[WIP/Interface] Deon's icons

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Deon

[WIP/Interface] Deon's icons

Post by Deon »

Hello guys. I just learned about this game, it's truely amazing!

However the icons used for interface look downscaled and not in the same style, so I've decided to make my own set of interface icons for those who like more simplistic yet stylized pictograms for interface buttons.

It's still in development, I will share the result.

Top panel:

Map panel:
RICO7878

RE: [WIP/Interface] Deon's icons

Post by RICO7878 »

Thought I'd post your screenshot for everyone else to check out [:D]

Attachments
eFuD3rM.jpg
eFuD3rM.jpg (79.48 KiB) Viewed 175 times
rankalee

Post by rankalee »

I really like the look of this. Looks simple but very easy to tell what things are. Looking forward to it!
joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

Yeah, good work and keep it up!
Joe
ChildServices

Post by ChildServices »

Ooooh, very nice.

Hey, are you the same Deon from Dwarf Fortress?
Alexander the Great, his name struck fear into hearts of men.
Deon

Post by Deon »

Yep. And it's just a quick mop-up, I plan to rework whole interface in the same style for people who like it.
Deon

Post by Deon »

A small update, I decided that my icons were too low res and upped the quality a bit, also finally decided what I want to do with "characters" button:

Also added some colors to Map panel buttons for easier distinction:
hewwo

Post by hewwo »

Hello Deon! I really like the idea of your icons. I have some constructive feedback, from just looking at the picture :)

From right to left:

1) troop icon is awesome
2) fleet icon is nice, and maybe it would be even better as a triangle of smaller triangles (1-2-3 ships)
3) I would just make it a single ship, not a ship and the circle thingy
4) I would swap this one with the next one, and make this one a crane or whatever, like in the original GUI. 2 times a hammer is potentially confusing.
5) see 4
6) I like what you'd want with the blueprint, and I think it would be better with a stylized ship outlined inside it.
7) hmmm my preference would be to make the base a bit bigger and the neck a tad shorter, but that's really just a preference. Also, I'm not sure if it would still look as good if the base is becomes wider than the %.
8) not so sure about this one... maybe make the alien head bigger and move the circle towards the bottom. It's a bit unclear as is.
9) A very nice idea, but a bit unclear as is. Perhaps make the table it's standing behind bigger or smaller, or the person a bit taller and separate it more from the table.
10)sure
11)good, but see 12.
12)nice! But because it's next to AI, which also contains a lot of horizontal elements it doesn't separate very well. Either change AI or make this more unique. Could be a line chart, or make the bars go up exponentially instead of linear.
13) I actually prefer the original, because it shows expansion, while this doesn't actually convey any meaning (or worse, gives you the idea that it is about planets, which is actually what the next icon is about). I would prefer an improved version of the original (box with outward arrows) in your style.
14)Same as 13; the original image conveyed the meaning of the screen while this one implies to me... a podium of sorts. Also, contains horizontal elements again so confuses a bit visually. I would prefer a planet in your style.

Cheers,
hewwo
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Man, this is SHARP looking. Wow!
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Deon

Post by Deon »

Thank you very much Hewwo, this is the feedback I really appreciate. I agree with most of your points and the diplomacy button is the one I dislike the most for now :). I'll definitely find something better in my head.
hewwo

Post by hewwo »

cool:) looking forward to the next version!
Deon

Post by Deon »

Here's a quick change based on your suggestions. Nothing is final, I will go to work now and review everything in the evening :)

rankalee

Post by rankalee »

ORIGINAL: Deon

Here's a quick change based on your suggestions. Nothing is final, I will go to work now and review everything in the evening :)

Starting to look better.

Only thing I don't like is the characters tab. I keep thinking it is a stone statue or something.

Something like this maybe more cool.

Attachments
People.jpg
People.jpg (43.36 KiB) Viewed 167 times
Osito

Post by Osito »

Very good!

My 2c:

1. Personally I preferred the bar chart for the victory conditions.
2. I agree with rankalee that characters could use some work, but I'm not sure his proposal will fit. Don't know if it would work to put two or three 'character' images above each other, i.e., like rankalee showed, but in vertical alignment.
3. I'm not convinced by the editor icon, but I'm not sure what you could replace it with either. Picture of a car with the bonnet (hood) open probably wouldn't be clear. A toolbox, perhaps?

Osito
Osito
Deon

Post by Deon »

I think about wrench icon for the editor. That is the button I use the least so I will definitely pay attention to that, but figure out the big buttons first. Thank you very much for the feedback.
FireLion1983

Post by FireLion1983 »

I'm liking the evolution of this; great work!
hewwo

Post by hewwo »

Yeah I never use the editor either:) Right side is really very nice now. Very good progress! Left side still could use some work.... hmmm let's see.

I would still prefer the expansion planner to somehow show expansion. Now it's more like exploration, but that's not what the screen is about (it shows stuff you already know, not stuff you still want to know, as implied by the question mark). Also it implies planets while the expansion planner is about more than just planets.

The planet button would probably be better of as a stylized planet instead of a home button, since the screen is about the planets in your empire, not your home.

and lastly the empire comparison button doesn't convey the comparing of empires to me... now it's more like a tech tree. Maybe a line chart or pie chart would be the best way to go.

I know, the suggestions are to keep it more with the original icons, but just changing it for the sake of changing is not necessarily a good idea:)

Keep up the good work!
Deon

Post by Deon »

Tried some colored variants. Man it's hard to make good-looking small icons :)

Maybe I will do it in two wariants, a monochrome and a colored one.
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

I like where these are heading. :) Particularly like the spanner and trooper. What program are you building them in? I found that one of the most difficult things was that the game does its own resizing on a lot of the icons so you lose a bit of control.
uberknight72

Post by uberknight72 »

I love it!
Though the Fleet icon looks like the Triforce ^^

My suggest is slightly smaller triangles with the bottom two spaced out a wee bit.

And a quick two c about the Characters Icon I prefer rankalee's suggestion but make the lowest character figure higher than the other two. The top figure will represent the "leader" of your empire while the lower two represents the pawns, AKA everyone else.. [&o][&o][&o][&o][:-])

Return to “Design and Modding”