Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario - 6/6/2014 7:51:16 AM   
ubiquitous

For the last week or so I have been working, by pure coincidence, on a scenario taking place during the 101st Airbourne landings on D-Day. It strikes me that today, of all days, is the perfect time to release.

Here's the scenario description:

quote:

It's shortly after midnight on 6th June 1944, and the fate of the world will soon be decided. Around 13,100 paratroopers of the U.S. 82nd Airborne and 101st Airborne Divisions will drop on the Cotentin Peninsula tonight, beginning the largest invasion in history and, with it, the fight to liberate Europe from the scourge of Nazism.

Much of the night's fighting will take place North of Carentan, behind a strip of coast that will be forever immortalised as Utah Beach. Men of the 101st Airborne must secure key "exits" to allow the main invasion force to leave the beach and move inland. Elsewhere, German artillery emplacements threaten the approaching landing craft and key crossing points must be secured.

Whilst the 7. Armee waits unawares below, a storm gathers above the landing zones. And so it is that the men of the 101st find themselves scattered, disoriented and with the clock ticking...

More information, including details of the historical sources that I used can be found on my blog. I can't post links here, but a Google search for "Ubiquitous Game Creative" should take you there.

Feedback is, of course, welcome.

The scenario is attached to this post, or can be downloaded at http://ubiquitousgame.wordpress.com/2014/06/06/command-ops-bftb-scenario-d-day-airbourne/.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ubiquitous -- 8/6/2014 7:20:27 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario - 6/6/2014 7:51:51 AM   
ubiquitous

And here's a screenshot...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ubiquitous -- 8/6/2014 7:16:24 PM >

(in reply to ubiquitous)
Post #: 2
RE: D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario - 6/6/2014 11:51:49 AM   
simovitch

Nice! I'll check it out when I get a chance.

simovitch

(in reply to ubiquitous)
Post #: 3
RE: D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario - 6/6/2014 12:23:43 PM   
ChrisMaiorana

Nice job indeed. Map looks great!

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 4
RE: D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario - 6/6/2014 5:27:50 PM   
rickier65

Can you post a link to your blog?

Thanks
Rick

(in reply to ChrisMaiorana)
Post #: 5
RE: D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario - 6/6/2014 6:05:48 PM   
ubiquitous

No, I'm afraid I can't. The forum rules are: no links before 7 days after your tenth post. You should be able to find it with a quick Google search.

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 6
RE: D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario - 6/6/2014 7:10:20 PM   
justadude

Hi,

it says I need a newer version to load this. I am running version 4.4.263

I have read posts about a 4.5.265, but I can not find it. The updater says I have the newest version.

< Message edited by justadude -- 6/6/2014 8:12:40 PM >

(in reply to ubiquitous)
Post #: 7
RE: D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario - 6/6/2014 7:28:49 PM   
ubiquitous

I run version 4.6.278, which you can download by going to the Matrix Games homepage and logging into the Members' area.

(in reply to justadude)
Post #: 8
RE: D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario - 6/6/2014 8:53:43 PM   
Phoenix100

Fantastic, Ubiq. Great job. Will certainly try to play it this weekend.

Peter

(in reply to ubiquitous)
Post #: 9
RE: D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario - 6/7/2014 9:36:51 AM   
dazkaz15

Looks awesome ubiquitous

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 10
RE: D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario - 7/22/2014 11:16:59 AM   
Haplo_Patryn

Do I understand these scenarios are not compatible with the last patch?

The british and Carentan maps are wonderful, btw.

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 11
RE: D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario - 7/22/2014 2:19:58 PM   
Phoenix100

Haplo. To make the map compatible (with whichever version you have) then open it in Mapmaker (it will take a long time to load) then overwrite save it ('save as' and pick the file you just opened - asks you to overwrite, hit yes). Done. You can draw the cache in mapmaker too, then save again.

(in reply to Haplo_Patryn)
Post #: 12
RE: D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario - 7/22/2014 2:22:56 PM   
Haplo_Patryn

Thanks!

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 13
RE: D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario - 7/22/2014 4:52:00 PM   
Phoenix100

Though that said I just ran the Carentan one and it seemed to load fine as is, without 'conversion' via the process above (I'm on .279).

(in reply to Haplo_Patryn)
Post #: 14
RE: D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario - 7/25/2014 11:18:11 PM   
governato

[edit]

Everything works fine with .46279!

< Message edited by governato -- 7/26/2014 12:54:20 AM >

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 15
RE: D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario - 8/4/2014 3:41:40 PM   
Phoenix100

Ubiq. I finally got round to properly trying out this scenario, playing Allies. I have a couple of questions:

1. Did you alter the unit and leader stats at all, for the Allies, or just leave them generic?
2. Is it intentional that the Allies can get no supply throughout the scenario? Even though you have allocated 100% supply in the supply drop down, there's no SEP there from which it could come, and no base for it to go to.

(in reply to governato)
Post #: 16
RE: D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario - 8/4/2014 6:00:42 PM   
ubiquitous

Hey Phoenix,

1. I at least lowered the cohesion of the paratroops, but looking again at the scenario it seems like I didn't change much else. I wanted to put out a new version of this scenario anyway now that I figured out how to change the map textures, so this might be a good excuse to also fix the stats. Do you have any particular requests?

2. This was deliberate. The scenario last 12 hours and for most of that time the Allies have only paratroopers behind enemy lines so resupply didn't seem realistic. Do you think that causes game play problems? You're right to say that if there is no supply route then the side's supply should probably be set to zero--that was an oversight on my part.

I should say that I play-tested this scenario a couple of times, but I would be interested in hearing general views on the overall balance.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 17
RE: D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario - 8/4/2014 6:16:45 PM   
Phoenix100

I've played it through once so far, as Allies, and got a draw. But I wasn't paying proper attention, I think, as I somehow hadn't noticed the 7am expiry on the causeway vic locs.....I'll try and again and concentrate better! The sheer volume of points available from alternative sources is interesting. IT means you could get 100 without taking the causeways, maybe, and certainly get 100 by just taking the causeways, which would mean how well you do depends upon what the Axis is tasked to do. I haven't looked at that yet, as don't want to spoil it for myself.

I adapted it by randomising all the commander and unit stats, applying a 10% random factor and setting most things around 70 or 80% for both sides. I also gave the paras 200% starting ammo as I was worried about them running out with no base and SEP. I think you could put a base and sep in to try to represent the fact that they would surely not have only had what they were capable of carrying? (Actually, I don't know if this is true). Would some paras not have been dropped with a small supply stock, and responsibility for distributing it? I agree, it would look odd, however, if there were trucks running around. Maybe it will work on 100% supply without a base. I'll let you know. Map is great. Be interested in your improvements. Thanks!

(in reply to ubiquitous)
Post #: 18
RE: D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario SPOILER ALERT - 8/5/2014 10:02:06 PM   
Phoenix100

***SPOILER ALERT: D-DAY LANDINGS BY UBIQUITOUS***

Hey Ubiq. Played through again with your stock scenario, unmodded. Got a draw again. This time we both got 100VPs. This seems odd - that both sides should achieve full points and hence draw. I think this set up needs tinkering with a little. Intuitively, I would like it to be harder for one side to get 100 VPs if the other side does - for there to be a relation between what each can do in terms of VPs. It says in the briefing that the priority is the causeways, so I think if I manage to get, say, 2 out of 4 of them under control, then I ought to win and it ought to be set up so that the Axis tries to contest that, and if they manage to successfully contest it then I lose. Just my thoughts on it, of course. As it is, I can - as I did in the pic below - put nearly all my force into grabbing one causeway and one other lesser village objective (plus the 'given' of Utah beach itself) and get 100 points and still only draw, because the Axis can grab, uncontested, enough other objectives (that I'm not going for at all) to also get 100 VPs. It's an interesting set up, as it is, because I feel I will continually be left puzzled as to how to win. I'm not even sure it would be possible, for either side, because there are so many rich points opportunities, and so few forces available. That might, indeed, even represent a rough historical accuracy, but from the point of view of a 'game' I would prefer if the AI had to stop the beach troops getting across the causeways, say, and the paras had to grab the causeways, and victory, for either side, depended on that. It's easy enough for me to change myself, but I thought I would let you know, anyway. Enjoyed it, however! Thanks again!

Peter

PS: I will try again, using the tactic of trying to dedicate one Bn to spreading out and blocking possession of enough of the other objectives to deny the Axis AI full VPs. Not sure I have a strong enough force to (a) take one causeway - 75 points, (b) take one adjacent village - probs St. Marie du Mont - 25 points (though given I will get 25 points for Utah beach maybe I don't need to), (c), deny possession of 5 more vic locs to the AI. But I'll try!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by phoenix -- 8/6/2014 12:03:56 PM >

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 19
RE: D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario SPOILER ALERT - 8/6/2014 6:23:42 PM   
ubiquitous

Pheonix, you are right. At one point I doubled the number of points available but forgot to double the threshold for 'total victory' so, of course, both sides easily achieve a total victory every time. I uploaded a new version that fixes this and also includes my updated map (with new terrain texture and proper boccage/hedgerow)--see above. Thanks for doing a better job of playtesting than I did .

< Message edited by ubiquitous -- 8/6/2014 7:24:32 PM >

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 20
RE: D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario SPOILER ALERT - 8/6/2014 9:45:13 PM   
Phoenix100

Thanks Ubiq. I've downloaded it. The way you've set it up now the Allies will have to take and hold the main (southernmost)causeway plus about 4 or 5 other key village locations (or the more northern causeways) to stand a chance of winning. The Axis will also have to hold a greater number of locations. Is that what you intended - to spread the fight around the map? I guess so (otherwise why have such a beautiful map - and I really like the new bocage textures). Did you try it? I would be frightened that you would end up - with the relatively meagre forces available - with no side able to control any victory location at all (remember you have to get all the enemy out of the circle to control it and have a certain numerical superiority in there, I think). But it might be an interesting tactical challenge, for sure, as to take control of some of the more defended locations will require a concentration of forces which will strip your ability to control others. The key thing would then be whether you ended up fighting over the same locations. I look forward to trying it out. Many thanks!

Peter

(in reply to ubiquitous)
Post #: 21
RE: D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario SPOILER ALERT - 8/6/2014 10:00:48 PM   
ubiquitous

I played this through a couple of times as allies and achieved a minor victory on both outings. I think it will be quite hard to get a significant margin of victory, but I regard this as somehow realistic: I think that shortly after midday on the 6th June there was a sense that things were going the allies' way, but nothing like a decisive victory by such an early stage and still a very real uncertainty about whether the invasion would work come undone. Curious to hear your experience.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 22
RE: D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario SPOILER ALERT - 8/6/2014 11:37:06 PM   
jimcarravall

quote:

ORIGINAL: ubiquitous

I played this through a couple of times as allies and achieved a minor victory on both outings. I think it will be quite hard to get a significant margin of victory, but I regard this as somehow realistic: I think that shortly after midday on the 6th June there was a sense that things were going the allies' way, but nothing like a decisive victory by such an early stage and still a very real uncertainty about whether the invasion would work come undone. Curious to hear your experience.

I've learned victory conditions are a difficult balancing act.

From the German POV at D-Day, the strategic focus was making any strike against the Nazi fortress Europe appear futile and costly enough to sap allied will to continue the fight. Immediate tactics should be to contain any incursion onto the continent and force the residual force into terrain where it can be destroyed in detail.

From the US POV at D-Day, the strategic focus was to gain a useful lodgement on the continent within which a counter attack can be assembled in a relatively safe manner. Immediate tactics should be seizing key terrain in the landing zone to facilitate strengthening the toe hold with follow on forces.

Balancing the number of points awarded for attaining those different goals is the critical exercise in balancing the scenario.

I think playtesting should be conducted in two phases.

The first determines whether the forces interacting are conducting their operations in a manner that reflects the historical reality of the situation. In broadest terms it determines whether the locations selected as objectives are achievable as a human player and drive the AI to defend in a manner that is realistic and challenging to address from either side as the human player. While I realize supply isn't part of your consideration during a relatively short term operations, if one were to include longer term operations that demand implementation of supply operations as a consideration, it also would be used to determine that the entry points and the supplying operations were capable of sustaining the engaged forces over a longer term in a manner that reflects how they were able to fight during the original operation.

Once one determines they get a combat that reflects the historical record, then the parameters of increasing supply, changing the weather, altering the reinforcement schedule can be applied to add or subtract capabilities to opposing forces so a player can construct combat in a manner which addresses that player's personal skills and desires for complexity.

The second would be used to refine the rewards / awards for addressing different victory objectives. In this particular scenario, Germans would be awarded more victory credit for inflicting casualties on the allied force than the allied force would receive for inflicting casualties on the Germans. Allies would receive more victory credit for taking geographic locations to allow follow on support at the end of the combat than Germans might receive for holding those same objectives during the term of combat without inflicting many allied casualties.

This is the way I break my work into "chewable bites" as I work on a personal scenario. I'm more comfortable breaking processes into more finite steps than trying to solve everything at once.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

jim

(in reply to ubiquitous)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> D-Day Airbourne Landings Scenario Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI