Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Research Focusing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Research Focusing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Research Focusing - 6/15/2014 12:26:28 PM   
Francoy

As reported in these forums, one of the remaining weakness of the AI, is it's lack of focus on research.

I had an idea to improve this without the need for any chages in the current files !

Add the number of time the same research area is listed in both the races and policy files.

A research listed twice would be researched two time further along.
A research listed thrice would be researched three time further along.

notes:
When multiple path are available, the most advanced should be selected. If tied, select the racial tech first.
When the end of a line of research is reached, stop all research on that area.

Any comments ?
Post #: 1
RE: Research Focusing - 6/15/2014 12:34:36 PM   
Icemania

I certainly noticed while testing that the effect of research listed in the races and policy files was far less than expected.

It's an interesting idea and would support Matrix considering this or any other solution which would increase the effect.

(in reply to Francoy)
Post #: 2
RE: Research Focusing - 6/21/2014 3:28:15 PM   
Francoy

I am testing the new patch v1.9.5.4

I play the Dhayut (as a Pirate)
I set the Research to auto and i reset all my research and wait for the AI to choose new research.
Why does it choose Torpedoes when i have no templates with Torpedoes, and my research policy are set at Beam and Missiles ?

Edit: I play as a Pirate. None have torpedoes in them...

< Message edited by Francoy -- 6/21/2014 4:39:52 PM >

(in reply to Francoy)
Post #: 3
RE: Research Focusing - 6/21/2014 3:31:15 PM   
Bingeling

Edit: The dhayut are set up to use torpedoes in the AI design template. What is researches is set in the policy.

< Message edited by Bingeling -- 6/21/2014 4:33:21 PM >

(in reply to Francoy)
Post #: 4
RE: Research Focusing - 6/21/2014 3:31:37 PM   
Icemania

Good questions, sounds like the problems here that I mentioned in the Distant Worlds AI thread have not been fixed yet.

(in reply to Francoy)
Post #: 5
RE: Research Focusing - 6/21/2014 4:00:31 PM   
Francoy

I was particulary interested in this new change:
- improved AI research pathing to better emphasize tech focuses from empire policy (ResearchDesignTechFocus1-6), while still researching other important techs

I tested it four times.
Some time he choose fighter, some time torpedoes, and some other time Tractor beam.
But not once did it choose the one from my Policy !!
It seems random to me.

< Message edited by Francoy -- 6/21/2014 5:59:03 PM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 6
RE: Research Focusing - 6/21/2014 7:28:20 PM   
Spidey

Which torp tech did it research and don't you need one as a prereq for those assault module things? And are you quite sure your Dhayut space stations don't have torp bays on them?

In general, I think a longer test run is needed in order to say anything about randomness. I'm guessing the AI is working with balanced weights where research priorities are one factor while getting necessary upgrades also ends up being an increasingly higher priority, so while it might be somewhat random exactly which tech the AI decides to research next, there's possibly a pattern to it. And if there's a pattern then it's not random.

(in reply to Francoy)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Research Focusing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI