Matrix Games Forums

A new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> questions Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
questions - 7/11/2014 3:28:44 PM   
**budd**

anything i can do to to have a clear font. the font is blurry and unreadable in my orders menu, i have to use the mouse overs to tell what something is.

Why such a small move limit when trying to move under defend orders? I have an HQ in a building and a sub unit that lagged back that i want to bring up to the HQ but the length of the move suborder is real short under the defend order. To change the main order i would have to unmount the HQ from the building change to engage or an order with a longer mover radius and then remount the HQ in the building where i want them. I cant change the order without unmounting the HQ.

I am also having problems targeting. On that Stalingrad map there's that HMG in the top of that tower and i have a infantry unit able to see them but cant get the tanks[who dont see the HMG, but have a los to the tower]to shoot the damn thing, the red box doesn't come up. Am i able to target the top of that tower?

regarding the Stalingrad scenario. Turn 11 still haven't crossed the tracks, everyone is about in position to make the move forward i may have been to slow off the jump.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Post #: 1
RE: questions - 7/11/2014 4:27:40 PM   
Mobius

quote:

ORIGINAL: **budd**
Why such a small move limit when trying to move under defend orders? I have an HQ in a building and a sub unit that lagged back that i want to bring up to the HQ but the length of the move suborder is real short under the defend order. To change the main order i would have to unmount the HQ from the building change to engage or an order with a longer mover radius and then remount the HQ in the building where i want them. I cant change the order without unmounting the HQ.
You can use the Engage order. Engage hold for the HQ. Then Engage move for the lagging guy.

quote:

I am also having problems targeting. On that Stalingrad map there's that HMG in the top of that tower and i have a infantry unit able to see them but cant get the tanks[who dont see the HMG, but have a los to the tower]to shoot the damn thing, the red box doesn't come up. Am i able to target the top of that tower?

You might have to be unbuttoned for the tanks to see the guy in the tower. To target guys hiding in buildings try to lock target to their icon. Tanks can area fire on the ground of the tower might also attack everyone in the tower. It's not that effective. I don't know how high area fire extends.

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 2
RE: questions - 7/11/2014 4:57:38 PM   
Rick

quote:

anything i can do to to have a clear font. the font is blurry and unreadable in my orders menu, i have to use the mouse overs to tell what something is.

budd, can you check your configuration settings and make sure you are set to 32bit? Also check that your screen resolution matches your monitor's native resolution.

I think Mobius has replied to the other items in your post.

Thanks!
Rick

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 3
RE: questions - 7/11/2014 5:12:42 PM   
**budd**

so its by design that the move order for defend is so short? I still think i have to unmount to change the main order, but i'll double check. Anyway to adjust the indirect fire targets, are they always on a diagonal instead of a line when there off map?

Been awhile since i played, thx for your patience answering the questions.

I've restarted the scenario, by the time i dropped smoke on the first try it was way late. I just starting crossing the tracks on turn 12 after clearing alot of the enemy from the big buildings across the tracks, then stalins organ hit me for 2 turns...ouch....quite alot of casualties.

I forgot how fun this game is.i'm on vacation with the family for 8 days starting tomorrow, so if i have any energy after the daytime fun i'll be getting deep into PCO.

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 4
RE: questions - 7/11/2014 5:41:53 PM   
Mobius

quote:

so its by design that the move order for defend is so short? I still think i have to unmount to change the main order, but i'll double check.
Yeah, Defend is meant to defend a piece of ground from where the units are. It does allow some units to move to get them in a little better position.
BTW, you don't want to Rush move the HQ to get the lagging unit moving to join the others because as Rushing it becomes easier to be seen. Even if Rushing while mounted in a house it nullifies their hiding ability while in the house.

quote:

Anyway to adjust the indirect fire targets, are they always on a diagonal instead of a line when there off map?
That is one of the bugs Rick is trying to address. When open sheaf it should be lined up perpendicular to the line-of-fire. As it is it is anybody’s guess how its going to line up. It is somehow connected to quadrant of the map it lands on.

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 5
RE: questions - 7/11/2014 6:16:06 PM   
**budd**

i play on a laptop. The config settings match my computer settings. I did switch to 16 bit before to check performance difference. Switching back to 32 bit fixed the screenshot issue....thx.
would turning off clear type fonts do anything?

it not a real big deal, just annoying. The more i play the more it seems to me that with some love this game could be REAL GOOD.

here's what i see.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 6
RE: questions - 7/11/2014 10:58:06 PM   
Rick

quote:

i play on a laptop. The config settings match my computer settings. I did switch to 16 bit before to check performance difference. Switching back to 32 bit fixed the screenshot issue....thx.
would turning off clear type fonts do anything?

it not a real big deal, just annoying. The more i play the more it seems to me that with some love this game could be REAL GOOD.

here's what i see.

Yeah, I see what you mean. It shouldn't look that fuzzy. I run it on a Win 7 laptop and with 1366x768 resolution and it's pretty clear.

Rick

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 7
RE: questions - 7/19/2014 3:49:50 AM   
**budd**

new question

in the top shot i highlighted the Command unit who is under advance orders and you can see the movement path. The bottom shot is a unit under its command and the order options available, you can see both units under its command in the shot. Why are they showing "defend not moving" and the only options for both units is mount, LOS, path direct no other choices available. Nobody is shooting at them, there not suppressed currently and i see no message that they were suppressed during the turn. Why the limited choices in the orders menu?
Correction- the middle unit was suppressed during the turn and then was not suppressed per the message log.same question.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by **budd** -- 7/19/2014 4:53:14 AM >

(in reply to Rick)
Post #: 8
RE: questions - 7/19/2014 7:06:01 AM   
Rick

I'm not certain, but it may be a couple of things:

1. It had reached it's destination under an Advance Order - in which case it would revert to a Defend order in order. Though since the HQ unit has an Advance order, you should be able to issue an advance order to the sub units.

2. It may have 'lost' it's orders when it was suppressed and reverted to Defend stay when it recovered.

But in either case it seems like you should have been able to give an Advance order to the unit.

If you still have a save can you try using the 'A' hotkey to see if that allows you to issue an Advance destination?

Thanks
Rick

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 9
RE: questions - 7/19/2014 4:46:10 PM   
**budd**

hope you don't mind the questions.

Couple more

indirect fire, do i have to use it all on one target? I'm targeting the russian AT gun and i have 5 81 mm mortars targeting it, can't i have say 3 hit one target and 2 hit another target?

Is there a key to toggle smoke? i don't see it on the hotkey list.

7 minutes in and i have reached the line of buildings before the railroad tracks. Plan is too finish off the damn sniper and hit the spots in the buildings im facing that are putting fire on me and then advancing, i'm still bringing my reinforcement troops up to the line. .....we'll see....I just got hit with 120 mm mortar barrage, quite few suppressed troops.

(in reply to Rick)
Post #: 10
RE: questions - 7/19/2014 8:23:14 PM   
Rick

quote:

hope you don't mind the questions.

Couple more

indirect fire, do i have to use it all on one target? I'm targeting the russian AT gun and i have 5 81 mm mortars targeting it, can't i have say 3 hit one target and 2 hit another target?

Indirect fire from a single offboard unit can't be split. You can fire closed shef and all tubes (mortars in this case) will fire to one location, or you can fire Open shef in which each tube will fire to a target area offset from the primary target by the width of the shef. If the scenario designer wants you to be able to target separate targets with each mortar, he would need to create 5 different mortar units, each with one mortar. (or you can modify the scenario yourself in the scenario editor and do that.

quote:

Is there a key to toggle smoke? i don't see it on the hotkey list.

I thought there was, but I don't see the key either, so maybe there isn't.

Good luck with assault and no problem at all with asking questions!

Thanks
Rick

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 11
RE: questions - 7/20/2014 1:25:09 AM   
**budd**

question

is there a way to pick how you dismount a building, in this case a train car. I went in one side and want to come the other side and continue on to a building but when i dismount the car it puts me behind the car and paths me the long way around all the cars, which is a long ways and will take some time i don't have. The dismount thing it would be alright if you could pick the direction you came out of said structure.

