Suggestion about planet generation...

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Unforeseen

Suggestion about planet generation...

Post by Unforeseen »

Ok so, some time ago while creating a replica of the real Sol System i ran into the planet size dilemma. The scaling in DW is done differently than it is in real life, thus you can't use the actual size of Earth in the game.

So, i spent my free time trying to figure out how to counter this issue. The result was a formula for converting DW planets, moons and stars into realistic versions of themselves with a realistic limit to population capacity. Now of course that was a long time ago, and i've since lost that formula(i'm working on finding it, and if that doesn't work i plan to figure it out again).

What i would "like" to be able to do is have a setting that lets me override the generator for planets, and stars for that matter to use my formula. This would cut my work in half as far as creating a giant super realistic galaxy for the community like i'm hoping to do(No promises).
Osito

RE: Suggestion about planet generation...

Post by Osito »

I don't know what your formula was, but I personally found it worked well if you fixed Jupiter and a size somewhere in the range 800-1000, then calculated the planets'/moons' sizes in accordance with the formula:

DW size of planet or moon = square root[(planet or moon actual radius)/(Jupiter actual radius)]
Osito
Unforeseen

RE: Suggestion about planet generation...

Post by Unforeseen »

I'm not sure either lol, i spent quite a few hours tuning it to where it seemed to be dead accurate and could be applied to every planet/moon/star in the galaxy. I'm kicking myself for not keeping it, i thought i was done playing DW.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”