Matrix Games Forums

Hell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sea Lion - Rye

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Sea Lion - Rye Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sea Lion - Rye - 5/31/2014 5:41:27 PM   
ubiquitous

This is my first attempt at a scenario for Command Ops: Battles From the Bulge. It is based around a hypothetical scenario in which Germany has executed the historically planned occupation of Great Britain, code-named Operation Sea Lion. The scenario takes place on a section of the Sussex coast in the vicinity of a town called Rye (the map is hand-traced from a modern Ordnance Survey map). The scenario opens shortly after German forces have put ashore at Camber, and tasks them with capturing a number of local towns to establish a perimeter around a secure beachhead.

This was mostly an exercise for me to familiarise myself with the map and scenario editor for this game; the order of battle is roughly based on historical plans, but is by no means 1oo% historically accurate (e.g., I know that the German VII. Armeekorps—consisting of the 7. Infantrie Division and 1. Gebirgs Division—was due to land on the Sussex coast, but some details in the lower OOB and the equipment might be wrong).

Having gotten this experience under my belt, I am hoping that my next project will be more closely based on historical records and sources.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Sea Lion - Rye - 5/31/2014 7:12:20 PM   
jimcarravallah

quote:

ORIGINAL: ubiquitous

This is my first attempt at a scenario for Command Ops: Battles From the Bulge. It is based around a hypothetical scenario in which Germany has executed the historically planned occupation of Great Britain, code-named Operation Sea Lion. The scenario takes place on a section of the Sussex coast in the vicinity of a town called Rye (the map is hand-traced from a modern Ordnance Survey map). The scenario opens shortly after German forces have put ashore at Camber, and tasks them with capturing a number of local towns to establish a perimeter around a secure beachhead.

This was mostly an exercise for me to familiarise myself with the map and scenario editor for this game; the order of battle is roughly based on historical plans, but is by no means 1oo% historically accurate (e.g., I know that the German VII. Armeekorps—consisting of the 7. Infantrie Division and 1. Gebirgs Division—was due to land on the Sussex coast, but some details in the lower OOB and the equipment might be wrong).

Having gotten this experience under my belt, I am hoping that my next project will be more closely based on historical records and sources.

The map is excellent.

The scenario looks interesting, particularly with the state of the invading troops at start, achieving a beachhead but incurring so much fatigue in the crossing that it's difficult to push inland immediately.

I'd guess this would have been the status of Nazi invading forces, as the lack of dedicated naval invasion assets and a potential 50-mile crossing in open boats to land a significant force would not lend itself to landing a formation in the best of combat health.

Take care,

jim

(in reply to ubiquitous)
Post #: 2
RE: Sea Lion - Rye - 6/3/2014 10:40:05 AM   
phoenix

Superb map, Ubiq. Really impressive. That's the kind of detailed, accurate map I really love in this game, that makes the most of the game features. Many thanks for taking the time to trace it out in such detail. How long did it take, as a matter of interest? Is the scenario to be played from either side or meant for Axis only?

(in reply to jimcarravallah)
Post #: 3
RE: Sea Lion - Rye - 6/3/2014 6:09:25 PM   
ubiquitous

Thank you both for the feedback.

The map tracing took approximately 4 hours. Actually, I am mega impressed by the quality of modding tools that are made available with this game. I have modded dozens of games from a wide variety of genres over the years and Command Ops' editors rank close to the very top in terms of their combination of power and flexibility.

As for sides, I had in mind that it would be played by Axis, which I think provides the more interesting challenge. I would of course, though, be happy to hear that people had a good time of it will the Brits.

As hinted at above, I am still getting to grips with Command Ops and it is unclear to me how well-balanced the scenario is, so I would also be very happy to hear any feedback on that front. In any case, everyone is very welcome to use the map for their own purposes if they think they can put together a more compelling scenario.

My next project—a map/scenario based around the airbourne landings behind Utah beach on D-Day—is more historically grounded, and I hope to be in a position to circulate that soon.

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 4
RE: Sea Lion - Rye - 6/3/2014 8:54:25 PM   
phoenix

I was going to try it as Brits, maybe at the weekend, maybe tomorrow.... I'll let you know how we get on. Be really excited to see a Normandy map that was that detailed and accurate. You will use period maps and do it to the same level of detail? That would be fantastic, Ubiq. I think the quality of the maps and the level of detail is the one thing that's super important, along with the OOBs, of course. The other details of scenarios - the balance etc - are very easy to tinker with in scenmaker, but I seriously take my hat off to the mapmakers, and those who set up whole new estabs. That's time consuming work that's beyond me. And the maps look so beautiful when done with that level of detail. Makes you really want to play it. If I were you I would post a screen shot of the map in the first post, so people can see what it looks like. I think more will download if they see it.
Here's one now - hope you don't mind:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ubiquitous)
Post #: 5
RE: Sea Lion - Rye - 6/3/2014 8:55:27 PM   
phoenix

And a detail:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 6
RE: Sea Lion - Rye - 6/5/2014 12:06:39 AM   
CapHillrat

Well done! Looks great!!

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 7
RE: Sea Lion - Rye - 6/5/2014 9:21:23 PM   
dazkaz15

It looks superb
Well done mate.

(in reply to CapHillrat)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Sea Lion - Rye Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI