Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Books/Atkinson

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Books/Atkinson Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Books/Atkinson - 6/27/2014 10:40:49 PM   
pontiouspilot

Based on the glowing referrals here I just finished Atkinson's Liberation trilogy. It was every bit as good as suggested here. Has anyone here read any of his other books?
Post #: 1
RE: Books/Atkinson - 6/27/2014 11:45:31 PM   
Mac Linehan

I finished the Liberation Trilogy at the beginning of May, absolutely First Class throughout.

Have not yet read any of his other books, but intend to do so.

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 2
RE: Books/Atkinson - 6/28/2014 6:19:23 PM   
Lowpe

I read in the Company of Soldiers. It was good. I never read the Long Gray Line...but it is on my list to read.

(in reply to Mac Linehan)
Post #: 3
RE: Books/Atkinson - 6/28/2014 8:17:25 PM   
crsutton

The Long Gray Line is excellent. Maybe his best. He is now writing a trilogy on the American Revolution. I have posted this before but I am not above shameless self promotion and name dropping at any chance I can get. Here he is with his dog Kelly and me holding my new copy of Guns at Last Light.

Attachment (1)

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4
RE: Books/Atkinson - 6/29/2014 2:10:47 AM   
Fallschirmjager

I cannot wait for his new trilogy about the American revolution.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5
RE: Books/Atkinson - 6/29/2014 2:40:09 AM   
crsutton

Well, it will be a while. Took him ten years to do the Liberation Trilogy.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 6
RE: Books/Atkinson - 6/29/2014 3:25:47 AM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Well, it will be a while. Took him ten years to do the Liberation Trilogy.

It took Shelby Foote 19 to write his epic.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 7
RE: Books/Atkinson - 6/29/2014 8:11:31 AM   
Stele

Thanks for pointing this out; just grabbed them at my library.

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 8
RE: Books/Atkinson - 6/29/2014 4:11:30 PM   
Symon

quote:

You are truly blessed crsutton.

Rick Atkinson is almost a throw-back to classic Journalism. He positions himself in a way that evokes the mold of Hemmingway, Gelhorn, Agee, Steinbeck, Capa, Talese, Carter, Chapelle, Thompson, and Hersey, and he holds his own with all of them.

The 21st century philosophy doesn’t allow comparisons of this sort. But he did it. And did it well and truly righteously. If you are intelligent, or into critical thinking, Anything this man writes is worth reading.

Ciao, JWE

< Message edited by Symon -- 6/29/2014 5:13:38 PM >

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 9
RE: Books/Atkinson - 6/29/2014 9:05:36 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

The Long Gray Line is excellent. Maybe his best. He is now writing a trilogy on the American Revolution.

Excellent! I'm glad to hear that he's writing a trilogy on the American Revolution! I've tried (unsuccessfully) to find a well-documented read on the AR. I trust he'll do a good job of it.

Not a big ACW buff, but I may just have to check out the Long Gray Line too.

Oh...nice Birkenstocks, crsutton. Hippie.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 10
RE: Books/Atkinson - 6/30/2014 7:28:51 AM   
Doggie3

+1 for the Long Grey Line (West Point Class of '66) and I also found Crusade, his book about the first Gulf War (Desert Storm and Desert Shield) to be an excellent read.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Liberation trilogy, might have to take a look at that.

Cheers

< Message edited by Doggie3 -- 6/30/2014 8:34:59 AM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Books/Atkinson - 6/30/2014 9:54:54 AM   
mikkey

yes, Crusade is excellent book

(in reply to Doggie3)
Post #: 12
RE: Books/Atkinson - 6/30/2014 3:14:34 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

quote:

You are truly blessed crsutton.

Rick Atkinson is almost a throw-back to classic Journalism. He positions himself in a way that evokes the mold of Hemmingway, Gelhorn, Agee, Steinbeck, Capa, Talese, Carter, Chapelle, Thompson, and Hersey, and he holds his own with all of them.

The 21st century philosophy doesn’t allow comparisons of this sort. But he did it. And did it well and truly righteously. If you are intelligent, or into critical thinking, Anything this man writes is worth reading.

Ciao, JWE

He is truly a nice guy. Autographed all my volumes and brought me a free copy of The Long Gray Line and Guns at Last Light without me having to beg. I have my wife to thank. She is the dog trainer for Kelly. He brought her over for an intro and in the course of chatting I asked him what he did and he said he was writing a trilogy on WWII. My jaw just dropped. My wife said it was like a schoolgirl meeting Sinatra.

He has agreed to autograph a full set of the trilogy for the WWII veterans memorial drive that they have every year at the Advance Squad Leader tournament in Bowie MD.

And you are right. His writing just flows like "buttah." The guy already has two Pulitizer Prizes.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 13
RE: Books/Atkinson - 6/30/2014 3:30:50 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

The Long Gray Line is excellent. Maybe his best. He is now writing a trilogy on the American Revolution.

Excellent! I'm glad to hear that he's writing a trilogy on the American Revolution! I've tried (unsuccessfully) to find a well-documented read on the AR. I trust he'll do a good job of it.

Merrill shoes, "Cadillacs for your feet" But "Boy Most Fowl" the Long Gray Line is about the West Point Class of 1966 (the class that lost the most men in Vietnam) and is just excellent from beginning to end.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 14
RE: Books/Atkinson - 7/1/2014 12:59:09 AM   
rsallen64

Yes, as well as the Liberation Trilogy, read Company of Soldiers and Crusade. Both very, very good. I love reading about the Revolution as well, so I will eagerly await that trilogy.

Desert War 1940-1942 Beta Tester
Agressors: Ancient Rome Beta Tester

"The greatest and noblest pleasure which men can have in this world is to discover new truths; and the next is to shake off old prejudices." Frederick the Great

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 15
RE: Books/Atkinson - 7/1/2014 2:00:38 AM   
jmalter

am I wrong in thinking that Atkinson was gonna do a 4th book to the Liberation Triad, dealing w/ the Pacific War?

I really liked his trilogy, esp. his extensive quotes from Ernie Pyle's work.

(in reply to rsallen64)
Post #: 16
RE: Books/Atkinson - 7/1/2014 1:58:10 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmalter

am I wrong in thinking that Atkinson was gonna do a 4th book to the Liberation Triad, dealing w/ the Pacific War?

I had that conversation with him, hoping that he would. But he is not as interested in the Pacific Campaign. It is on to the War of Independence.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 17
RE: Books/Atkinson - 7/1/2014 1:59:40 PM   
crsutton

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmalter

I had that conversation with him, hoping that he would. But he is not as interested in the Pacific Campaign. It is on to the War of Independence. But I suspect that he will do it justice.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 18
RE: Books/Atkinson - 7/1/2014 3:41:01 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Merrill shoes, "Cadillacs for your feet" But "Boy Most Fowl" the Long Gray Line is about the West Point Class of 1966 (the class that lost the most men in Vietnam) and is just excellent from beginning to end.

Thanks for clarifying crsutton.

The Vietnam books that I've appreciate are those that deal with the military aspect of the conflict and don't devolve (as so many do) into the political machinations of the home front at the time. Sure, I get it, the political goings-on at home dictated our involvement in the war. But, IMO, too many authors lose their cohesive narrative on the fighting so they can (over)focus on domestic politics of the time. One of the few books on the subject that I've read that focused on the American decimation of the Vietcong and the military defeat the VC suffered post-Tet was Unheralded Victory, the defeat of the Vietcong and the NVA 1961-1973 by Mark Woodruff. I thoroughly recommend that refreshing look at the war for those interested in the military aspects of Vietnam.

So, with that being said, does Atkinson's "Long Grey Line" focus on the military aspect of the war or does it devolve and lose focus on domestic politics?

Thanks for your consideration.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 19
RE: Books/Atkinson - 7/1/2014 4:41:45 PM   
Symon

quote:

So, with that being said, does Atkinson's "Long Grey Line" focus on the military aspect of the war or does it devolve and lose focus on domestic politics?

If I might interject; I do not know Mr Atkinson's political persuasion. I cannot find it in his works. He was embedded with the 101st for Desert Storm and he is still getting honarary induction to unit membership for his genuine honesty and comradeship.

Long Grey Line looks at the men and their backgrounds, and their interaction with specific circumstances of a specific period in our history; who they were, where they came from, what they had to go through, and why they chose to do so, what their experiences led them to accomplish, and (possibly), why.

This is not a political book. This is a study of human philosophy. Why men study war; and when they must finally must take up the gauntlet, what they do with their philosophy. It is a book about men who must make some very important, and possibly deadly, decisions in a cultural/political whirlwind. It is about men that the contemporary world does not understand. It is about men who believe in honor, duty, and country. It is about men and a time when we still believed in something greater than ourselves.

I could go on and on, but won't. Just that he's not a tiny penis social media wannabe, celebrated progressive moron, or a homo-sex HIV victim screaming for validation.

Ciao. John. Oops, almost forgot... Yippie Ki Yay !!

Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20
RE: Books/Atkinson - 7/1/2014 8:29:44 PM   
crsutton

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Vietnam books that I've appreciate are those that deal with the military aspect of the conflict and don't devolve (as so many do) into the political machinations of the home front at the time. Sure, I get it, the political goings-on at home dictated our involvement in the war. But, IMO, too many authors lose their cohesive narrative on the fighting so they can (over)focus on domestic politics of the time. One of the few books on the subject that I've read that focused on the American decimation of the Vietcong and the military defeat the VC suffered post-Tet was Unheralded Victory, the defeat of the Vietcong and the NVA 1961-1973 by Mark Woodruff. I thoroughly recommend that refreshing look at the war for those interested in the military aspects of Vietnam.

Well, I think you will enjoy it. The best part of all is a close look at what West Point was in 1966, which really takes up half the book. It reads like a good novel. Try it and let us know what you think. It is not really about the Vietnam War.

My favorite Vietnam War book is "A Bright Shining Lie." by Neil Sheehan. Nothing comes close to this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Bright_Shining_Lie

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21
RE: Books/Atkinson - 7/2/2014 2:21:16 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, I think you will enjoy it. The best part of all is a close look at what West Point was in 1966, which really takes up half the book. It reads like a good novel. Try it and let us know what you think. It is not really about the Vietnam War.

My favorite Vietnam War book is "A Bright Shining Lie." by Neil Sheehan. Nothing comes close to this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Bright_Shining_Lie

Thanks for the link, crsutton. With all due respect, that wiki (Bright Shining Lie) reads like a sociopolitical 'told you so' about the conduct of the war in leadership echelons. Not what I'm looking for.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 22
RE: Books/Atkinson - 7/2/2014 2:37:59 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

Just that he's not a tiny penis social media wannabe, celebrated progressive moron, or a homo-sex HIV victim screaming for validation.

TOMLABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition - Ship & Sub Art - Base Unit Art - Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 23
RE: Books/Atkinson - 7/2/2014 4:07:02 AM   
crsutton

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks for the link, crsutton. With all due respect, that wiki (Bright Shining Lie) reads like a sociopolitical 'told you so' about the conduct of the war in leadership echelons. Not what I'm looking for.

Not really. John Paul Vann was an unheralded hero of the war who loved his country and wanted it to succeed in Vietnam. He is a character right out of Hemingway. And Sheehan writes about him and the war as only someone who witnessed it first hand could. Another history book that reads like a novel. I have spent a lot of time researching and studying the Vietnam War and this book gets it about as right as anything. Sheehan won the Pulitzer Prize for his effort.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 24
RE: Books/Atkinson - 7/2/2014 2:00:46 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not really. John Paul Vann was an unheralded hero of the war who loved his country and wanted it to succeed in Vietnam. He is a character right out of Hemingway. And Sheehan writes about him and the war as only someone who witnessed it first hand could. Another history book that reads like a novel. I have spent a lot of time researching and studying the Vietnam War and this book gets it about as right as anything. Sheehan won the Pulitzer Prize for his effort.

Maybe so, but it's not the type of book on the Vietnamese war that I'm looking for. Any recommendations on a non-second-person centric military history of the entirety of the war? I'm looking for something more akin to an 'official history'.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 25
RE: Books/Atkinson - 7/2/2014 5:39:13 PM   
barkman44

After reading"Day of Battle"I just had to ask him via e-mail why he didn't
include Hube,the overall german commander on sicily.
He responded that he couldn't include everyone involved.
He was an interesting character.He died in a airplane crash in route to berlin
to receive an award(can't remember off the top of my head swords I think,am on the road)
For his command actions on sicily.No criticism just an interesting aside.
Also as for books on Vietnam,I served there and just can't get interested in reading about it.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 26
RE: Books/Atkinson - 7/3/2014 7:48:55 AM   
Doggie3

quote:

ORIGINAL: barkorn45

After reading"Day of Battle"I just had to ask him via e-mail why he didn't
include Hube,the overall german commander on sicily.
He responded that he couldn't include everyone involved.
He was an interesting character.He died in a airplane crash in route to berlin
to receive an award(can't remember off the top of my head swords I think,am on the road)
For his command actions on sicily.No criticism just an interesting aside.
Also as for books on Vietnam,I served there and just can't get interested in reading about it.

Hube had received his Diamonds to the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves, Swords and Diamonds. In addition to his efforts on Sicily, he was also awarded the Diamonds for the breakout of III Panzerkorps from the Kamenets-Podolsky pocket. One of Germany's best commanders.

Cheers,

(in reply to barkman44)
Post #: 27
RE: Books/Atkinson - 7/3/2014 3:05:53 PM   
Symon

quote:

Maybe so, but it's not the type of book on the Vietnamese war that I'm looking for. Any recommendations on a non-second-person centric military history of the entirety of the war? I'm looking for something more akin to an 'official history'.

I don’t think one of those exists. The period was one of incredible turmoil; in the military establishment, as well as society as a whole. Most authors have an axe to grind or an ox to gore. The military writers are all either Colonels who will not get stars, or Lt Colonels who ain’t likely to get even their silver chicken.

In my humble opinion, the best of the bunch, the most penetrating, able, and forthright, is Harry G Summers, Col, Inf, USA; classical, Clausewitzian analysis. His “Critical Analysis of the Vietnam War” is excellent, to my mind. His bibliographies are profound in their own right. His bibliographies will give you lots of food for thought, and some good reading.

He does his best to avoid getting tangled up in the socio/political underpants of the period; although he is very harsh on the military/politico interaction, not a surprise coming from the military side. His biography is also very interesting.

Ok, enuf, returning this OT hijack to the original OT thread .

Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 28
RE: Books/Atkinson - 7/3/2014 7:42:01 PM   
barkman44

That was the so-called"Roving pocket"

(in reply to Doggie3)
Post #: 29
RE: Books/Atkinson - 7/5/2014 5:23:41 PM   
pontiouspilot

What about "Pacific Payback" by a chap called Moore?…..anybody read it? It showed up on my Amazon spam after I checked out Atkinson's other books.

(in reply to barkman44)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Books/Atkinson Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI