Any way to change a game options once the game is started ?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

yvesp

Any way to change a game options once the game is started ?

Post by yvesp »

Well, all is in the title.

For some reason, I forgot to check the extended rebase optional rule in my current game.
I'd like to enable this : is there any possibility to do so without starting again ??

Thanks!
Yves
AxelNL

RE: Any way to change a game options once the game is started ?

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: yvesp

Well, all is in the title.

For some reason, I forgot to check the extended rebase optional rule in my current game.
I'd like to enable this : is there any possibility to do so without starting again ??

Thanks!
Yves

I'm afraid not.
yvesp

Post by yvesp »

Damned!

Yves
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

Damned!

Yves

Don't shoot the messenger[8|]
yvesp

Post by yvesp »

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

Damned!

Yves

Wasn't aimed at you.
Anyway, I'm a bad shot...

Seems to me that some options should be modifiable on the fly.

Yves
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

Damned!

Yves

Wasn't aimed at you.
Anyway, I'm a bad shot...

Seems to me that some options should be modifiable on the fly.

Yves

Not sure about that. Usually things are more complex than you think
yvesp

Post by yvesp »

I did not say all. But some certainly.
Possibly, it could be acceptable that such changes happen at the end of a turn to avoid some side effects.

For example, extended aircraft range is a simple toggle. On and units can rebase (under certain conditions) 3x their range, Off and it's only x2. Really simple.

Or Extended game. I hit January 1945 and decides that I'd now like to extend the game to 1948. I don't see that many problems here either.

Or combat table choice: it's really easy to switch this on/off.

For these options that add units, there certainly is more trouble. You cannot switch a chosen option off. Switching one on might be complicated too, but a simple if not perfect solution is just to push the appropriate units in the production pools. However, this would not work for Carrier Planes.

So certainly all of the options cannot be turned on/off, but some definitely can.
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

yes, but it will mean more coding. I would rather have the AI first imho
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

I did not say all. But some certainly.
Possibly, it could be acceptable that such changes happen at the end of a turn to avoid some side effects.

For example, extended aircraft range is a simple toggle. On and units can rebase (under certain conditions) 3x their range, Off and it's only x2. Really simple.

Or Extended game. I hit January 1945 and decides that I'd now like to extend the game to 1948. I don't see that many problems here either.

Or combat table choice: it's really easy to switch this on/off.

For these options that add units, there certainly is more trouble. You cannot switch a chosen option off. Switching one on might be complicated too, but a simple if not perfect solution is just to push the appropriate units in the production pools. However, this would not work for Carrier Planes.

So certainly all of the options cannot be turned on/off, but some definitely can.

yvesp,

I understand your view on this, but what you view as a simple change or something easy to code has the possibility growing into time sucking whirlpool.

My view is that ONLY after Netplay or the AI is functioning well (and that comes after Steve's critical work on other serious issues he is presently working on)
would it be prudent to change course to expend time to look at "wishes" like this. A yes/no toggle switch is a YES/NO to the user but behind the scenes it has interactions
with every line of code that references it.

I vote to get this puppy finished before finite resources (coding time) are expended on changes people want. Finished in the sense that
promised features are completed and functioning BEFORE changes are given priority of resources.

Also, it would be nice if MWIF is finished before the Miami Dolphins win their next Super Bowl (this could be as early as Feb 2015)...

Flipper
bo

Post by bo »

Oh my lord you used a no no word AxelNL, [:-] the AI before the coding of turning off certain optional rules, I am in shock yes shock, I think the wonderful play of the Netherlands in the world cup has affected your very sound judgement [:D] Oh well after the Netherlands has won you will be back to the old AxelNL that I trust and admire.

Bo
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: bo

Oh my lord you used a no no word AxelNL, [:-] the AI before the coding of turning off certain optional rules, I am in shock yes shock, I think the wonderful play of the Netherlands in the world cup has affected your very sound judgement [:D] Oh well after the Netherlands has won you will be back to the old AxelNL that I trust and admire.

Bo

michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

I sure the game will continue to evolve, and this is on the wish list.

but we are talking years, before we get to that.

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

There are some optional rules that I have enabled to be changed for beta testing. But not all the optional rules. Adding and subtracting unit types (e.g., light cruisers) is really impossible.

On the other hand changing from the 1D10 to the 2D10 Land CRT isn't that hard - unless you are in the middle of land combat resolution.

So, each optional rule would have to be closely examined for whether it could be toggled on/off. But the code for toggling them already exists and works fine (it uses the optional rules form).
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Return to “World in Flames”