Best game concerning the American Revolution

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Fallschirmjager

Best game concerning the American Revolution

Post by Fallschirmjager »

I have recently been playing Empire Total War and the American Revolution campaign and I have really enjoyed it. I am have been looking for something more in depth. Especially something concerning supply, foreign aid and naval combat.
I would not even be all that adverse if the game had abstracted battles.

If the game covered the French and Indian War and War of 1812 that would be even better. Or I would take suggestions concerning these games too.
vonRocko

RE: Best game concerning the American Revolution

Post by vonRocko »

Well for me, without a doubt,Ageods Wars in America. You got the French and indian war with it also. Plenty of other campaigns and scenerios with it, and a decent AI.
Fallschirmjager

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

Well for me, without a doubt,Ageods Wars in America. You got the French and indian war with it also. Plenty of other campaigns and scenerios with it, and a decent AI.

What is Birth of America 2 and how does it differ?
rwenstrup

Post by rwenstrup »

Agree...the Wars in America fits your description well...except for the naval battles...for that Age of Sail or Privateer's Bounty Age of Sail 2 would be best.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

What is Birth of America 2 and how does it differ?

That's the same game. I guess the full title is Birth of America 2: Wars in America.
Fallschirmjager

Thanks, for $15 I just made a purchase.
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

Enjoy. That is a good price. I think it is their second best game.(the original Ageod civil war is #1 for me)
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

BOA2 is one of my favorite games. There are many scenarios, but my favorite is "A Few Acres of Snow", which is the entire French & Indian War (1755-1763). I always play as the British-Colonial Americans. The game system takes a while to get used to, but keep at it. Make sure you join the AGEOD forum, which offers you much help in navigating the various menus.
Fallschirmjager

I wish a developer would tackle a good Age of Sail game from about 1750 to 1825 with a full on career mode and campaign mode.
The career mode would be starting as a post captain in charge of a small sloop and you would progress by completing patrols, taking prizes, and participating in fleet actions. Eventually you would rise in rank and get a brig, corvette, frigate and then ships of the line before finally making it to Admiral where you get your own squadron and eventually a fleet.

Battleground Napoleon from Matrix and John Tiller has something like this but it is hopelessly outdated by now and while fun is not as in depth as I would like.
It also has the old hit point system for ships which I hate and ships are rated by total number of guns instead of individual gun weights.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

The Commodore 64 version "Sons of Liberty" was pretty good too. I think there was a PC version that you can use DosBox to play it. Real easy to setup. Not as much detail as Ageod's version but more graphical. It was made during the time of Battles of Napoleon engine.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

BOA/BOA2 and For Liberty are both great strategy games about the Revolutionary War with a very different style. BOA2 is the most comprehensive - For Liberty probably the fastest to play through, the original BOA is in between. John Tiller's Campaign 1776 is also great for fighting out the individual battles.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

BOA2 is by far the best of the newer crop of games on this topic. Played a hell of a lot of it back in the day.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
1NWCG

Post by 1NWCG »

Not to grave dig a bit, first time logging in for quite some time, but I recommend AGEOD's Birth of American 2 as well. It is a great little game. If you want individual battles John Tiller/HPS Sims Early American War Series is the way to go. It has Rev War, War of 1812, French & Indian War and Mexican-American War. Each game has various historic and alternate history battles. Well worth looking into too and one of the best & most underrated series made my them.

By the way is you are interested in PBEM play of either AGEOD or Tiller/HPS for these wars, the Colonial Campaigns Club (CCC) is the sole gaming organization that offers a place to play both & have something a little more fun than just a forum or ladder place. We have a good group of AGEOD gamers.

Feel free to email me too with any questions/comments: Scott Ludwig - eric2900@aol.com

Wargame Clubs - http://www.wargame.ch

The Blitz - http://www.theblitz.org/

Two of the Internet's Oldest Wargaming Collectives

Return to “General Discussion”