Nice touch including how many troops a structure can hold...nice. there's alot to like about the UI also. If i had a request for the UI it would be different icons for different troops instead of just foot and armor....you know an icon for mortars, at troops, flamethrowers [i'm trying to get these guys into the fray.....do they shoot flame?.....i gotta see that] ect.ect. i select troops a great deal of time with the icons. Does the stamina ever go down? i haven't been paying strict attention but i checked a few times after rushing and the stamina was still 100%

(in reply to Rick)
Post #: 12
RE: questions - 7/20/2014 1:54:40 AM   
Mobius

quote:

is there a way to pick how you dismount a building, in this case a train car. I went in one side and want to come the other side and continue on to a building but when i dismount the car it puts me behind the car and paths me the long way around all the cars, which is a long ways and will take some time i don't have. The dismount thing it would be alright if you could pick the direction you came out of said structure.
No. I wish there was a better way to dismount but without limiting the number of times you can do this in the orders phase it would allow units to hop from house to house in zero time.

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 13
RE: questions - 7/20/2014 2:12:45 AM   
Mobius

**budd** you screen seems to be set extra wide. Is there a setting you can use that is more square?

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 14
RE: questions - 7/20/2014 3:52:13 AM   
**budd**

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mobius

**budd** you screen seems to be set extra wide. Is there a setting you can use that is more square?

i use 1366x768 .....why set it lower? i can go 1280x768 or 1024x768 those are the most square resolutions available to me. If it improves anything i can set a profile PCO.

well i snatched a minor defeat out of the jaws of a minor victory. The railcar thing cost me time for sure, but i took to long clearing the front buildings and was too careful all the way. One strange thing happened, one of my tanks got knocked out and all 5 retreated for 3 turns. Only 2 were under fire and the other 3 were a bit away.Nice scenario....3rd time's a charm

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 15
RE: questions - 7/20/2014 4:04:50 PM   
Rick

quote:

question

Seems a number of folks would like to see this feature added. It won't be added in the patch, but if we are able to do an expansion mod, we will look at this and see what can be done. Probably with some limits to avoid being able to move for free.

quote:

Nice touch including how many troops a structure can hold...nice. there's alot to like about the UI also. If i had a request for the UI it would be different icons for different troops instead of just foot and armor....you know an icon for mortars, at troops, flamethrowers [i'm trying to get these guys into the fray.....do they shoot flame?.....i gotta see that] ect.ect. i select troops a great deal of time with the icons. Does the stamina ever go down? i haven't been paying strict attention but i checked a few times after rushing and the stamina was still 100%

different icons are a good idea, though I'm not sure what it would take to implement.

Oh, flamethrowers -- they definitely shoot fire. Try the scenario Novyy Rizadey.

Thanks
Rick

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 16
RE: questions - 7/20/2014 4:48:00 PM   
Mobius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rick
quote:

question

Seems a number of folks would like to see this feature added. It won't be added in the patch, but if we are able to do an expansion mod, we will look at this and see what can be done. Probably with some limits to avoid being able to move for free.

Maybe something in the orders like is done with the pink rubberband. There the units auto-mount at the end of movement. You would issue the orders to move somewhere and the dismount comes during movement, not in the orders phase.

< Message edited by Mobius -- 7/20/2014 5:48:33 PM >

(in reply to Rick)
Post #: 17
RE: questions - 7/20/2014 6:20:36 PM   
Rick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mobius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rick
quote:

question

Maybe something in the orders like is done with the pink rubberband. There the units auto-mount at the end of movement. You would issue the orders to move somewhere and the dismount comes during movement, not in the orders phase.

Yeah, something like that would work.

Thanks
Rick

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 18
RE: questions - 7/20/2014 8:13:53 PM   
**budd**

thought i would just post this here rather than start a new thread.

This is the second time this has come up and i can't believe this is working as intended.

the stug in red gets knocked out from a shot from the right edge of the map[arrow]. The AT gun cant see the other stug's [in yellow] yet they all immediately retreat, there under no threat...this cant be right.The last time they were under retreat for 3 turns. Like i said this is the second time, the last time it was the tanks not the stugs.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rick)
Post #: 19
RE: questions - 7/20/2014 9:14:58 PM   
Mobius

Yes, the unit as a whole retreats when the group morale fails. They don't have to see the enemy to know they are right ahead. They do know where safety is so the back toward that.

