Withdrawals?

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

Michael T

Withdrawals?

Post by Michael T »

Are there any withdrawals accounted for in this game? If so where are they listed?
mmarquo

RE: Withdrawals?

Post by mmarquo »

Your withdrawals will be found in the dead pile; get out while you can. 😄
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Its not the Soviet deadpile I am concerned with, yet….. [X(]

More so the SS Mech XX that IIRC were withdrawn in July-Sept 42?

Do they get withdrawn?

Stalin demands answers!
RCHarmon

Post by RCHarmon »

No withdraws. 11th Army and Meinstein stays. Heavy arty stays.

Trapp and Case Blue Long have different OOBSs. In Case Blue long LAH isn't there.
mmarquo

Post by mmarquo »

The Soviet dead pile just got bigger 😎
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

How strange. Why would Vic make an historical game that does not follow conventional historical Axis OOB comings and goings?

I have searched this forum for other similar posts and find nothing. Has this point not occured to others?

Vic???
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I should add that I accept the situation and will quite happily play as Axis with these extra troops one day as well. But it strikes me as very odd that it exists as it is and that it hasn't raised eyebrows previously.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

The GD XX is listed to arrive on 19 June 42, and again 12 Feb 1943. So presumabley it must withdraw at some point between these two dates. Or perhaps you will get 2 x GD Marquo! [X(]
RCHarmon

Post by RCHarmon »

Issue had come up and has been discussed. I kind of like it how it is. It's just numbers. The available men is what you have and you can organize them how you wish. Let me create or disband the corps/divisions that I want. The total available men for the game doesn't change(with the understanding of cards).
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Well I will wait for comment from Vic before saying too much more.

But I am curious as to what happens with SS AH and GD. Because there are two instances of each in the printed OOB material. So either one instance must withdraw at some point or both will co exist.
Vic

Post by Vic »

It has been discussed a lot earlier and yes there are no redraws. It is impossible to implement this well without causing a hell of a lot of exploits (like purposefully wearing those units out).

If you want you can of course use house rules or making a mod by adding events. But all in all I have decided against implementing these historical redrawls. It aint perfect I agree.

Best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

So what happens when you get 2 GD XX's? And 2 AH SS XX's? Can you rename them?

I hope you come up with something better for DC3.
mmarquo

Post by mmarquo »

RCH,

What is the "understanding of cards" mean?

Vic,

WITE addresses this by forcing the withdrawn unit to get priority on replacements until it is up to 75% strength. I do not mind unless the umber of troops creeps over what was historically available. Hopefully extensive testing showed that this does not disequilibrate the game.

RCHarmon

Post by RCHarmon »

You don't get 2 of the same unit.

Historically, divisions were pulled for different reasons. Some where pulled because they were destroyed. Is it historical to pull a unit from game if it is not destroyed in game? The WITE system is a terrible system and they are maintaining a very strict historical withdraw system. I have played both and this is better hands down.

There are pluses and minuses to each way in addressing withdraws. I think DC has a better system. It always comes down to available men. In a way the Axis gets a bump with keeping Mainstein and a couple divisions. I think you need that bump or you get stalled out to easily. Rostov can be very hard to take in this game where historically it wasn't that hard(relatively speaking). Rostov opens the door to the entire south. The Axis player can be tied up there for a number of turns finally relying on brute force to take it. Historically, that wasn't the case. The game is not perfect.

Marco,

If you want to build a SS Motorized Division you can. There are no where near the replacements coming in that you need so you must resort to using cards, and the SS cards at that. You must play a lot of these cards. In the end you get the division (an influx of SS troops). What is the cost? In the long run you suffer by not using cards for the other parts of the army. It is not worth it. So cards, if you play them to lets say only for infantry replacements you will see an increase of the infantry. This may not be the best way to use cards. Sometimes it is essential to get more staff for the corps that you are trying to build or etc.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

RCH what do you get then? The OOB states the GD and AH twice?

Can someone explain what happens when a second GD and AH arrives?

RCHarmon

Post by RCHarmon »

Hey I'm sorry Mike I don't understand your question.

If I look at Reinforcement Unit Guide vs 1.00 I see the Grossduetchland arriving at 19 june 1942. I don't see the LAH in the guide at all.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Rich, check out the updated guide in the errata folder 1.06. You will see GD XX twice. Once in June 1942 and again in early 1943. AH is on the map at start and is listed again to enter in early 1943.

The world wonders....
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Historically both those divisions were withdrawn to rebuild/upgrade in 1942 and returned in 1943.

Its nuts to say Case Blue doesn't have withdrawals, but then include units that return that haven't been withdrawn. You can't have it both ways. Its nonsensical. I must be missing something here.
mmarquo

Post by mmarquo »

I think the point is that the total number of assets available maybe +/- accurate just deployed different. If they were withdrawn to be refit then this represents a bump in assets not accounted for in the constant replacement rate. And yes units can be renamed by clicking the name. Hopefully this is simply a work around design for effect.

Vic

Post by Vic »

Hi Michael,

Valid questions. In fact a unit will be taken off the reinforcement list for a specific game immediately if it is already present on the map at start of the game.

So this should be a satifying answer for LSAH (which is present in Trappenjagd and Case Blue but not in Uranus). But I have to say that I made an error in the last patch for GD. If you start the game in Trappenjagd (GD will arrive in June) and play all the way to Feb43 you will get an extra GD division. I put it on the to-do list, but seriously it will happen very very rarely somebody plays all the way from May 42 to Feb 43.

Best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”