Most Unofficial Brazil 2014 World Cup Thread

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

TulliusDetritus

Most Unofficial Brazil 2014 World Cup Thread

Post by TulliusDetritus »

Well, we had on the past on this very same section of the forums World and Euro Cups threads: 2008, 2010 and 2012 minimum. Before that date, I can’t remember.

Warspite wanted to use the European Championships thread instead but in my opinion this event deserves its own thread. After all, all the other 2008, 2010 and 2012 Cups had their own independent threads.

Needless to say, NO politics here as we don’t want it locked. This is about football. I guess some Mourinho or parking-the-bus or [insert here the tactics, players you dislike] baitings are most welcome though

Whatever. I start.

I only see 3 teams bagging the title. Brazil (at home and Brazil is always Brazil), Argentina and Germany. I would even add it’s going to be between Brazil and Germany.

Positive surprises: Portugal, they could even get to the final, who knows; and Belgium: small country but with a very talented generation, let’s see if they manage to put them to good use.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
warspite1

RE: Most Unofficial Brazil 2014 World Cup Thread

Post by warspite1 »

Only one country has won the tournament outside of their own continent. On that basis a South American victory seems most likely. If so then Brazil or Argentina would be the most sensible guesses. A European country? I doubt it personally.

Instead, I am going to have a little wager on an African winner. You never know, a lot of stranger things have happened in football..... like Spurs keeping the same manager for more than 5 minutes. I'm sure that happened once.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
TulliusDetritus

ORIGINAL: warspite1
Instead, I am going to have a little wager on an African winner. You never know, a lot of stranger things have happened in football.....

That would be indeed veeeeery strange. I can't see that happening though. If you want to win world-class players are a must. And this is a product of coincidence in my opinion. The 3 Big Ones (utter professionals): Brazil, Italy and Germany are more or less always *there* near the final (and bagging titles too) but the others... they only shine when coincidence, luck, manages to gather (at the right moment and place) great players. England in 64, Argentina in 78 and 86, France in 1998, Spain in 2010.

Anyway, the groups:

Attachments
groups.jpg
groups.jpg (21.99 KiB) Viewed 641 times
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus
Instead, I am going to have a little wager on an African winner. You never know, a lot of stranger things have happened in football.....

That would be indeed veeeeery strange. I can't see that happening though. If you want to win world-class players are a must. And this is a product of coincidence in my opinion. The 3 Big Ones (utter professionals): Brazil, Italy and Germany are more or less always *there* near the final (and bagging titles too) but the others... they only shine when coincidence, luck, manages to gather (at the right moment and place) great players. England in 64, Argentina in 78 and 86, France in 1998, Spain in 2010.

Anyway, the groups:

warspite1

England in 64? I don't think so [;)]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Anyway, the groups:

warspite1

I am still truly mystified as to how France got that group [:@] Conspiracy, fix, cheats, Platini [:D]

Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

So where are the hot pictures of half naked Brazilian women?
Favoritism is alive and well here.
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

What are the chances USA will do good? No one is picking them and my soccer friends say they are in the group of death.
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: rogo727

What are the chances USA will do good? No one is picking them and my soccer friends say they are in the group of death.
warspite1

If the USA get out of that group I will be amazed. That is a TOUGH group [X(]

terje439

Post by terje439 »

My prediction - England will go through the initial stage just fine, then lose on penalties [:@]
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Opening Match on the 12th June. Brazil v Croatia....

It's ....

Have to go for Brazil but I am sure Croatia will try to upset the Samba..

Best wishes,
Steve
Attachments
CroatianF..ballFan.jpg
CroatianF..ballFan.jpg (6.87 KiB) Viewed 640 times
brazilfoo..lfan22.jpg
brazilfoo..lfan22.jpg (59.49 KiB) Viewed 640 times
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
Orm

Post by Orm »

I am still truly mystified as to how France got that group [:@] Conspiracy, fix, cheats, Platini [:D]
I suspect that there are a lot of foul play going on during and before such tournaments. But I do not believe that fixing the draw is one of them. But, then again, I might be naive. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

I suspect that there are a lot of foul play going on during and before such tournaments. But I do not believe that fixing the draw is one of them. But, then again, I might be naive. [:)]
warspite1

I do not believe the draw was fixed either...except of course by the French [:D]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Split loyalties perhaps? or just a confused young lady?

Attachments
news25_8.jpg
news25_8.jpg (210.29 KiB) Viewed 641 times

TulliusDetritus

Anyway, the groups:

warspite1

England in 64? I don't think so [;)]

Oops! I meant 66, sorry [8D]
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

What is everyone's picks for group winners?
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
terje439

Post by terje439 »

A - Brazil
B - Spain
C - Colombia
D - Italy
E - France
F - Argentina
G - Portugal
H - Russia

Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Brazil, Spain, Ivory Coast, Italy, France, Argentina, Germany, Belgium

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

Group A - Brazil
Group B - Chile
Group C - Colombia
Group D - Uruguay
Group E - France
Group F - Argentina
Group G - Germany
Group H - Belgium

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Two of you pick Germany...They never start off too good, just good enough to get through the initial round, THEN the machinery starts going. Just saying [;)]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: terje439

Two of you pick Germany...They never start off too good, just good enough to get through the initial round, THEN the machinery starts going. Just saying [;)]
warspite1

That's normally Italy's modus operandi - 1982 being the most extreme example - they were rubbish in the group stage!

Would you believe you have to go back to 1986 for the last time (West) Germany did not win their initial group?!?!?!

Return to “General Discussion”