Firstly, great news about the 1.08 patch and all the hard work people have put in on forums and behind the scenes to make this good game even better - love your work.
I have really enjoyed this game for many years now (yup, years) and many hours(don't ask how many times I nearly lost my gf as 'one more move' turned into an hour.....). With the new patch coming, I am keen to rekindle my skills (risking a 'divorce') and am keen to understand what (if any) standards setting and House Rules people recommend for the GC. My logic is a game to play until someone wins by Victory Points, the entire Axis-Soviet war (ie not for people to win or lose in 41 and then quit a game).
Soo, here we go....as a basis for discussion, here are setting and HR I have seen:
A. Grand Campaign (any need for Alt VP or sudden death?)
B. Random weather (maximise uncertainty about the weather)
C. HQ lock (easier to start that way)
D. Full Fog of war (maximise uncertainty about the enemy)
E. Use Server (maximise the sense of comfort for players about the game and saves)
F. Mild blizzard (many argue this is a more realistic winter)
G. 1-1 only (2-1 gone, does this remove the capacity of the Sov’s to fight and win tactically in 41, esp given the mild winter effects on 42)
House Rules - airborne
1. Do we need any rules about when airborne can start for the Sovs? (ie not before 41 blizzard seems the most common?)
2. Do we need rules about ‘why’ airborne can be used (ie in conjunction with other troops such as to break pockets; or alone ie such as to break rail lines) is there a logic to do with the mission being possibly ‘survivable’
3. Is there any reason for rules about the ‘minimum number of transports needed?
House Rules - amphib
4. Do we need any rules about when amphib can start for the Sovs? (ie not before 41 blizzard seems the most common?)
5. Do we need rules about where amphibs can occur (mid game 41-43) – ie not west of the last major Black Sea city held (ie not west of Odessa/Sevastapol/Novorossiysk unless held)
6. Do we need rules to cover outside the Sov union original borders (affects 41 and the post-43 later game) - ie also if/when allowed outside Sov borders ?
House rules – Air bombing attacks
7. Do we need any rules about bombing HQ (affects the apparently higher chances of killing leaders, but is also about the only way for air power to destroy and damage elements – albeit only in Support Units)
8. Max number of attacks against cities (affects ports, defensive values?)
9. Max number of attacks against airbases (excluding Axis turn 1 obviously)
General – attacking rules
10. Maximum number of attacks overall per hex (air and ground)? I have seen suggestions of 5 – does this also link to the no2-1 rule (ie more attacks may be needed for the Sovs?)
I hope the above is useful and appreciate any comments.
< Message edited by Don77 -- 9/23/2014 4:01:23 AM >