'm blown away by the game and the game mechanics and system.

Question: Any chance of getting Afrika Korps, France 1940 or better yet, Barbarossa battles?

I can just see Rommel with this game system. The Western Desert is PERFECT for the Command Ops system.
budd

RE: My impression of CO: BFTB & HTTR

Post by budd »

Welcome aboard ........ most people come around sooner rather than later. I'd also like to see north africa...of course the east front is fine with me also.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

There are various nth Africa battles to be included in the Med Pack (perhaps 4 scenarios and maps, iirc), which, as far as I'm aware, is due for release pretty soon (you will have to buy it - it's an add-on). France 1940 is, I think, the setting for the platoon level add-on that is in development. I think that's a long way off. No plans that I've seen to do Barbarossa (I would love some of that too). I believe the CO2 development is to be set around the Chir River battles later in the war. Best chance of getting excellent scenarios quickly (and for free, though I'd happily pay him for them) is to persuade Chris (CapnHillrat) at TheSharpEndGaming to do them. He has done some excellent EF scenarios and has 2 African scenarios almost finished. He might be persuaded to tackle Barbarossa. [:)]

There are others that also produce amazing free content - ubiquitous, most recently. But the Brabant Pack covering early war battles in Holland is fantastic, and The Woensdrecht Isthmus, covering a late battle in Holland is one of my favourite scenarios. The Epsom scenario is also fantastic - playing it again now. There have been others. Check out the mods section of this forum.
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Hi,

“There are various nth Africa battles to be included in the Med Pack (perhaps 4 scenarios and maps, iirc), which, as far as I'm aware, is due for release pretty soon (you will have to buy it - it's an add-on).”

Crikey... that is news to me.. that does sound good.

All the best,
Kip.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

'pretty soon'. I meant relative to other things, Kip. Don't get too excited. 'Pretty soon' with Command Ops can be an unpredictable, moveable feast, I think. But if Dave is still sticking to the original plan he published in here, more or less, then the Med Pack is next on the list, and comes before CO2. The Med Pack is basically those parts of COTA that were not included in BfG, plus some user-made scenarios, I think (including, in all that, at the very least the 2 Op Crusader scenarios that were in COTA).

Peter
ChrisMaiorana

Post by ChrisMaiorana »

Hi Vegas and Phoenix. Thanks for the kind words Phoenix! Is there a part of the Barbarossa campaign you are particularly interested in?

Ezra

Post by Ezra »

I would second the first posters comments. I must say that "Command Ops" is a brilliant game. I have a lengthy history and interest with operational wargames. Problem being is, I don`t have the luxury of time to play them all as much as I would like even though I have sampled most of them.

I chose to take advantage of the "Command Ops" sale and bought all of them(a good deal in my opinion). Typically I don`t have the time to play much because I am pursuing a (late)masters degree in Theological/Biblical studies. Having said this, I find "CO" a justifiable way of getting my nose out of the academic books every now and again when I feel burned out.

In addition, "CO" compliments my WWII book collection which I would say has always been one of my favourite pursuits.

Just my two cents: I would love to see some Canadian operations like operation Totalize, Ortona, etc. Anyway...

Thank You Panther Games (and Matrix) for all your support and hard work. You deserve it!

Ezra
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Anything would be welcome, Chris. [:)] How about platoons in Brest-Litovsk? That's what I've read the most about. But seriously - I eagerly await your Nth-African scenarios and the Cassino Station scenario AND the Lion route!!! All these wips - no need to start on anything else!
navwarcol

Post by navwarcol »

My impression of CO:BFTB& HTTR

"Hey, ve are ze Wehrmacht! RUN away or die!"

"Never! God save the Queen!"

"F*** the Queen, we are Americans... Remember the ALAMO!!"

"Wass ist dis 'Alamo'? Do you surrender?"

"Oh.. you are not Mexicans.... forget the Alamo... but we never surrender!!"

"Vee have you surrounded now, surrender, or die!"

"Nuts"

"where are deez nutz you talking about? You crazy Americans! Ze snow making you lose ze marbles..."

"Patton, HELP!"
"Already here"

"Oh mein gott!"
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

[:D]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

Welcome aboard,

The game mechanics are amazing and the community here is very good too.

I hope you enjoy many hours of gaming,

Mike
Mike

Retired Gunner
Major SNAFU_M

Post by Major SNAFU_M »

ORIGINAL: navwarcol

My impression of CO:BFTB& HTTR

"Hey, ve are ze Wehrmacht! RUN away or die!"

"Never! God save the Queen!"

"F*** the Queen, we are Americans... Remember the ALAMO!!"

"Wass ist dis 'Alamo'? Do you surrender?"

"Oh.. you are not Mexicans.... forget the Alamo... but we never surrender!!"

"Vee have you surrounded now, surrender, or die!"

"Nuts"

"where are deez nutz you talking about? You crazy Americans! Ze snow making you lose ze marbles..."

"Patton, HELP!"
"Already here"

"Oh mein gott!"

LMAO. Thank goodness I wasn't drinking when I read that; especially the last three entries.

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

"One ping to find them all,
One ping to link them;
One ping to promote them all,
and in the darkness sink them"
governato

Post by governato »

ORIGINAL: CapHillrat

Hi Vegas and Phoenix. Thanks for the kind words Phoenix! Is there a part of the Barbarossa campaign you are particularly interested in?

If I can chime in I'd suggest the tank battles of AGS in early Summer 41...:)

Return to “Command Ops Series”