Modding and Modularity

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Erik Rutins

Modding and Modularity

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi everyone,

Elliot and I have been discussing the new features we've added since the release of Universe and what the modding community is most interested in. We were wondering about the importance of modularity as brought up by Locarnus vs. the importance of just extending the possibilities of what can be modded. We are very much interested in your input to this discussion.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Shogouki

RE: Modding and Modularity

Post by Shogouki »

Glad to see this brought up! Hopefully some good input and ideas will come from it.
elvendeathknight

Post by elvendeathknight »

I prefer the extension of possibilities of what can be done. I'm working on a mod that will never be published and will only be used for my own pleasure. I don't need it to be "compatible" with every mod ever published.

After reading Locarnus' posts, I understand that he expects that every modable parts of the game should easily fit in any mod. I think it is not realistic considering the amount of changes one can make. I personnaly like the recend addition of the research order, which fits perfectly with the ship templates.

If I want to incorporate bits of another mod, I can always open that wordpad and make the modifications myself. We are only talking about changing values in a text editor.
Franky007

Post by Franky007 »

The research tree, the components, the wonders and races are all linked together; i don't see how they could be made completely modular.

I would prefer improvements in other area before spending too much time on this.
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

I'm sorta in the gray area as far as this most recent change. I'm not really a fan of the concept in the first place, as setting a static research order just doesn't really seem like the foundation for an interesting game. At least not in the way that keeps me playing. Any mod that incorporated this feature in it i would probably have to edit and remove the changes. And certainly i do support modularity over overall modding potential in this case. I like to be able to choose what mods i want and add them seamlessly into my game, and easily remove any mods i don't like from compilations without breaking them or causing myself to do EXTRA work to get them compatible.

..On the other hand i respect the desire to enhance the capability of modders. The more capability one has to change the game, the more they can drive the game in the direction that they PERSONALLY want it to go/be. I'm still swaying more towards the modularity side of this regardless though, as i don't really like this particular feature addon for my personal tastes and it is going to cause the modder of one of the best mods in development right now to quit. A mod i personally view as must have. I may actually try and revert to a previous version of DW and Extended, forsaking the bug fixes and future development so that i can play with Locarnus's Balance Mod. Even if its just version .87... [I wont do this with Orange Mod, That mod will continue it's regular development once the patch goes live and extended is updated.]

Anyways, that's my take on it.

Edit: I do think that with a little bit of extra work it is entirely possible to make any version of the balance mod compatible with any mod using this feature. It's just ALOT of "little bit" of extra work and may require coordination between modders...something they may not be willing to do...
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

I would like to use this mod: tm.asp?m=3630680 (More (& Rebalanced) Wonders Mod) but I cannot use it if I want to use another research mod.

"A small modification in the tech tree was necessary (again ... WHY ?!, the tech necessary should be in the facilities.txt !) so this is incompatible with mods altering the research.txt file."

Is there a way to make these separate? Is that what you mean? If so then that would be great!
Shogouki

Post by Shogouki »

I'm rather torn on this issue like Unforeseen. I think ultimately I just want what will encourage the best growth and longevity for this mod community.
necaradan666

Post by necaradan666 »

I believe it's up to the game to be as open to modding as possible for ALL USERS, someone wanted that latest feature added didn't they?

The way Themes are separated into their own folders means that there is NO NEED for compatibility. So it's up to the individual modders to decide if they want to make their mods compatible with every other mod under the sun and adjust their files to each others standards accordingly, if that is what all parties are interested in. If some modders don't want to coordinate I guess you just have to see to your own mods and release them on their own merits rather than the fact that they're compatible with 'must haves'

And Locarnus vehemently wanted reactors adjusted for his mod's sake and was accommodated twice but quits when someone else's request goes through? Just because it makes his mod .. not unusable on it's own, just incompatible with others. Bad form old chap.
Sithuk

Post by Sithuk »

I don't know enough about the detail of the issues. Can one of the more experienced modders post the main issues and their recommendations to resolve them?

There is likely to be only so far that the mods can be made compatible with one another. Are the modders asking for a greater number of separate data files to reduce the risk of conflicts between files?
hewwo

Post by hewwo »

Yeah, I'm also thinking, more modding options is better than not having them just for the sake of modularity. Its a bit of work to integrate stuff perhaps, but I'm sure we'll just... do the extra work and the game will be better for it in the end. So, don't stop adding modding options just because peoples gut reaction to change is negative, and don't get too influenced by a vocal minority on the forums promoting their cause with extra large font size! (speaking of which, I want my filters to be remembered when I close/open a screen:p)
Sirian

Post by Sirian »

In principle, I would appreciate more modularity when modding.

The question is, how far would the modularity go and how much effort on your side would that mean? Lets take wonders and research for example. We have facility and wonder descriptions in one file and research project description in another file. In a perfect world, each file would contain only information used in its scope of authority and no other information. That means, the facilities file would only describe facilities (how they look, what they do, how much they cost...) and the reseach project file would only contain information about research projects (dependencies, cost...)

But what about the information that ties these two entities together? Facilites definity do need a connection to the research projects that unlock them. At the moment, they are linked by ids, meaning we use information that belongs to a different scope. Since we are trying to decouple the information "kingdoms", how will the links be implemented? Will they be put into the research file or the facilities file? Or a third file? They must be somewhere.

If it would mean we get links that have a descriptive nature rather than an id number, I am all for more modularity. A link that says:
this facility depends on the research project that...
- lets you build [whatever component or troop or ship type].
- lets you colonize this planet type
- lets you build ships of xy size
- increases your research/mining/docking rate to xy (or above)

That would be totally awesome.
Osito

Post by Osito »

Personally I think it's far more important that different mods can work together. Extending modding capababilities is good for people who want to create a mod for their own use, or for someone creating a total conversion, but it makes it much more difficult to bring together several existing mods (in fact, that's already difficult enough as it it). For example, at the moment we're seeing mods that:

1. Change the races (Haree's mod, which is pretty much regarded as 'vanilla' by many).
2. Change the resources.
3. Change the graphics for the resources.
4. Change the UI.
5. Change the energy tree.
6. Change the colonisation techs.

and so on.

Without good modularity we often have to choose which mod to run, and can only run one at a time. If anything, I would recommend you look at improving the existing modularity to make it easier for people who are modding different aspects of the game to make their mods compatible with other mods.

Having said that, I still think the game editor could use some work ;-)

Osito
Osito
Efaferal

Post by Efaferal »

I am strongly in favor of modularity. What I have seen of DW it feels very well crafted to this end. However as content is added by the developers and modders the chain of dependency gets rather complicated. If the community and developers want to continue to expand this project there will have to be some architecture to define how the modules fit together and a system for tracking compatibility- either in or out of the DW code base.

I think the principle we would appreciate from the Developers is that any future change which creates dependencies between the content be added as a new module/file. Case in point: the 'Research Path' addition. This is a brilliant addition but creates a new dependency between race and research. Therefore the implementation needs to be in a new file/table so a race.txt can be put in any mod base but the research path will depend upon the combination of tech and race of a given mod. (Sort of like a Db creation exercise)

To support the modularity, the 'holy grail' would be a content editor suite which allows creation of in game content like research techs, create the appropriate links to graphics/components/facilities/etc. or fix missing/broken links, and save out with a version and theme tag.

Hannable

Post by Hannable »

I'm going to vote for modularity, as well.

The reason is because some mods are just slight changes or tweaks but have to be placed in its own theme. Who really wants to give up Distant Worlds Extended or the Balance mod for a small tweak no matter how good that tweak is? I wanted to use the Colonization mod but couldn't unless I pitched DWE. I tried adding the Colonization changes to DWE but quickly became mired in "where does this go?" and "should I delete this part?" and decided meh ... I want to play the game, not spend my free time dealing with crashes and missing entries.

Bottom line is that having more modding features doesn't help much if the new mods created with them have to replace, rather than integrate with, older mods that we enjoy using. The only choice for the end user is to get in there and edit the files ourselves to make them compatible - but that's harder than it seems. Messing around with other people's work without understanding what's happening under the hood can result in lots 'o crashes.

So yeah, I think modularity is the way to go.
"Only one human captain has survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else." - Delenn of Minbar
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

As long as updates or the addition of new features are not breaking old mods Minecraft style I am all for new options over modularity. And even if you add features that completely break a mod, if they were something revolutionary or game changing I would rather have them and completely rebuild my mod then not have them. You will probably never design a system that makes drastically different mods modular and the onus of that burden will always fall on the modder to make things work together if they so choose. Even with well developed modding systems like the ones implemented in Skyrim and Fallout you inevitably encounter incompatibility warnings between some mods.

I don't really understand how this has gotten to this point as unless I am sorely mistaken the tech mod still works fine and the only issue is that if some race mod does decide to use the new racial tech modding features the race mod and tech mod will no longer be compatible. In that case the solution to me seems simple: you branch the race mod and run two versions, one which relies on the vanilla tech tree and one that relies on the expanded tech tree. Yes its extra work, but its not like we are working with java or C++ or something.

If anything members of the community need to devise their own standards for modularity because to me those sorts of things have to be done at the bottom not imposed from the top. We can settle on our own standards, assemble mod packs that take disparate mods and make them interchangeable and coherent, etc. I honestly don't think its a valuable use of a developers time to do that sort of stuff as you guys have access to the real code and can make changes to that, so I expect new features from you, not community organization.

And to put things in perspective here I'm not just talking out of my ass and trying to be the tough love guy. I designed this mod https://github.com/mensreaMC/Deus-Ex-Machina only to have it continually butchered by mojang through machine gun fast updates. So I know how it feels to have to start over and lose hundreds of hours of work. I'm afraid it just comes with the territory and we have to accept that part of the otherwise rewarding and engaging process of modding are the occasional setbacks and heartbreaks.
Locarnus

Post by Locarnus »

For the 1.9.5.4 modding feature (specified racial techs in the research.txt) add a new

config-races.txt

In this file there could be a section called something like "research-to-racial" containing a variable "res-race-tech" followed by a dummy variable.
eg

Code: Select all

research-to-racial:
 res-race-tech=0
would deactivate all the racial bindings in the research.txt

So if I as a research modder define that a tech is only usable by a certain race, the 0 would make those techs available to all races. If the value is set to 1, the racial techs are in effect. If the value is set to 2, those special techs get deactivated for every race to avoid making OP racial techs available if those are not used.

It is not a solution, just a workaround. It would allow racial modders to use a specific research.txt without the modularity killing parts. They would just need to deploy the mini config-races.txt to make it compatible.

The other way around for the 1.9.5.5 modding feature (detailed research order in races.txt). As a research modder I would deploy a

config-research.txt

which could look like that

Code: Select all

racial-to-research:
 race-res-tech-order=0
thus deactivating the precise research orders specified in the race.txt files.

As said before, far from a solution.
But modders can concentrate on their areas (with opportunity costs of not using the incompatible features) while the features stay .
And maybe one day, when the seperate mods are matured, "total conversion" mods might combine them, including the modularity incompatible modding features.

edit:
Or you could make the research orders of 1.9.5.5 seperate files, as Efaferal suggested. It would have the benefit that the orders can be shuffled around easily and just copypasted/renamed for different races:

ORIGINAL: Efaferal

I am all for the research paths improvement. Right now the 'dynamic' ( random ) AI research ends up researching non essentials and doesn't coordinate well with the ship design templates.
I think the research paths should be a separate file so partial mods will continue to work.
judahpeter

Post by judahpeter »

I would suggest taking the "BEST" community mods that most people really enjoy (maybe a vote) and making it part of the "Vanilla" game. :) Then there isn't so much a need for mods or modularity. Am I out of touch with this?
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

Nah man, there's a definite need for mods. They attract more people to a game and increase the replay value for anyone that uses it. From a business perspective alone the ability to mod a game is valuable. Personally all the best games I have ever played were highly modded.

That being said mods are a lot like multiplayer; a lot of people don't care about them or will just never bother with them. To each their own.

Locarnus's work around suggestion sounds great and relatively simple but then again I'm not the guy doing the coding and I don't even know what language this game is written in (could the coder reveal that by chance?).
judahpeter

Post by judahpeter »

ORIGINAL: mensrea

Nah man, there's a definite need for mods. They attract more people to a game and increase the replay value for anyone that uses it. From a business perspective alone the ability to mod a game is valuable. Personally all the best games I have ever played were highly modded.

I wasn't talking about removing mods or the ability to mod, just ADDING the best and most popular to the actual game so that those are integrated. Once this window of opportunity is over, then its just adding mods from this day forward.
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

ORIGINAL: judahpeter
I wasn't talking about removing mods or the ability to mod, just ADDING the best and most popular to the actual game so that those are integrated. Once this window of opportunity is over, then its just adding mods from this day forward.

Ahhh, ok, I misunderstood you there. I agree about adding some of the best mods to vanilla. I wouldn't mind seeing the extended tech tree, extended race, balanced wonders and eventually (hopefully) the AI improvement mod added to the game. From the sounds of it on the forum some of these mods are considered essential, anyway.

Return to “Design and Modding”