Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[Canceled] Ultimate Research Mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Design and Modding >> [Canceled] Ultimate Research Mod Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[Canceled] Ultimate Research Mod - 7/20/2014 1:28:41 PM   
Unforeseen

This mod will be a pretty big overhaul of Distant Worlds Research.

It will utilize what we've learned from the now abandoned Balance Mod by Locarnus, and various other mods and concepts from around the forums to create a completely new experience for Distant Worlds.

I've placed this project on my priorities list after Completing other projects such as Expanded Weapons FX and updating DWOM. In the mean time: If you have any ideas or suggestions at all, I want to hear them. This is a pretty big project and assistance from the community will be greatly appreciated!!

As always my Mods are intended to be integrated into my Distant Worlds Overhaul Mod which can be found in my signature.

< Message edited by Unforeseen -- 7/21/2014 7:16:43 PM >

Signature not required.
Post #: 1
RE: Ultimate Research Mod - 7/20/2014 2:18:54 PM   
ParagonExile

Make sure you buff the "second-class" weapons like gravatics, missiles and railguns. They need some love.

Maybe increase the effectiveness of racial technologies, and make each race have a substantially different tree.

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 2
RE: Ultimate Research Mod - 7/20/2014 2:36:53 PM   
Unforeseen

I am planning to utilize AI Improvement Mod or use it as a basis to create something of that nature.

One thing i wanted to bring up before i head to work is that if anything i'd like to create some sort of a laser specialized branch. I don't know how well it would work but it's a thought. Basically you already have the pulse blaster leading off into a tree, you would then also have a "laser cannon" on the same level and it would lead off into other weapons such as the shatterforce laser. Effectively separating Light based weaponry from Particle weapons. Both branches would have their own planet destroyer at the end of the tree. I am just unsure of how to balance this, and i may need alot of help with this.

I'm creating this mod more of as a community project rather than a personal one. What i'm going to do is propose what i want to do, take suggestions and ask you, the community to help me with the fine tuning so that we can get everything working the way WE as a community want it.

Signature not required.

(in reply to ParagonExile)
Post #: 3
RE: Ultimate Research Mod - 7/20/2014 3:40:06 PM   
Icemania

I recommend we form a Modding Team as there are too many "bits and pieces" Mods that are mutually incompatible.

We should aim for one Mega Mod that brings all the pieces together.

I would be happy to focus on the AI Improvement Component of whatever is developed as part of that team.

There are many individuals here that I suggest you reach out to join the effort ...

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 4
RE: Ultimate Research Mod - 7/20/2014 3:51:42 PM   
lurchi

Now why do you want to start yet another research mod, Unforeseen?

< Message edited by lurchi -- 7/20/2014 4:52:21 PM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 5
RE: Ultimate Research Mod - 7/20/2014 3:57:44 PM   
Icemania

Work together. And don't add stuff for the sake of it ... only if it adds something material and tangible to the game experience or strategy.

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 6
RE: Ultimate Research Mod - 7/20/2014 3:59:35 PM   
lurchi

I'm open for feedback, that's why I ask.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 7
RE: Ultimate Research Mod - 7/20/2014 4:40:21 PM   
Blackstork

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icemania

I recommend we form a Modding Team as there are too many "bits and pieces" Mods that are mutually incompatible.

We should aim for one Mega Mod that brings all the pieces together.

I would be happy to focus on the AI Improvement Component of whatever is developed as part of that team.

There are many individuals here that I suggest you reach out to join the effort ...

i agree on this point of view
we should actually aim on one megamod
and making all submods compatible with other major ones
and combine efforts in one field with testing and discussion

< Message edited by Blackstork -- 7/20/2014 5:40:38 PM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 8
RE: Ultimate Research Mod - 7/20/2014 6:09:37 PM   
ParagonExile

YES

GLORIOUS MEGAMOD

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 9
RE: Ultimate Research Mod - 7/20/2014 6:15:59 PM   
lurchi

Megamod sounds cool.

(in reply to ParagonExile)
Post #: 10
RE: Ultimate Research Mod - 7/21/2014 3:13:13 AM   
Unforeseen

Lurchi - My focus was to be immediately compatible with extended and follow along the trend that Locarnus had set. Since your first version is meant to be for vanilla i thought I'd start up a separate project. Then it hit me that the whole community could work together as Icemania suggested.

Some ideas I'd like to put out other than balancing out the already existing weapons:

~The already mentioned Laser tree including the basic Laser Cannon.
~A Plasma Cannon.
~A Coilgun to provide options in the projectile weapon area rather than having no choice but to go for Railguns.
~Alternate versions of weapons...like for instance we take the phaser cannon and have two different kinds..a Pulsed version and a focused beam version. The Beam would probably do more damage at the cost of increased power usage, while the pulsed version would do less damage but cost less power. We could potentially do this for most of the energy/laser weapons in the game if there is space for them.
~Disruptors (The startrek side of the community would love this)

Signature not required.

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 11
RE: Ultimate Research Mod - 7/21/2014 3:40:55 AM   
danymatrix

Unforeseen, I love the idea that directly support extended since the vast majority use this mod for Variety of races and others. The mod Lurchi also greatly improved in its version 0.3.

As IceMania said would be much more productive if they worked for the extended version with lokarnus base, and the tree of Lurchi and new ideas Unforeseen. be great friends!

< Message edited by danymatrix -- 7/21/2014 4:46:29 AM >

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 12
RE: Ultimate Research Mod - 7/21/2014 11:00:54 AM   
lurchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

Lurchi - My focus was to be immediately compatible with extended and follow along the trend that Locarnus had set.

[..]

I have good news for you. Take a look in the Research Extended thread.

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 13
RE: Ultimate Research Mod - 7/21/2014 6:16:28 PM   
Unforeseen

In light of developments made on Lurchi's mod i am canceling this project. Anyone who was interested in this project should go here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3658567

Signature not required.

(in reply to lurchi)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Design and Modding >> [Canceled] Ultimate Research Mod Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI