Universe modding is flawed

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

maled

Universe modding is flawed

Post by maled »

1) Cannot place bonus ruins (i.e. Unity Forum) on Galaxy Map
2) Cannot add new special components for races (they seems to be hard-coded?)

Can/will it be fixed in future upgrades?

Appreciate great work on Universe though.
Darkspire

RE: Universe modding is flawed

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: maled

1) Cannot place bonus ruins (i.e. Unity Forum) on Galaxy Map
2) Cannot add new special components for races (they seems to be hard-coded?)

Can/will it be fixed in future upgrades?

Appreciate great work on Universe though.

1) Ruins are placed on planets not the Galaxy Map.

2) Special components are not hard-coded, you define a component in components.txt and then add the number of that component to the race file of the race that you want to use that special component.
* Refer to the modding guide, page 34 for further detail.

Darkspire
maled

Post by maled »

ORIGINAL: Darkspire

2) Special components are not hard-coded, you define a component in components.txt and then add the number of that component to the race file of the race that you want to use that special component.

Darkspire

1) galaxy map = editor = planets - do you think all the people are idiots? So, smarty, would you tell me then how to place Unity Forum (+20% empire-wide diplomatic bonus) or Fortress of Torak (+200% troop strength bonus) ON THE PLANET, please?
2) yep, true, must missed it.
pmelheck1

Post by pmelheck1 »

please keep the discussion civil or take any nasty comments or personal attacks to the steam forums where they belong.

If you are not getting an answer to your modding question than send a PM to elliotg. He has been most helpful from what I've seen.
Mad Igor

Post by Mad Igor »

people are idiots
yet "those" people creating offtopics in subforums just because they can.
that's pretty smart,iKnow.
i usually don't bother to even look at them,but you apparently of all those peoples don't know simple manners. don't expect help when you feel entitled to get one.
cuz you are not.
Nachodsk

Post by Nachodsk »

Darkspire

1) galaxy map = editor = planets - do you think all the people are idiots? So, smarty, would you tell me then how to place Unity Forum (+20% empire-wide diplomatic bonus) or Fortress of Torak (+200% troop strength bonus) ON THE PLANET, please?
2) yep, true, must missed it.

If you want an answer, just avoid the word 'idiots' and change for something more sutile like 'naabe' or 'newbies'

However, if you have a problem and you want an answer, be nice to others and don't throw nasty words, you could be talking to an idiot, or WE could be talking to a non-sense faggot like you.
Osito

Post by Osito »

I would also be interested in the answer to this question, as it wasn't obvious to me whether it was possible to add in these special ruins.
Osito
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

I was going to comment in my first post that posting a thread with that sort of an attitude would not go down to well with the responses, in retrospect I feel I should have done.

I help everyone I can on here, be it by post, being sent a message, I will even put time into error checking on themes that folk are having problems with, but when it comes down to being insulted for answering a question with the correct answer for the question asked I draw the line. I will not visit the Steam forums as this sort of thing seems to be quite the norm over there, I think folk ought to start learning the correct etiquette for interacting with a public forum that prides itself on being both friendly and helpful before posting replies that both insult the good folk here and belittle themselves in the process.

Darkspire
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

This community has always been a lot of fun because by and large everyone treats everyone with dignity.
I think you will see the old veterans disappear with stuff like this happening. That would be really a sad thing.

Darkspire -- along with others -- has always been a huge help.
Please let us keep the forum where people look forward to signing on.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Antarian

Post by Antarian »

All Elite Guards should remember how frustrating this game was in the beginning to mod for noobs. It's like coding Java, if it crashes, good luck figuring out WTF went wrong. One baby step add on at a time, run the game, hold breath, see if crashes, add another, run game, see if crashes, it's brutal.

A debugger tool for the game, say a way to turn on verbose debug messaging or something, would have really helped the mod community.

Another point is, the help for this game is not well written and the UI is not the greatest, and imo, has actually gone down hill from last release to DWE.

That being said, flame wars are counter-productive to modding progress, and all dogs know, you don't bite the hand that feeds you.
"If there are gods, they do not care, and justice always goes to the strong. But remember this: All that is done before the naked stars is remembered" Klingon proverb.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

A debugger tool for the game, say a way to turn on verbose debug messaging or something, would have really helped the mod community.

There is a more informative description of error reporting with themes, it was added during the development of Universe, it is by no means authoritative but it does work from feedback during testing.

Darkspire
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

This should be locked.
Beastro

Post by Beastro »

Regardless of the OPs tone it is something I'd like to know as well being a newbie myself, however rude he was.

I've just begun playing the game, but I like to edit my home system at the start when playing as Mankind to make my system into the one we all know and love as out home. It's frustrating though because I not only have to keep reloading to get a continental planet close to where Earth is in the system (if I just remake one and move my homeworld there the my development gets stuck at 50 which I can't raise to the number the world you spawned with comes with cutting my GDP and other stats in half) but also get a ruin on a planet or moon I plan on not deleting, since it seems every start begins with a war precursor ruin somewhere in every home system and if you delete the close in frozen gas giant with the moon that has to it replace it with Jupiter, Io, Europe, Ganymede and Callisto you can't place the ruin back as far as I've seen.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: Beastro
Regardless of the OPs tone it is something I'd like to know as well being a newbie myself, however rude he was.
I've just begun playing the game, but I like to edit my home system at the start when playing as Mankind to make my system into the one we all know and love as out home. It's frustrating though because I not only have to keep reloading to get a continental planet close to where Earth is in the system (if I just remake one and move my homeworld there the my development gets stuck at 50 which I can't raise to the number the world you spawned with comes with cutting my GDP and other stats in half) but also get a ruin on a planet or moon I plan on not deleting, since it seems every start begins with a war precursor ruin somewhere in every home system and if you delete the close in frozen gas giant with the moon that has to it replace it with Jupiter, Io, Europe, Ganymede and Callisto you can't place the ruin back as far as I've seen.

This is was covered in a VERY early thread about a year or so ago... it can be done; I personally do not money with star configuration. But it can be done; I know that. Look through some of the old threads...
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: Antarian

All Elite Guards should remember how frustrating this game was in the beginning to mod for noobs.
You are correct; it really is.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

All Elite Guards should remember how frustrating this game was in the beginning to mod for noobs.

Reverse engineering, logic and a dash of luck will get you far [:)]

Darkspire
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Reverse engineering, logic and a dash of luck will get you far [:)]

Darkspire
A case of cold Romulan Ale also was a MUST!
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

Reverse engineering, logic and a dash of luck will get you far [:)]Darkspire
A case of cold Romulan Ale also was a MUST!
Well, Romulan Ale does inspire you, but then I find I mess up on all those commas in the .txt files
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Some of the comments in this thread are completely unacceptable. Personal insults will not be tolerated so please take this as a warning Nachodsk.

Maled please think about your tone when posting. You are new so you may not know but your attitude is what sparked this off and its completely unnecessary. This is a friendly place and treat as such or you will have to find somewhere else to post.

I am locking this up now and if you want to start the conversation again in a civil way please go for it.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

Return to “Design and Modding”