How does non-server PBEM work?

For non-server PBEM games, post here to look for an opponent.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

vandorenp

How does non-server PBEM work?

Post by vandorenp »

I tried understanding para 3.3.7 and failed. I started a PBEM game and had to register with some matrix application. I did and then nothing. How is this supposed to work? Rube Goldberg couldn't have done better.

3.3.7. Play by E-Mail (PBEM)
PBEM allows two human players to play Gary Grigsby's War in the East by exchanging turn files by e-mail in a manner that inhibits cheating. Selecting the PBEM button either here or in the Load Saved Game screen toggles PBEM on or off. A check will appear in the PBEM box if PBEM is enabled. The default setting for PBEM is disabled. To start a PBEM game, the second player to move in the chosen scenario (e.g. the Soviet player in the 1941-45 Campaign or the Axis player in the 1944-45 Campaign) enables PBEM, sets the agreed upon Game Options and then selects the scenario. The second player will then be prompted to create their password. Once a password has been created, the second player will be taken to the PBEM Save Game screen, where they will create a save game, which will be saved as a .psv file in the /data/save directory. The second player will then be automatically taken back to the main menu. The second player will then e-mail the save game file to the first player, who will transfer the file into their /data/save directory. They will then enable PBEM, load the save and then will be prompted to create their own password. The first player will then take their turn, saving whenever they want. Once the first player has finished their turn and selected the end turn button (F12), the computer will conduct the next Logistics phase and then prompt the first player to save the game so it can be e-mailed to the second player to continue the PBEM cycle. Note that there are no auto saves during PBEM. In addition, the Loss screen does not come up automatically when the end of turn save is loaded by the next player. If the player views the Loss screen before doing anything else, however, they will see the last turn's losses, including their own attrition losses. At the conclusion of a game, the player that sees the end game info can save the game and exit and the save created becomes a PBEM save that the next player can load using his password in order to view the same end game info.
Keydet
jwolf

RE: How does non-server PBEM work?

Post by jwolf »

Believe it or not, it works exactly as described in the section of the manual that you quoted. I don't know what is the "Matrix application" you had but I recently completed my first PBEM game (with Loki) and I didn't need to register for anything new. You do need a way to transfer the save and they might be a bit large for some email applications. Loki and I used dropbox (at his recommendation) and it worked very well.

When you tried to start your game, were you supposed to be the first player or the second? Has your opponent had any PBEM experience? If so, he should be able to get you started, as Loki did for me.
charlie0311

RE: How does non-server PBEM work?

Post by charlie0311 »

thx jwolf for trying to help this guy.

the PBEM drove me nuts for about a week, but i'm a computer moron.
Less so now.

the emails you guys send back and forth have the game saves (individual turns, after you get the set up started) "attached" (the paperclip icon) to those emails. Click the paperclip, then add attachment. the attachment you want is in the /dat/save directory for wite.

Hope this helps some. The procedure for downloading attachments and then transferring them into the wite files can differ somewhat depending on your browser/email combination. The matrix helpdesk may be able to walk you through it.

charlie

Return to “Opponents Wanted”