Be Honest :-)

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

mikewest777

Be Honest :-)

Post by mikewest777 »

Hi there,

This is about the seventh time I have looked in on this forum to see if this game is working well enough to consider buying. Please be honest :-) is it in a good enough state now? and are there many takers for PBEM on the site?
Tylom

RE: Be Honest :-)

Post by Tylom »

I'll be honest...It has many problems. If you are a fan of the board game(and I vote for it as top 10 of all games ever made)then you can have fun with it. The solo play is generally less buggy than the multi-play but the AI is pretty weak. Still, you can play the game and get the feel of it..and have fun beating it pretty easily.
I have been playing it PBEM for years now(through a lot of patches) and it is generally OK. It still has a lot of issues that have to be handled by the game admin..notably the transfer of money between allies. There is no way I can say this is a perfect game. All the same, I have played several games, have always found someone to play with and enjoy the game. I have yet to finish one. It is slow because of the amount of files that have to be exchanged and time to get everyone to send in, but that is more the players than the game.
If you love Empires in Arms and are willing to be frustrated and endure, then it can be a lot of fun.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Welcome Tylom, thanks for that update.  AFAIK the game still has active players like Tylom.  The game admin menu updated in v1.08 at least allows the admins more ability to correct some of the bugs like money transfers.  Hopefully Marshall will fix this and other lingering pbem issues and other little bugs when he gets back to development work.

To be honest, the game state is stable and playable.  It is not a perfect recreation of the boardgame version but it is a good adaptation.  Multiplayer is playable but slow due to the number of file transfers, not the game itself.  Marshall does want to eventually implement a NetPlay capability one of these days and that may help speed things up.  And the AI has its weaknesses but is still pretty good for learning the game.  Again, hopefully Marshall will tackle some more of these AI weaknesses whenever he gets back to it.  Overall, the game is working much better now and is slowly continuing to improve. 
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Athelas2211

Post by Athelas2211 »

I am so into this game, is it still being atched? Is Marshal ding anything to it?
Will it also be published on Steam? Maybe something like Distant world Universe could be published for this game too, but make it more friendly, editing tool for player made scenarios etc?

also better MP system.

This would be very good on steam.
playing RTS, strategy and RPG games from ...ever?

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”