o/ Space Dictators
Been a while since I last really gave the forums much attention and after quite enjoying playing Distant Worlds again since the release of Universe (BTW, thanks for letting us convert keys into steam keys, you guys really are the best devs ever <3). I've been wanting to try out an idea for an AAR that involves the community for a while now and figured why the hell not do it now (Or the very near future, all depends on reactions to this thread).
I want to incorporate you forum dwellers in a vassalage kind of system where I will start giving ownership of conquered systems to volunteers from the forums who ultimately decide how those systems are run as well as how their own fleets operate. Now this can turn out to be either really boring and slow or it can turn out stupidly complicated but lots of fun but I will need the help of you guys that may be interested in deciding on some rules and procedures to ensure that if you do in fact like this idea it will run a long and happy life (Until you all decide you are sick of me as your monarch and think your fleets are better protecting your own planets rather than the capital, which could also be hilariously fun)
So knowing the base idea, my biggest issue is making this a reality. I was planning on making it a text LP (I can't really do video ones due to never really having the time alone and in peace to do them just yet), and was wondering how to have regular updates on game progression but also without having to wait weeks at a time for all the vassals to respond to events and stuff. Below is my current ideas but I would also love to hear what you guys first of all think of the initial idea, and how it could be improved to work as intended:
1) Initially systems will be handed out to volunteers until everyone has one (Either random selection or first come first serve).
2) If it comes to the point all the volunteers now own land, future systems will be either bid for (Offering up something to entice me such as guaranteed following orders for a set duration to let you control another system), or handing them out depending on an individual vassal's performance (Obeying the crown means more chance of being rewarded with land. Only think for yourself and you are likely not to thrive).
3) Game Updates is the biggest challenge. I think the best way to do it would either be ask for people on how they want their holdings to be controlled for a set duration such as a year, or 5 game years (Other amounts of time are available). The alternative is again ask people for their orders and then let that carry on until some kind of major event happens (Such as war being declared, fights breaking out... and so on.)
4) A voting system! This seemed fun to include that the vassals are to take part in important decisions. Our allies just got declared war on? Well we're going to need a majority vote to decide if we honour our defense pact.
5) Rewards. Following orders from the crown and being a good little vassal is likely to get you a royal reward such as more land, improved defenses, maybe even extra ships for your fleet! Although that being said, it is your planet and fleet so if you feel they would be better use elsewhere then you won't be punished for it.
These are just initial ideas. The main reason for this thread is to first find out what people think of the idea to see if its worth while doing and if there is enough interest (Even if it's only a few people), we can then work out the finer details that suits everyone.
Sorry for the long read, looking forward to your responses.