Modding Component Images. Replacing them.

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Atrocities

Modding Component Images. Replacing them.

Post by Atrocities »

I have over a 100 unique component images that I have made over the years for image mods for games and I would like to try set up a component mod here. I have component images for Star Trek, Star Wars, B5, Buck Rogers, and custom,etc

What I need to know is what is the actually size for component images. Right now they vary and its hard to know what is the base line for them. Is there a base image size that all images can be or do they each need to be a specific variant size? If they can all be the same size then what size should they be? 32x32 or is 32x28, 64x64, etc?

I will post a couple of links to some images. It is ok with me if you want to use them for your mods. I have many many more. In fact a few of them are in games on STEAM. (either art work or actual game images.) -should be noted that these are original works by myself. Not taken from other sources. I can render them as small as 2x2 and as large as 1000x1000.

My objective is to replace the stock component images with uniform looking ones that have improved image quality and standardized orientation. Images that match the component they are coupled with. A missile looks like a missile, a Rail Gun looks like a rail gun. etc. I want to replace the, pardon me, ugly stock images with ones that are esthetically pleasing to look at.

Colony Module
Resource
Bomb Rack
Turret
Darkspire

RE: Modding Component Images. Replacing them.

Post by Darkspire »

Thank you for the resources [:)]

Would you mind if you left them at there default size and let those that use them size them accordingly. For components I myself have the same component image graphically resized 2-3 times for different sections of the theme.

Darkspire
Atrocities

Post by Atrocities »

Any one who would like to use the images posted my do so with my blessing for use with Distant Worlds mods.
Sirian

Post by Sirian »

Your component images can be of any size, the game will scale them to the size it needs them when displaying them in the UI. I tried 64x64 and 32x32 pixel sized component images. I then settled with 32x32 since that gave the best results in my opinion.

Having larger images is nice in some cases but in the most cases, the game has to rescale them to very small images and then they get horribly pixelated. There is no aliasing to smooth the icons.

In Legends (and I assume in Shadows also) there was another problem with 64x64 sized component images: The message that is displayed when you research something enlarges the icons independently of their size by a fixed factor making the icon far too large when using 64x64 images. I don't know if this problem still exists in Universe.
Atrocities

Post by Atrocities »

Thank you for the information Sirian. I will experiment around a bit and see what I can do. :D
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: Sirian

Your component images can be of any size, the game will scale them to the size it needs them when displaying them in the UI. I tried 64x64 and 32x32 pixel sized component images. I then settled with 32x32 since that gave the best results in my opinion.

Having larger images is nice in some cases but in the most cases, the game has to rescale them to very small images and then they get horribly pixelated. There is no aliasing to smooth the icons.

In Legends (and I assume in Shadows also) there was another problem with 64x64 sized component images: The message that is displayed when you research something enlarges the icons independently of their size by a fixed factor making the icon far too large when using 64x64 images. I don't know if this problem still exists in Universe.

The main reason I asked for the images to be left at their default size is because it is better to scale the images yourself, some programs are great at it, some are not, for clarity it is better to have the image for Galactopedia entry a little bit bigger so you can actually see what the item is, then when you see it in game you know exactly what it is you are looking at, you then also have the option to play with the size of the image so as get the best display of it in game, yes the game does auto size but only if a graphic is outside of the permitted size for that image.

Darkspire
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Nice!
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

Return to “Design and Modding”