A couple shots of the Physical Copy.

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

StarLab

A couple shots of the Physical Copy.

Post by StarLab »

Greetings all!

Just thought I would throw up a couple shots of the Physical copy I ordered of Distant Worlds Universe which arrived yesterday. I was pleased to see my name actually printed on the DVD. (Does everyone get this or is it a bonus for Beta Testers? - Not sure) Either way, very cool.

Nice bound manual too! I didn't open it up too much for that pic as I want to preserve a crease-less spine on the book.

Very pleased! Thanks Matrix/Elliot/Erik/Everyone! [:D][8D]

Attachments
Boxed.jpg
Boxed.jpg (510.08 KiB) Viewed 160 times
StarLab

RE: A couple shots of the Physical Copy.

Post by StarLab »

PS: This is the first game I've actually HELD IN MY HAND since Civ III. Everything has been DL copies so it was nice to actually touch a product for a change! [:D]
Hannable

Post by Hannable »

Yeah, I bought a physical copy of War in the Pacific, Admirals Edition and it was packaged just like that. And the manual was so thick it wouldn't fit in the case - it came attached to the case via rubber bands hehe.

They really do a bang-up job with their stuff. Unfortunately my manual is falling apart now because a game as complex as War in the Pacific had me referencing the manual quite often. What a bummer. [:(]
"Only one human captain has survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else." - Delenn of Minbar
neem693

Post by neem693 »

god..
i really want to have this one.
oh my god, I'm so envious of you.
hello, everyone?
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Wow ... I saw one of those in a Museum once. You know, along with the tape decks and punch cards ... [:D]
StarLab

Post by StarLab »

ORIGINAL: Icemania

Wow ... I saw one of those in a Museum once. You know, along with the tape decks and punch cards ... [:D]

Well, there's a new angle to sell more copies of DW...

[center]"Buy Distant Worlds: Universe on 300,000 Punchcards now!"
(Punchcard reader sold separately)[/center]
Lucian

Post by Lucian »

I miss the days when we used to go to the store, buy a physical copy of the game (where the manual was the heaviest part) and most importantly just install and play without any stuffing around! Well done Matrix!
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: StarLab

PS: This is the first game I've actually HELD IN MY HAND since Civ III. Everything has been DL copies so it was nice to actually touch a product for a change! [:D]

And the nice thing about the physical copy: so long as you have it, you can always reinstall and play it, no matter if you have online connectivity or not. [;)]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

Mine arrived yesterday as well [:)]

First real game for me as well in a while, last one was HOMM V Collectors Edition from Amazon a good few moons ago.

Universe took 13 days to get here and it arrived with no damage, that is a first for anything coming across the pond, I can not comment on the name on the disk as I still have not taken it out of the plastic, I am still none to sure whether I will, I might keep it to show to the grandfolks one day to show them what things were like in the dark ages [:D]

Thanks Matrix, Elliot and Erik.

Darkspire

StarLab

Post by StarLab »

ORIGINAL: Darkspire

Mine arrived yesterday as well [:)]

First real game for me as well in a while, last one was HOMM V Collectors Edition from Amazon a good few moons ago.

Universe took 13 days to get here and it arrived with no damage, that is a first for anything coming across the pond, I can not comment on the name on the disk as I still have not taken it out of the plastic, I am still none to sure whether I will, I might keep it to show to the grandfolks one day to show them what things were like in the dark ages [:D]

Thanks Matrix, Elliot and Erik.

Darkspire

I _almost_ left the shrink wrap on, but curiosity got the better of me. [:-] Needed to see inside. I'll leave the booklet in mint shape and the DVD will likely never see a drive so that's close enough for me. [:)]
henri51

Post by henri51 »

ORIGINAL: Lucian

I miss the days when we used to go to the store, buy a physical copy of the game (where the manual was the heaviest part) and most importantly just install and play without any stuffing around! Well done Matrix!

I miss even more the days when I went to the store and bought a physical copy with the manual, and bought the 250-page game guide at the same time...

Henri
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

ORIGINAL: henri51

I miss even more the days when I went to the store and bought a physical copy with the manual, and bought the 250-page game guide at the same time...

Henri
I regret the days I went to the game store and bought games, which ended up in one more dvd box and manual that I struggle to get rid off.

I am a big supporter of digital content ;-)

Some favorite games should be kept, and DW deserved that spot, but.. No.
Yskonyn

Post by Yskonyn »

Yay! Congrats guys. :)

Mine hasn't arrived yet, so I am envious! Not that it prevents me from playing, but yeah.. you know. ;)
Yskonyn -

Desktop: Intel i7 9700K @5.0Ghz, Nvidia RTX3080Ti, 32GB RAM, Win 11 64bit
Laptop: Acer Swift 3 Intel i7 1065G7, Nvidia MX350, 8GB RAM, Win 11 64 bit.
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

Yeah, I got my copy about three days after ordering it - apparently their distribution is only 200mi down the Highway from me.

I haven't unwrapped mine yet [;)]
CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

TanC

Post by TanC »

I can confirm that your name is printed on the disc. I have bought every physical of DW and each and every one has my name on it. And I'm not a Beta Tester.

Personally, I loved the personal touch with the inclusion of my name. And the (unexpected) thick manual that came with DW:U is a plus! Now the disc is never seeing the light of day again. It's a keeper. :)
Balkor Wolf

Post by Balkor Wolf »

Wow... A game with decent sized manual in it. Not seen one of those since X3 Terran Conflict.
Hannable

Post by Hannable »

ORIGINAL: Bingeling
ORIGINAL: henri51

Henri
I regret the days I went to the game store and bought games, which ended up in one more dvd box and manual that I struggle to get rid off.

I am a big supporter of digital content ;-)

Some favorite games should be kept, and DW deserved that spot, but.. No.

No kidding. I remember once having to move and I had to pack and store several boxes of game manuals and CD cases. What's worse is that many of the CD keys were located inside the manuals or in the cases so you couldn't really chuck them unless you went through each game/case/manual and wrote down the key somewhere - and lord help you if you lose that paper. I had a game I couldn't play anymore because I lost the manual in a move.

At least with digital downloads, there is a record of your purchase and the game can be downloaded again if needs be. You aren't held hostage as much by CD keys, store receipts, piles of physical manuals, and gaming companies that will always charge you $10 or more for a replacement CD if you lose, scratch, or break the original. And, you don't have to wait days or weeks to play ... in less than an hour, most games are downloaded and ready to go.

And really ... in today's world, how often are you going to be without internet connectivity?
"Only one human captain has survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else." - Delenn of Minbar
Antiscamp

Post by Antiscamp »

Here's mine! Got it two days ago! I haven't opened it, and don't intend to. Right now I'm proudly flashing it off in a display case.

Attachments
P6090359.jpg
P6090359.jpg (272.08 KiB) Viewed 159 times
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Whoa whoa whoa... !

So to play the game, you have to press the button to open the CD drive, insert the game CD, then gently push it into the computer case?

That brings a whole new physical dimension to playing the game fully manual - the manly way to play!!!

I approve!

[:D]
NEWBIE GUIDE Distant Worlds Universe
http://tinyurl.com/k3frrle

War in the Pacific Poradnik po Polsku
http://tinyurl.com/nxd4cesh

INSTALL WITPAE on modern PC
https://tinyurl.com/l5kr6rl
fenrislokison

Post by fenrislokison »

ORIGINAL: Timotheus
the manly way to play!!!

isn't there a missing man in the middle? :p

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”