Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers required
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

automatic tank downgrading!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> War In Russia: The Matrix Edition >> automatic tank downgrading! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
automatic tank downgrading! - 2/15/2003 6:57:04 PM   
rmjames

why does the pc change the tanks of armoured units to lesser tanks.......ie i have over 2000 kv 1e's in my pool the tank division has only kv's in it (wir 3.3) instead it "upgrades" them to valentines or t34's which are lesser tanks.....my options are all set to human...also happens when units are reformed...should the code upgrade to the best tanks available....?:confused: so to keep my tank armies kv pure i have to manually change it back thereby losing experiance and readiness.....
Post #: 1
- 2/15/2003 9:52:41 PM   
RickyB

Don't know why. It may be that removing upgrade restrictions by type broke this part, but even then on human control it shouldn't happen (except the reconstituting part makes sense I think).

If you could send me your file, I will take a look and see what I can find. Send to [email]rbancroft@att.net[/email].

Rick Bancroft
Semper Fi

(in reply to rmjames)
Post #: 2
- 2/16/2003 1:19:18 AM   
rmjames

i have seen this happen on all versions of wir

(in reply to rmjames)
Post #: 3
- 2/16/2003 7:37:42 AM   
Denniss

Some kind of hardcoded "upgrade"
Russian tank units get standard T34 instead of other types and the germans get Panthers in their Panzer Bn instead of Tigers or PZ-IV

Easily to see with German SS units as they are the first to get these "upgrades" - try a 44 game and set a LAH bn to Pz-IV or Tiger and some turns later they will be "reformed" with Panthers

(in reply to rmjames)
Post #: 4
- 2/16/2003 4:48:41 PM   
rmjames

that seems to explain what is happening......but why "upgrade" to valentines and to t34 40 ,instead of t34 43's ,which are lesser tanks.....i think this needs to be looked at or removed as the player should get the choice what his units are equiped with..i have never really noticed this happening in the german side but upgrading to a better tank (panther)would not be a problem unlike upgrading to a lesser tank......

(in reply to rmjames)
Post #: 5
- 2/16/2003 8:48:50 PM   
Grisha

rmjames,

This could be based on historical precedent, since the KVs were looked upon as increasingly inadequate by the Red Army as the war progressed. Sure, they had good armor and a decent gun in 1941 and maybe even 1942, but they were slow and prone to transmission problems. That they destroyed their share of bridges while crossing didn't help matters either. When the PzIV began getting the long 75mm gun, the KV was only a negligible improvement armor-wise over the T-34, while retaining all the aforementioned disadvantages.

On the other hand, the Valentine was one of the few lend lease vehicles that was specially requested by the Soviet Union. As a light tank, it was better than a T-70, and as the war progressed, its upgraded gun proved capable for its role. The Red Army was requesting, and receiving, Valentines into 1944.

(in reply to rmjames)
Post #: 6
- 2/17/2003 1:52:46 AM   
rmjames

there's an answer i am very happy with.....i will mass produce t34's instead of kv's thank you

(in reply to rmjames)
Post #: 7
- 2/17/2003 5:26:28 AM   
Possum

exactly which units are having their KV's swapped for Valentines.
If it is called a Brigade, then that is supplsed to happen.
(Program is hardcoded to ensure that all Tank Brigades are equipped with Medium tanks. and all Tank Regiments are equipped with Heavy Tanks.
If it finds a Tank Brigade using Heavy Tanks, it will swap them for the currently most avaliable/most leased used Medium tank.

"We're having a war, and we want you to come!"
So the pig began to whistle and to pound on a drum.
"We'll give you a gun, and we'll give you a hat!"
And the pig began to whistle when they told the piggies that.

(in reply to rmjames)
Post #: 8
- 2/18/2003 4:51:43 AM   
rmjames

just checked and it would appear that you are correct as it is the tank brigades not the regiments that are been changed to t34's

(in reply to rmjames)
Post #: 9
- 2/18/2003 5:11:29 AM   
RickyB

Thanks for figuring that out, Possum. I will run it by Arnaud to see if he wants to remove the change now that players can make changes more easily.

Rick Bancroft
Semper Fi

(in reply to rmjames)
Post #: 10
- 2/18/2003 5:36:29 AM   
Denniss

I hope it's possible to remove this hardcoded up/downgrade

I'm using some SS and other Panzer Divisions in France or Italy usually equipped with the oldest tanks i could find(or Italian tanks) and it's not nice this hardcoded upgrade throws in the newest tanks it could find

BTW give Arnaud a hint the Ju87D is not selectable for production and changing a factory accidentally to italian tanks/planes give you no chance to revert back to german equipment

(in reply to rmjames)
Post #: 11
Options set to human? - 2/18/2003 10:20:55 PM   
dtx

"my options are all set to human...also happens when units are reformed."

Could someone tell me how to "set options to human"? (I didn't realize this was an option).

(in reply to rmjames)
Post #: 12
Human Upgrades - 2/19/2003 12:57:57 AM   
techex

Only available in ver3.3

Factory and Equipment Upgrades noew have separate controls under the UTIL menu

(in reply to rmjames)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> War In Russia: The Matrix Edition >> automatic tank downgrading! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI