Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!A little bit of history with To End All WarsBattle Academy 2 gets a release date!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

IJA 5th Artillery Command (and more)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> IJA 5th Artillery Command (and more) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
IJA 5th Artillery Command (and more) - 7/15/2014 6:40:44 AM   
el cid again

While doing some geographic research, I discovered information on Japanese artillery organization on Okinawa.
This is stated to be "the first time in the Pacific War that artillery was under a unified command."
This is incorrect - the first time was at Bataan, when the First Artillery Command, under Maj Gen Keno Kitajima,
was effectively employed to break the back of the defenses. This force had approximately

4 30 cm Howitzer (Long)
8 24 Type 45 Howitzers
16 Type 10 cm Type 92 guns
48 Type 96 15 cm Howitzers
36 Type 95 Field Guns

On Okinawa, the Fifth Artillery command, under Maj Gen Wata Kojo, had approximately

24 32 cm Type 98 Spigot Mortars
8 24 cm Type 45 Howitzers
12 15 cm Type 89 Guns
52 15 cm Type 95 Howitzers
72 75 mm Type 95 Field Guns
33 naval guns - estimated to be
5 20 cm Type 41 CD Guns
14 14 cm Type 3 CD Guns
14 12 cm Type 3 CD Guns
as well as 70 Type 4 20 cm Rockets

In spite of the impression, gained from operational experience, that Japanese
artillery was always attached to infantry formations and never used remote
fire direction centers, this is incorrect. In fact, the IJA arguably had the finest
coast defense forts in the world (on Iki and Tsushima Islands and at Pusan, Korea).
Otherwise, IJA artillery not attached to units was all controlled by a single Artillery
Group. De facto, this amounted to an artillery division. In 1941 it was controlled
by three commands, one attached to 2nd Army, another to 3rd Army, and one
under direct command of Kwangtung Army. All were planned for an offensive
move into Amur Province North of Vladivostok. It was Kwangtung Army's command
which was sent to Luzon when the enemy did not surrender quickly as expected.
In IJA parlance, a "command" is a proper name, and more or less equates to
an artillery brigade. It is composed of battalions and regiments.

Apparently artillery in the Artillery Group could have its own number sequence.
IJA had several different ways to identify artillery units - names, a field artillery
sequence, anartillery group sequence, a horse artillery sequence. For example,
the 23rd Division's artillery regiment was the "13th Field Artillery of the Artillery
Group, and the 24th Division's artillery regiment was the "42nd Field Artillery of the
Artillery Group"Names might apply to a single unit, or to a group formed by a static
training division, in which case there was also a separate number sequence for regiments
formed at that location. [If it is Japanese, it is usually complicated!]

< Message edited by el cid again -- 7/15/2014 7:42:52 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: IJA 5th Artillery Command (and more) - 7/15/2014 8:27:19 PM   
Symon

Bullshit. Kitajima Kineo's 1st Arty HQ was a simple collective HQ for Arty Bns (Sep) brought over from elsewhere.. It had a MG and 22 other officers. It did not include indigenous arty from Divs, Regts, or any other separate arty Bn assigned to 14th Army. It didn't even have the equivalent of a single Bty-D staff.

5th Artillery command was way functionally different. Even so, it only had 1st and 23rd Med, and 7th and 100th Hvy Arty and a mox of mortars. Army Arty was under connand, e.g., 42nd FA Regt, 44th IMB FA Regt, etc..

Yes. The first functional unified IJ artillery command in the Pac Theater.

[edit]I understand that your premise is that Japanese in not translatable, and that you and only you can do so. Butt.. over 70% of Senshi Sosho has been translated and resides in various University libraries, both here and elsewhere. A few of them are on the Internet, but most are not. Maybe that is why you dismiss any issues with your vaporings; because one can’t find the truth on the Internet.

You try hard, but your conclusions are non-sequitor. Think you might want to talk with some of the AE OOB people.

< Message edited by Symon -- 7/16/2014 7:23:05 PM >

Yippy Ki Yay

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> IJA 5th Artillery Command (and more) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI