Matrix Games Forums

Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New submarine superexploit discovered!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Pacific War: The Matrix Edition >> New submarine superexploit discovered! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New submarine superexploit discovered! - 7/27/2014 3:52:13 PM   
Istfemer

I have just discovered a wonderful bug/feature/exploit in v3.2 of Matrix Edition Pacific War!
Though this bug is probably much older than this version and might have been present in Gary Grigsby's original release.

I call it the Submarine Teleporter Trick.
Now, I knew that submarines were very useful in Pacific War, but this finding truly opens new horizons (er, depths?) for them.
---

So then, what do you do?

Step 1 - Put a sub group on patrol in the hex you want to teleport ships FROM. Get one fresh from the port or redeploy one of your groups already on patrol - it really doesn't matter.
Step 2 - Hit Alt-M, then hit Space and select the desired Task Force. Now you are at Task Force screen.
Step 3 - Click left mouse button once on a desired ship/ship stack. (small ship data screen pops up)
Click right mouse button once to clear it, then click it again to leave Task Force screen altogether.
Step 4 - Now at the bottom of the main game screen your chosen ship/ship stack name will be displayed instead of the usual name of a patrolling sub group.
You'll also see some weird (sometimes negative) Time and Attack numbers.
Step 5 - Use i,j,k,m and up,left,right,down buttons ONLY to navigate. Select the target port you control. Now hit R.

Voila! Your chosen ship/ship stack should materialize in the target port. Saratoga in Calcutta at turn 2? Not an impossibility anymore. Lexington and Enterprise in DEI? Really, why not?

You can now customize somewhat the Japanese starting ship positions during a non-historical turn.
You can select up to 6 hexes (the number of available Jap sub groups) from which to teleport ships.
Move that Kido Butai to Maloelap Island. Add CVLs and CVEs to it. Bombard Pearl with BBs and CAs. Run wild.
Allied player can also put some ships in ports of England and Eastern U.S and they will repair there, safe from Japanese aircraft.

This works ONLY on Task Forces (in port or at sea) and you can teleport ships ONLY to a friendly port. (isolated or not - does not matter)

Be careful not to left-click anywhere on the map after Step 4 (well, empty land hexes seem safe), or else your ship/ship stack will be forever lost in the void.
This is the only way to wind up with ships in "port" at non-sea bases, like in the middle of China. (BUT THEN those ships will become permanently unreachable and open to attack by LBA)
Teleportation does not respect flagship status, which means you can lift entire Task Forces stuck at sea.

< Message edited by Istfemer -- 7/27/2014 6:35:34 PM >
Post #: 1
There's more! - 7/27/2014 4:28:35 PM   
Istfemer

But wait, there's more!

You can also teleport APs loaded with LCUs and AVs loaded with aircraft squadrons! As well as supplies, fuel and other things.
Follow the procedure described above. The AP should materialize in target port, but it'll show up as empty. The base will also be empty.
Don't panic, just create a Transport TF with that AP. It will now appear loaded. Disband/unload it and LCU will finally arrive at the target base.
The same applies to ships carrying aircraft, fuel, supplies etc.
---

Play a "What If" scenario, where both Empire of Japan and Allied Powers developed teleportation technology in late 1941!

Make a landing at Pearl on 12/7/41. Evacuate Malaya and Philippines with few losses and little effort. Garrison Rangoon with 5 US Divisions.
Instantly transfer fuel from Palembang to your Jap HQ bases. Deny fuel to the Emperor. Supply Isolated Bases year round.
All of these become a possibility with the Submarine Teleporter Trick!

Update: Teleporting ships in this manner completely drains them of their fuel. So keep that in mind.

*If you are wondering, this bug was discovered during my futile attempts to get sub groups into TFs.

< Message edited by Istfemer -- 9/15/2014 10:38:34 PM >

(in reply to Istfemer)
Post #: 2
RE: There's more! - 9/14/2014 8:55:10 PM   
bradk

Wow

(in reply to Istfemer)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Pacific War: The Matrix Edition >> New submarine superexploit discovered! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI