Looking for historical squad-platoon scale wargame

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Kuokkanen

Looking for historical squad-platoon scale wargame

Post by Kuokkanen »

Historical & detailed turn based wargames about small unit actions in scale of Jagged Alliance, UFO (Extraterrestrials) and X-COM series. Legends of War and Team Assault make 2. Anything else out there? What are the differences?

I have already watched YouTube video about Legends of War. I learned that 18 meters is beyond rifle range. That game is writeoff for me.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
bairdlander2

RE: Looking for historical squad-platoon scale wargame

Post by bairdlander2 »

Actung Panzer Operation Star,thanks for the tip on Legends of War,I was about to purchase
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

HPS Squad battle games, Silent Storm Gold
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Silent Storm looks promising. Does it work on Win7?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

Silent Storm looks promising. Does it work on Win7?

Probably, but don't know for sure I run it on Vista 64
t001001001

Post by t001001001 »

Silent Storm is a very good game.

It'll be the same w/ rifle range though. Your sniper will prepare a shot and miss from 30 yrds... It's ok, I assume it's for gameplay reasons. I don't want to have to scroll the map 2,000 yards to see what my sniper is trying to shoot at.
flibby

Post by flibby »

From someone who has played most games out there - i can say without doubt that you should play Combat Mission: Red Thunder.

wodin

Post by wodin »

Jagged Alliance 2 while not being historical is superb. I found the recent JA games to be OK aswell.

Combat Mission Red Thunder aswell.
z1812

Post by z1812 »

Any of the Combat Mission games will provide what you want. Each one also has a demo so you can try before you buy. You can download the demos at the Battlefront site. It is fully 3D.

The HPS Sqaud Battles system is also quite good but different as it is arranged as if you are playing a board game.
There is a free game called Squad Battles Grenada that can be downloaded from the John Tiller Games site so one can try the game.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: t001001001

Silent Storm is a very good game.

It'll be the same w/ rifle range though. Your sniper will prepare a shot and miss from 30 yrds... It's ok, I assume it's for gameplay reasons. I don't want to have to scroll the map 2,000 yards to see what my sniper is trying to shoot at.
I've played Jagged Alliance 2 Gold reinforced with v1.13 mod, and I had no issue whatsoever with the scrolling.

MekWars
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

Historical & detailed turn based wargames about small unit actions in scale of Jagged Alliance, UFO (Extraterrestrials) and X-COM series. Legends of War and Team Assault make 2. Anything else out there? What are the differences?

I have already watched YouTube video about Legends of War. I learned that 18 meters is beyond rifle range. That game is writeoff for me.

You might want to try the demo for Panzer Command Ostfront. It's turn based wego system. The unit scale may be slightly larger than you're looking for, but the Demo will give you a good sense of what it's about.

Rick
Kanov

Post by Kanov »

in 2D

-Close Combat series. CC2 and CC3 are the best for me. In CC2 you fight in 3 big sectors of Market Garden that are then subdivided in sub-sectors, you command a company in each sub-sector. Can play as Allies or Germans. In CC3 you are in charge of a company from a "Fire Brigade", an elite unit sent to the hot-spots on the eastern front fighting on key battles during 4 years. Can play as Germans and Russians.
-Firefight!

Edit: Sorry, I missed the Turn-based specification. Still worth a look I think.
Hard-core Spectre
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

I suppose it depends on precisely what you demand there be to 'look at' on the screen I suppose. If you can't get past the need for graphical prettiness, I likely can't help you.

But Conflict of Heroes is a very nice squad level tactical experience and isn't stuck in the rut of needing to be an eye candy design.

Squad Battles has a lot of titles to offer, but John's games have been seen to not always possess the most impressive of AIs. So it might not quite float your boat.

Battle Academy currently OWNS squad based tactical as I see it, and only the pointlessly fussy are going to whine about the graphics.

Of course if you demand the best, you have no choice, get into ASL. Just don't expect it to be free.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: flibby

From someone who has played most games out there - i can say without doubt that you should play Combat Mission: Red Thunder.

Matti, I agree! One of the best! [&o]

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Ho-ly Frak! That looks like winner! Unfortunately I have no idea where I could get it and I have already bought, downloaded (from GOG), and started with Silent Storm.

What comes to Combat Mission, Conflict of Heroes, and Squad Battles, those seem to be closer to the scale of Steel Panthers than Jagged Alliance or UFO: Extraterrestrials. Where does Battle Academy fall in?

MekWars
wodin

Post by wodin »

Shame the sequel never saw the light of day. Very high difficulty aswell.
Kanov

Post by Kanov »

hehe I remember playing the demo of this game. I found it pretty hard back in the day. Maybe I should try to find it and re-try.
Hard-core Spectre
wodin

Post by wodin »

Soldier at War is another oldie the OP is looking for.
I doubt you'll get it running with Win 7 or later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71IdryupIak

aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Isn't the 101st airborne Invasion on Shrapnel's site?

Oh just remembered an oldie but a goodie: Eric Young's Squad Assault. [:D] Oh wait he said turn based didn't he? Never mind

But, then again there's always Hasbro's "Squad Leader" right? The supposedly cousin to the real Squad Leader game. lol I shouldn't even mention that disaster huh?

Return to “General Discussion”