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 20
RE: questions - 7/20/2014 10:01:16 PM   
**budd**

Well dammit that cost me a marginal victory at least... had 2 flags the third was contested and was soon to be mine when those stug's took off.I pushed real hard this time, i might of got to contest the 4th flag...maybe....but no way i would have took it. I was so pissed that i read the morale part of the manual.. I kinda like the way its implemented with group and individual morale checks, just bit me in the ass this time.Anyway to know what the units current morale state is or is it under the hood..... which is fine with me.Tough scenario nut to crack...not sure what i could of done differently ..i smoked my approach, used rush alot behind the smoke to cover ground and get into the main building as quick as i could to get eyes on the units behind and drop off board arty on them. One thing that hurt me was losing my AT troops...all of them.. was trying to push them into the building to get some shots on the t-34 behind it...they all got mg'd to death. Once the stugs ran everything on the right was dead, tried to push harder on the left but ran out of time. Did other people find it difficult....especially getting that 4th flag. HMMMM..maybe i should of took everything around the left, more room to move...... should of known it was not going to go well when my own stuka took out 1 stug on turn 3....fuc**ng luftwaffe.

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 21
RE: questions - 7/20/2014 10:40:50 PM   
**budd**

I could some advice with the on map mortars. Seems you have to have LOS for them to shoot, since there indirect fire weapons cant they be called in by a spotter like off board? I didn't really use them much in the scenario. Tried to find a good LOS position but there fragile and if they can see they can be seen......any advice.

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 22
RE: questions - 7/20/2014 10:44:29 PM   
Rick

Mobius has a way of creating scenarios that are tough to win (well at least tough for me to win).

But I enjoy them anyway.

And the buildings he makes are great. You can find some pictures of the actual rail yards and you will be amazed at how close his map is.

Thanks
Rick

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 23
RE: questions - 7/20/2014 10:56:10 PM   
Mobius

quote:

I could some advice with the on map mortars. Seems you have to have LOS for them to shoot, since there indirect fire weapons cant they be called in by a spotter like off board? I didn't really use them much in the scenario. Tried to find a good LOS position but there fragile and if they can see they can be seen......any advice.

In the scenario you have six 81mm off map mortars. Use them for smoke or to soften up the Russians in the RR station with HE. I usually cancel smoke the first phase it arrives because smoke on top of smoke is no real benefit and it save the limited smoke rounds for later. You have to have LOS from a HQ unit with a green dot i.e. radio contact.

If you want to try a shoot'm up try Kolomak or Ferdinand's Fury.

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 24
RE: questions - 7/21/2014 1:32:27 AM   
**budd**

i'm talking about the 50mm on map mortars. They need LOS..correct.... i find it hard to find a spot in range where they won't get killed and be useful. You can't use a spotter with the on map arty..right.

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 25
RE: questions - 7/21/2014 1:36:48 AM   
Rick

quote:

i'm talking about the 50mm on map mortars. They need LOS..correct.... i find it hard to find a spot in range where they won't get killed and be useful. You can't use a spotter with the on map arty..right.

At one time I thought they could be used as indirect fire weapons. It seems like they ought to be able to fire as indirect fire weapons.

Thanks
Rick

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 26
RE: questions - 7/21/2014 4:03:42 AM   
Mobius

quote:

Right, they are just like long range grenades. They have to be fired at what they can see. They move with the infantry. There's no way they are going to be reading a map and trying to determine range and angle to some other place when they don't have their own position well fixed.

[Edit]Actually, this unit behaves slightly different than other units. If the HQ mortar team can see a point it can direct Area fire on that point using Engage orders. Subunit teams will area fire at the same point even if they do not have sight of the point.

< Message edited by Mobius -- 7/21/2014 12:52:01 PM >

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 27
RE: questions - 7/21/2014 11:19:03 PM   
**budd**

nice to know....'im starting another of your battles soon......Battle for Voln. I'm setup and ready to launch.....any pointers

Decided to play battles by year.....41 is on tap.

< Message edited by **budd** -- 7/22/2014 12:20:10 AM >

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 28
RE: questions - 7/21/2014 11:57:25 PM   
Mobius

quote:

nice to know....'im starting another of your battles soon......Battle for Voln. I'm setup and ready to launch.....any pointers
Voin is the biggest battles of the Mcensk campaign. Maybe you could do that campaign as it builds to the later battles.

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 29
RE: questions - 7/22/2014 12:57:09 AM   
**budd**

sounds good...question[i looked in the manual...no luck] Do any left over points on the campaign buy screen carry over to the next battle for refit or something or just spend them all.

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> questions Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI