Is it worth building up Ramree Island?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

pharmy

Is it worth building up Ramree Island?

Post by pharmy »

And put a special base force, an ACM, 150 mines and an SNLF to defend my flank mid-war or am I just helping out the Commonwealth? Or do they have enough engineers to build up Ramree in no time even without my lvl 1(0)port help?
EHansen

RE: Is it worth building up Ramree Island?

Post by EHansen »

Just a question, did you put some fuel there for the ACM?
pharmy

Post by pharmy »

I haven't done it yet, but I definitely would. My current knowledge is the a dot base couldn't support an ACM because of fuel spoilage, so I would have to make it level one at least.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Depends on what your plan for the theatre is. Any dot base is "worth it" if it supports a good plan.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
pharmy

Post by pharmy »

I think I framed my question wrong. Should I try to build up Ramree to some degree to protect it from invasion or should I leave it as a dot base and if the Allies land there, have them go through the hardship of building it up?
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

My feeling is "never build any base that can't hold a divisions worth of troops". Anything less and your opponent can drop a regiment or more on you , crush you , kill everything there and leave. Dot bases (or atoll that can hold 6k or less) shouldn't hold anything you'd care to lose. A dot base IS a great place to place tenders, PA aircraft, float planes and things that can easily evacuate if you see your opponent coming in force. What you really , really need to ask yourself is "is there anything worth dying for? If the answer is no , then leave it. Just my 2 cents. [:)]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

My feeling is "never build any base that can't hold a divisions worth of troops". Anything less and your opponent can drop a regiment or more on you , crush you , kill everything there and leave. Dot bases (or atoll that can hold 6k or less) shouldn't hold anything you'd care to lose. A dot base IS a great place to place tenders, PA aircraft, float planes and things that can easily evacuate if you see your opponent coming in force. What you really , really need to ask yourself is "is there anything worth dying for? If the answer is no , then leave it. Just my 2 cents. [:)]

Good advice, Steve.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

All this beating around the bush aside, I think it's probably worthwhile to defend at Ramree. If you build at least 1 level of port or AF, your forces will benefit. It probably won't affect his offensive plans any, but it does remove a small weak spot. And the likelihood that your troops will be cut off when the base falls is small. It's not like an island dot base where there is no retreat.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

I would dug in in the hex next to Ramree Island. The island is connected to the Burma mainland by just one hex (either E or NE of Ramree). If Allies take Ramree Island, develop it and dump 1,000,000 supply points, the supply will not filter to the mainland if you block the adjacent hex. Dug in an infantry division there early, and the unit should reach level 5 forts in +2 terrain.
pharmy

Post by pharmy »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

I would dug in in the hex next to Ramree Island. The island is connected to the Burma mainland by just one hex (either E or NE of Ramree). If Allies take Ramree Island, develop it and dump 1,000,000 supply points, the supply will not filter to the mainland if you block the adjacent hex. Dug in an infantry division there early, and the unit should reach level 5 forts in +2 terrain.

Thanks, sound like an innovative way to defend against an amphib landing there. It connects on three hex sides (one green/one purple/one red). I'm assuming supply only flows decently in the green side. And the green is just one hex away from RR connected Prome. The only other reason I would use Ramree would be for ASW (lots deep ocean there, so seems like a good sub hunting spot for the Allies) and an AV in dot hex Ramree with FPs should be sufficient for that.
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

Unless something has changed- you can't build up a port at all in Ramree. Verrry annoying.
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

The Port is 0(0) and can be built up to a 3 as I did so in my DBB 30 PBEM game. IMO, once I had it and the hex due east of it, supplies flowed into the Irrawaddy River area and supplied my huge army that was near Shwebo that was not getting any from the maxed out bases in India and northern Burma. It was then a quick march down to Prome and Toungoo when I had this supply hub working. An Allied player can afford any supply lose here.
[center]Image[/center]
pharmy

Post by pharmy »

It just takes a lot longer : there were some calculations made before here : tm.asp?m=2885601
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

Well it got changed somewhere between me starting my first PBEM (still going, years ago) and now- because in my other game you can't build a port at Ramree, Trinkat or Great Nicobar. The ports are 0 (0) and there is no radio button for expanding the port size.
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

As a level 3 port with 200 nav support bristling with AA, that's a pretty good supply hub for the Allies. Not sure if it helps JFBs at all, though.

Itdepends: If a port is a 0(0) then it can be built to a three. It just takes a lot longer.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

It's 0(0) but with no button available to increase the port size.

Attachments
Ramreeisland.jpg
Ramreeisland.jpg (30.83 KiB) Viewed 148 times
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

What mod are you playing? In every scenario I've ever seen Ramtree Island was 0(0) with a build button including the official scenarios I have installed (the latest revisions).

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

The base in his screen shot shows it as an Airfield and not a Base. Thus, it cannot have the 0(0) port built up. I ran into this with my PBEM playing the first version of DBB 30 with Pegu. I've seen Baker have the same characteristics. Some of the mods have an error in the Editor over a base being just an Airfield and not a Base.
[center]Image[/center]
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

If you have an Infantry Division available it would be better used elsewhere. I would put in a Battalion -Regiment equivalent and build up the forts.

As the Allies I'd leave it alone unless it was left empty, the time & effort in building the base or moving off the island does not make it an easy job.

But I'd threaten it to make the JFB nervous.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

It's 0(0) but with no button available to increase the port size.

I vaguely recall reading something about this. IIRC it was made a 'non-port' hex (base) for game balance. Something about it being too easy to invade Burma through its location. Some mods may have it different. I play the latest 'official' mod. I'll chime back in later when I fire up the game to say what it is in that version.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Return to “The War Room”